Attention Native Brit Speakers!

Amo Aero

of course we are all European............

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

btw ... I like the Max Headroom series. I also purchased a book about Max Headroom by SAT.1 (a german commercial TV channel) in 1991.

Unfortunately, it doesn't run in Germany anymore ... since 1991 :(

I do believe it's

Cossey

Setch

Hun'ston

Haysburruh

Potter Hyam

Am I right? :analintruder:

Rick

Well done!

I commute through Setchey daily and I thought you had to be local to know it was pronounced Setch :)

When I was living in Scotland I used to drive through a place just outside Glasgow called Milngavie. Extra points available if anyone knows how that's pronounced locally...

Julian

Well done!

I commute through Setchey daily and I thought you had to be local to know it was pronounced Setch :)

When I was living in Scotland I used to drive through a place just outside Glasgow called Milngavie. Extra points available if anyone knows how that's pronounced locally...

Julian

Well, that's Mull-Guy!

:coat:

And I'll see your Milngavie and raise you.........

Anstruther and Freuchie!

Thats easy for a Cotswold lad raised in the Zevern vally and edicated in the 'Vorest o' Dean:-

Ainster and Frookie, baint it auld Butt.

Zo, apart from the Mad Nurse then, where be 'muchty ? and minch ?

Thats easy for a Cotswold lad raised in the Zevern vally and edicated in the 'Vorest o' Dean:-

Ainster and Frookie, baint it auld Butt.

Zo, apart from the Mad Nurse then, where be 'muchty ? and minch ?

Well done, lad! The locals (my Cockney uncle lived there) pronounce Freuchie as Frukkie, but formally, Frookie

it is?

I nearly asked for Auchtermuchty which is near Strathmiglo

Closer to where I live now is Cudworth, but I know some on here will get that.

Benbecula: the key is that it's ben-beck-you-la, not ben-be-queue-la.

Germany: thank the Romans for that. And the Francophone world calls you Allemandes, of course, while the Italophones call you Tedeschi, which only proves that every language will have its own approach. Which will be confirmed once you start looking at the names of cities. Anyone for Munich?

Or Woolfardisworthy?

Closer to where I live now is Cudworth, but I know some on here will get that.

Would that be the South Yorkshire silent 'w', as in Cuddoth? Also in Dodworth?

Doesn't apply in Wombwell, though, the exception that proves the rule :winkgrin:

Would that be the South Yorkshire silent 'w', as in Cuddoth? Also in Dodworth?

Doesn't apply in Wombwell, though, the exception that proves the rule :winkgrin:

I try to avoid anywhere around Barnsley nil

a good friend of mine is Scottish ... such a guy like Groundskeeper Willy of the Simpsons ... don't let him read that :D;)

Wouldn't native British speakers speak Welsh or Cornish? I remember meeting a chap in Dublin who said that there are villages along the Welsh border in England where Welsh is spoken. He called them the last outposts of the British language in England! I find it a bit hard to believe myself, but then there is an area called Maes-Coed in Herefordshire.

Joseph

There's that great Eddie Izzard sketch when he went to America and tried to get his head around the language differences. His verdict was that while Americans write 'Thru' and we write 'Through' that's because the British can't help but cheat at Scrabble.

Nevertheless we say 'herbs' when an American says 'erbs'... "because there's a :locked: ing 'h' in it!"

Edited by maltadefender

Anyone for Munich?

Or Woolfardisworthy?

Haha, wondered if that one would come up. Pronounced "Woolsery". I've seen it alleged that the names on the signposts drop bits the closer you get to the place but that's surely apocryphal.

Not sure as anyone's mentioned any Cornish place names yet! Down here, we have some great ones for emphasis in a word, quite different from what I'd consider "normal" in some cases. For example, Redruth is pronounced red-ruth, as opposed to red-ruth. I'm not a local here (I'm from West Yorkshire!) but I'm married to one, so get told the correct way to pronounce these things. I don't know as there are hard-and-fast rules about which syllables one emphasises, maybe it just varies as with place names in the rest of the UK?

Of course down here, we too have places which are pronounced nothing like they are spelt. Obvious classics include Fowey (pronounced "foy") and Praa (prounounced "pray")...

Wouldn't native British speakers speak Welsh or Cornish? I remember meeting a chap in Dublin who said that there are villages along the Welsh border in England where Welsh is spoken. He called them the last outposts of the British language in England! I find it a bit hard to believe myself, but then there is an area called Maes-Coed in Herefordshire.

Joseph

Apparently Welsh and Basque are the two oldest European languages.

Let's meet up in Thurstaston, Childwall or Gateacre to chat about it!

Trevor

Speaking of Cornwall, anyone from down there and any Welsh (or even Cornish) speakers will know what's wrong with pronouncing Manewas "Mayne-woz", as I heard it once in Newquay ...

And then there's Mousehole, which the locals pronounce "Muzzle," and the "experts" say should be "Mowzle."

Edgar

And then there's Mousehole, which the locals pronounce "Muzzle," and the "experts" say should be "Mowzle."

Edgar

And St Austell is, reputedly, Snozzle. Though I've never really heard anyone say that. Strangely, Foxhole is just Fox-hole.

The great interwar aircraft test center Martlesham Heath--how is that name pronounced?

Is it Martles Ham?

Or Martle Sham?

Or some other variation I can't even imagine?

Thanks for any help!

Karl

Get yourself a copy of Swann and Flanders' "Slow Train" and you'll have a cornucopia of English town names. I remember seeing them at the Prince Edward Theatre in Sydney (long since lost to the developers, sadly) when they were here in 1964. They did "Slow Train" and the woman behind me collapsed in tears - she was English, and said through her sobs that it made her so homesick!

And then there's Mousehole in Cornwall, which the locals call "Mowsel"!!

I wonder what the locals thought of a Kiwi trying to pronounce Cornish place names during my visit down there in 2008! :fool:

I did have several advantages in that my Mothers side of the family had emigrated to New Zealand from Cornwall (Porthallow) in the early 1840's, and I'd also done some homework regarding local pronunciation before I went.

I seem to have managed all right though! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Pete M.