Attention Native Brit Speakers!

Amo Aero

Ben peculier?

it is

Ben beck you laaa

and if you get a chance to visit....................................... Dont.

My Nationality is British (NOT Brit, for god's sake,) but my "Country of Origin" is England; I had a tremendous row, about that, with a bitch in a local Post Office (good thing she was behind armoured glass.)

Edgar

Gawd, you brits are all the same :P

My Nationality is British (NOT Brit, for god's sake,) but my "Country of Origin" is England; I had a tremendous row, about that, with a bitch in a local Post Office (good thing she was behind armoured glass.)

Edgar

Absolutely. Scots and Welsh are adamant about being called the same, as it's their nationality, and English is the same for those born in England.

Stuff that up your directives Brussels.

Edited by dylan the rabbit

Having been raised in East Anglia there are a few others that we can play with and that generally defeat even Brits, let alone the Murkins!

Haverhill

to name a few - try your hands at that lot (locals need not apply at least until we've had a couple of goes from the outsiders! ;) )

cheers

Rick

Locals say "Averhill" while foreigners like me say Haver Hill! Courtesy of my wife living there and educating me (slapping really) when i get it wrong!

im english, i HATE WITH ALL MY BREATH being called british...i was born in a country called England not a country called Britain....

Actually, I was thinking in terms of "British English" as opposed to "American English". You know, the old saying about America and England (oops--UK!) being two countries separated by a common language.

Another gentleman objected to the use of the word "native". I don't know how your British English (err, UK English? English English?) dictionaries define the term, but our Mercan dictionaries define the word as:

native: noun: a person born in a specified place or associated with a place by birth...

Given that definition, all you guys born in the UK are natives--you don't have to be Welsh or Celtic to qualify. :-)

Anyway, thanks to all who responded--it has been most enlightening.

Karl

im english, i HATE WITH ALL MY BREATH being called british...i was born in a country called England not a country called Britain....

you was born in England as part of the United Kingdom a.k.a. Big Britain (big because it's not great ;):D:P ) like I was born in the DDR as part of Deutschland - formerly know as Großdeutsches Reich ;)

The whole world is calling my country "Germany" ... but there are no Germans in Deutschland ... we are Deutsche. And my country is Deutschland. There are no Germanen in Deutschland anymore. Actually, there are not even so many Deutsche in Deutschland but a lot of aliens ... Turkish, Polands, Russian, Vietnamese and so on.

native: noun: a person born in a specified place or associated with a place by birth...

Correct definition = football supporters, in loincloths, aka nappies (diapers, to you lot - why do you have to use such convoluted words?)

Was it a local office, for local people? You didn't touch the precious things did you?

I was local, then, and she was responsible for a huge upsurge, in custom, for a P.O. in a village 5 miles away. The whole town experienced a massive feeling of satisfaction, when the new shop owner decided that he didn't fancy a P.O., at the back of the shop, so it closed, and she joined the ranks of the unemployed.

Edgar

My 'nationality' is fluid depending on cirumstances. Genetically I am mostly

Welsh with a dash of Scottish. However I was born and brought up in England - Liverpool specifically, being one of those regions with a strong identity. Am I English, British, Scottish, Welsh or Scouse? I must admit feeling slightly odd when presented with a T shirt with a cross of St. George on it.

I am a product of the British Isles and can therefore swap allegiences as I wish.

My default setting though is Scouse - I get very protective about Liverpool.

Confused

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

2 places near to my home town of Chesterfield have local pronunciations that fool everybody.

Bolsover is called Bowser

Ashover is called Asher

Many more strange names here in Derbyshire, possibly to do with the strange people up here. :mental:

Chris

Onderwyser - On-der-vase<American pronunciation>-er

This is Dutch. Actually it's "Onderwijzer", but the 'y' and 'ij' are somewhat interchangeable, and I'll forgive you the 's' instead of 'z'. This is a teacher by the way and is a very simple word... in Dutch :D

Afrikaans is full of word derived from Dutch.

Well said! I'm Scottish, I hate being called British, I hate writing my nationality as British or UK.

Wave your St George's flag with pride.

Andy