Attention Native Brit Speakers!

Amo Aero

Actually recent genetic studies show that the bulk of the English genetic base is Celtic too.

There is also the argument that the celts were a culture and not a "race". Celtic culture moved into the British Isles as a result of contact between the people already living in the British Isles and continental Europe. So Boudicca and Vercingetorix may have spoken simlar languages and worn similarly decorated jewellery, but they may not have been related genetically.

This is probably correct, we still share the same gene pool though ergo, we are all Britons and I am your king! (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Martin

This is probably correct, we still share the same gene pool though ergo, we are all Britons and I am your king! (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Martin

I didn't vote for you............

Trevor

PS: When will you Yanks stop calling this country England? England is only one part of a country called "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" aka the UK. I mean, its a bit like calling the USA Texas. :hobbyhorse::tease:

So when I fly into Heathrow and go into downtown London, I'm not in England? If I've been there, but never visited Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, or Wales, I've only been to the UK, not to England? Really? All four times? When I travel here, I say I'm going to Texas or Nevada or Ohio or California. When I traveled to the UK, I said I was going to England. And, if it's not England, do you speak UKish?

Trust me guys, I'm kidding. I'm Scots/Irish/English/Cherokee myself.

Steve

Makes me chuckle when Murkuns pronounce Salisbury as Sal's-burry, it's pronounced Salsbry, likewise Bournemouth and Portsmouth aren't pronounced Bourne-Mouth or Ports-Mouth its Bornmuth or Portsmuth.

And surely Scone isn't pronounced as Skon or Scoun, it must be Scone as in stone? :innocent:

Wez - ducking for cover

Having been raised in East Anglia there are a few others that we can play with and that generally defeat even Brits, let alone the Murkins!

Wymondham

Swaffham

Marham

Haverhill

to name a few - try your hands at that lot (locals need not apply at least until we've had a couple of goes from the outsiders! ;) )

cheers

Rick

I'm about as outside as you can get - located out here in the desert Southwest of the USofA.

I'll take a shot...

Wymondham - Wi'-mun-dum or is it Win'dum?

Swaffham - Swaaf-hum (as in Baa-baa)

Marham - Mar-hum

Haverhill - Havrill

Tell me how I did.

(and I know Leichester is pronounced Lester)

Steve

Pronounce English place names however you like, because it will annoy the small minded "little englanders' who live there.

Theres scant evidence to suggest that current place name pronunciation is anything other than that ( though by current I mean within the last 100-200 years or so)

" 'Mercan" english contains a lot of words we stopped using - think of Broil rather than Roast for instance. English as a language survives because it changes and is flexible to change - so if "wuster" becomes Woore-cester" again - just enjoy it, and the sauce too.

Jonners

Help a native of the Colonies - what is the proper pronunciation of Benbecula?

Ben- beck- you - la, and tarry when you say it too - short and sharpish.

Anything else is about an MD from Michigan who saves lives on his way home. Ben Becula MD. He drives. He saves Lives.

Jonners

So everyone is Welsh - dda iawn!

MH

Naaa............ I like my lamb spread out on a plate with some mint sauce and yorkie puds, at no time have I fancied it spread eagled........... :P

Whalley-Whoa-Betide, where's that then, any where near Wally-under-Threat? :unsure:

Or is it betide the Teeside, betide the Tee? :P

As I said :chair:

Graham :rolleyes:

Edited by GrahamS

Isn't he the guy who played the captain of the first Star Trek USS Enterprise?

Graham

Actually recent genetic studies show that the bulk of the English genetic base is Celtic too. By and large invaders tended to occupy the ruling strata of society and imposed there own culture but the population base remained largely unchanged over the centuries. The effect of this is more noticable in England as, from a military standpoint, the geography of most of that part of the country was much less defensible with the methods of warfare available at the time than was the case in either Scotland or Wales.

Martin von Amateur Dark Age Student and Rather Sad Tosser :coat:

PS: When will you Yanks stop calling this country England? England is only one part of a country called "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" aka the UK. I mean, its a bit like calling the USA Texas. :hobbyhorse::tease:

im english, i HATE WITH ALL MY BREATH being called british...i was born in a country called England not a country called Britain....

Pants=shorts=underpants=grundys=grits=cack hammocks

shorts=undies=short trousers

Try that for pronunciation. You can google the lyrics to when the boat comes in!

Or shreddies in Military parlance

Ben beck you laaa

God forsaken hole, only one up from RAF Macrananish, where you would go into town from base when the fishing fleet sailed for a bit of Fishermans old wives tail......... sorry tales :P and they were not old either ;)

Edited by TonyT

Geelong - je' long, not jee-long (virtually every visitor gets it wrong)

Wooloomooloo - all those oo's are quiter short - think ull - apart from last one - wuh'luh'muh'loo

Narrandera - the e is just about silent - nah'ran'dra

Vermont - even the locals can't agree - more ver'mont than ver-mont'

Apart from the last - all said quickly and nasally, no lagging in 'Strine

Native British speak either Welsh or Gaelic...............

a good friend of mine is Scottish ... such a guy like Groundskeeper Willy of the Simpsons ... don't let him read that :D;)

im english, i HATE WITH ALL MY BREATH being called british...i was born in a country called England not a country called Britain....

My Nationality is British (NOT Brit, for god's sake,) but my "Country of Origin" is England; I had a tremendous row, about that, with a bitch in a local Post Office (good thing she was behind armoured glass.)

Edgar

Edited by Edgar