Attention Native Brit Speakers!

Amo Aero

The great interwar aircraft test center Martlesham Heath--how is that name pronounced?

Is it Martles Ham?

Or Martle Sham?

Or some other variation I can't even imagine?

Thanks for any help!

Karl

the suffix "-ham" = homestead afaik

Martlesham

'Homestead/village by marten clearing' or '*Mertel's/*Maerel's clearing'.

I would have said Martles- ham

but the problem is local pronunciation.

One of the stops on my train home from Sheffield is Dodworth. The locals say Dod uth

I would have said.....martel shum

But as mentioned.........it will be a local thing

My dad always pronounced it that way, but "Martleshum" without any gap, and he was Suffolk born-and-bred.

Edgar

i love when Americans pronounce

leicestershire as Lie - cester -shire

makes me chuckle especially as they laugh at me trying to pronounce Native American reservations with my broad Yorkshire accent and me trying to explain that a corsey (pavement if your posh) is what they call a sidewalk

oh and heres the time old classic depending which part of our country you are in these all mean the same thing

Breadcake

Teacake (my opinion has currents in it but i know people that will argue this to the death)

Bap

Bun

Roll

Russ

Edited by RussTnailZ

Ruddy foreigners the lot of you ............ and you can`t have a native British speaker.....the language is ENGLISH.

:angrysoapbox.sml:

Native British speak either Welsh or Gaelic...............

:tease:

MH

Ruddy foreigners the lot of you ............ and you can`t have a native British speaker.....the language is ENGLISH.

Trouble there is that Americans speak English, but Brits would know the correct pronunciation of the place name in question. :tease:

FROM ESSEX

So is it 'andbag, or Handbag you all dance around :P

Edited by TonyT

Having been raised in East Anglia there are a few others that we can play with and that generally defeat even Brits, let alone the Murkins!

Wymondham

Swaffham

Marham

Haverhill

to name a few - try your hands at that lot (locals need not apply at least until we've had a couple of goes from the outsiders! ;) )

cheers

Rick

I'm not from Northampton but there is a town here called Towcester apparently pronounced Toaster............. :shrug:

I am however from "oop norf" and if anybody misprounounces Whalley whoa betide........ :fight:

Graham

Having been raised in East Anglia there are a few others that we can play with and that generally defeat even Brits, let alone the Murkins!

Wymondham

Swaffham

Marham

Haverhill

Costessey

Setchey

Hunstanton

Happisburgh

Potter Heigham

:D

Ruddy foreigners the lot of you ............ and you can`t have a native British speaker.....the language is ENGLISH. standpoint

Native British speak either Welsh or Gaelic...............

MH

Actually recent genetic studies show that the bulk of the English genetic base is Celtic too. By and large invaders tended to occupy the ruling strata of society and imposed there own culture but the population base remained largely unchanged over the centuries. The effect of this is more noticable in England as, from a military standpoint, the geography of most of that part of the country was much less defensible with the methods of warfare available at the time than was the case in either Scotland or Wales.

Martin von Amateur Dark Age Student and Rather Sad Tosser :coat:

PS: When will you Yanks stop calling this country England? England is only one part of a country called "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" aka the UK. I mean, its a bit like calling the USA Texas. :hobbyhorse::tease:

Edited by martin hale

"Martleshum" without any gap, and he was Suffolk born-and-bred.

Edgar

Quite right too. just up the road, or should that be 'ruud' from me!

Note: its pronounced Mart el shum not Mart le shum. No gaps.

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

Actually recent genetic studies show that the bulk of the English genetic base is Celtic too. By and large invaders tended to occupy the ruling strata of society and imposed there own culture but the population base remained largely unchanged over the centuries. The effect of this is more noticable in England as, from a military standpoint, the geography of most of that part of the country was much less defensible with the methods of warfare available at the time than was the case in either Scotland or Wales.

So everyone is Welsh - dda iawn!

MH

Don't get me started! I live in South Africa, and you should hear the way people mangle some of the African and Afrikaans names.

Try these on for size! African names -

Tokyo Sexwale - Tokyo Se-kwa-leh - the kwa part is made up of a clicking sound with the toungue like <tsk> but with the side of the toungue not the middle, immediately followed by -wa. My daughter thought it was sex-whale a few years ago, much to the absolute amusement of the family!

Ndabaningi Sithole - Nn-da-ba-ning-gi Sit-hole-leh

Ndaba Qinisile - Nn-da-ba <click of the toungue from the roof of the mouth>-in-is-see-leh

Afrikaans words -

Kragdadige - Kra-<gutteral German-type G>-daa-deh-<gutteral German-type G>-eh

Onderwyser - On-der-vase<American pronunciation>-er

I could go on all night ... :)

Wayne

Edited by Wayne