Hobbycraft 1/32 Sea Fury Preview

Paul Bradley

Being a U.S. based Sea Fury fan, I have compared the test shots to photos and found the following:

1. The prop has one too many blades and turns the wrong way

2. The canopy isn't long enough

3. The wheels are all wrong.

4. The cockpit doesn't have the second seat.

I know many FAA fans will disagree with my assessment, but I've got photos to back it up. :)

Jim

P.S.: Honestly, I'm disappointed. I remember the assembled test shots looking better. This clearly is a an upscaled version of their 1/48 kit and it doesn't cut it. Unless the price is really really cheap, I'll be passing...and I was looking forward to the kit.

Its a catch 22 isn't it? On the one hand we want companies to take risks with unique subjects and scales, but then when they do, it seems the support dissipates over what can sometimes be a few minor things.

Personally, it looks ok to me, it may be a little simplified for the scale but its a 1/32 Sea Fury which no one else has bothered to do.

I can't see the photos of the sprues too clearly but it looks as though there are a number of external 'lumps & bumps' missing from the fuselage and wings - as there are on the 1/48 scale kit.

In fact it just looks as though it has been scaled up from the 1/48 kit and contains all of its shortcomings.

IMG.jpg

hc_1716_parts1.jpg

The drawing is from Peter Cooke's article, in Scale Models, October 1983. The main criticism, that I've seen, concerns the slope, in front of the canopy. I don't have the expertise to overlay the two, so I'll have to leave that to others, more expert than me. A replacement canopy is, I believe, available from MDC; I believe that the Typhoon/Tempest/Sea Fury were, if not identical, close enough in 1/32nd.

As for Jim's complaint, we've found, over here, that our pilots are clever enough not to need someone looking over their shoulder, all the time, and, due to practice, on carriers, can stop in time, without recourse to F-104 brakes. :tease:

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

The drawing is from Peter Cooke's article, in Scale Models, October 1983. The main criticism, that I've seen, concerns the slope, in front of the canopy. I don't have the expertise to overlay the two, so I'll have to leave that to others, more expert than me.

It does look a little steep, doesn't it? I wonder whether that's an optical illusion caused by the lack of the front of the engine cowling? You'd be surprised what a difference somehting like that can make.

The Sea Fury a 1-seater by default, so Jim's comment must be based on either a restored one that's had an extra seat added, or a trainer.

Did I read somewhere that some rebuilt Sea Furies used Skyraider gear legs? If that's right, I wonder which is correct? The kit, or the rebuilt example that Jim's seen?

Sea Furies have 5 bladed props... so does the kit... as to the direction of rotation, can't comment.

Jim - d'ya reckon you could post up some pics of the airframe you've based your opinions on, so we can see what you mean? Thanks.

Sea Furies have 5 bladed props... so does the kit... as to the direction of rotation, can't comment.

Jim - d'ya reckon you could post up some pics of the airframe you've based your opinions on, so we can see what you mean? Thanks.

I think Jim was yanking our chain over those Reno monstrosities that pass as Sea Furies.

I think Jim was yanking our chain over those Reno monstrosities that pass as Sea Furies.

Jonathan is right. Actually not so much the Reno mods, but just your generic U.S. "Sorta Fury." It is pretty common over here to swap out the Bristol for a R-3350 with a Skyraider prop, and add a second seat which then entails a longer canopy. It is also real common to fit different wheels and brakes in the U.S. mod birds...though they usually maintain the same gear legs. If you guys want photos I'll post some over the weekend. I've always wanted to write a review of a Sea Fury kit using photos of a U.S. restored bird and then pan the kit because it didn't match the photos. I never did because I was worried someone would think I was serious... :)

Jim

Edited by airjiml2

Its a catch 22 isn't it? On the one hand we want companies to take risks with unique subjects and scales, but then when they do, it seems the support dissipates over what can sometimes be a few minor things.

Personally, it looks ok to me, it may be a little simplified for the scale but its a 1/32 Sea Fury which no one else has bothered to do.

Jonathan,

It is true there is no mainstreem 1/32 Sea Fury, but HC is up against the wall because of the beautiful Fisher bird. While it really is apples and oranges...HC need to consider what they want to accomplish with these kits. I think the price is key here. If they try to keep the retail in line with the Mustang I at under $40, I'll buy a few even with the problems and IMO Hobbycraft will sell tons. If it starts creeping to the $60 or $70 range I don't think they will do so well. I've got no problem with then catering to the average modeler, but if they are planning to do so they need to keep their prices lower. The Panther was an example. A nice kit at $20, a rather poorer deal at $40. Sadly HC retailed them at $40. It almost appears they didn't understand their market there. I hope the Sea Fury doesn't share the same fate. Back when HC was working with Idea they kept their kits very afforable. As they have moved to China the prices have started to creep up that I fear they can no longer attract the average modeler.

That being said....I wish they had just worked with Trumpter and upgraded the 1/72 kit rather then their less shapeworthy 1/48 kit. But I'm sure I'm not really HC's target market...

Jim

Jonathan is right. Actually not so much the Reno mods, but just your generic U.S. "Sorta Fury." It is pretty common over here to swap out the Bristol for a R-3350 with a Skyraider prop, and add a second seat which then entails a longer canopy. It is also real common to fit different wheels and brakes in the U.S. mod birds...though they usually maintain the same gear legs. If you guys want photos I'll post some over the weekend. I've always wanted to write a review of a Sea Fury kit using photos of a U.S. restored bird and then pan the kit because it didn't match the photos. I never did because I was worried someone would think I was serious... :)

Jim

:doh: See? There was me taking you seriously, although I did wonder a bit :unsure: My excuse is I've never seen the Reno racers, so can claim ignorance as my defence :dunce:

Jim

Hey Jim, you should do one for the April edition of the Journal - Chris would think it a hoot!

It's a sad irony that, at least, one "Sea Fury," which had the ersatz wheels/brakes fitted, flipped over (possibly due to brake "snatch,") killing the pilot, almost certainly because he'd done away with the headrest support, as well.

One of the LSP members has managed to overlay the kit part onto the drawings, and they match, but there's an anomaly on the fairing aft, and below, the exhausts.

Edgar

Oy, what's all this "obsessed," under my avatar? I'd prefer "dedicated."

Edited by Edgar

It's a sad irony that, at least, one "Sea Fury," which had the ersatz wheels/brakes fitted, flipped over (possibly due to brake "snatch,") killing the pilot, almost certainly because he'd done away with the headrest support, as well.

One of the LSP members has managed to overlay the kit part onto the drawings, and they match, but there's an anomaly on the fairing aft, and below, the exhausts.

Edgar

Oy, what's all this "obsessed," under my avatar? I'd prefer "dedicated."

Yes, I thought they matched quite well apart from the lower section of the exhaust. i think that could easily be fixed.

As long as the price is reasonable, I still want one!

obesessed????????

Yes, I thought they matched quite well apart from the lower section of the exhaust. i think that could easily be fixed.

As long as the price is reasonable, I still want one!

obesessed????????

Right now there is a build review of the HC P-51 Mustang 1A on Cybermodeler and in it the builder mentions that HC is trying to keep prices down to around $40 for the kits, perhaps the Sea Fury is falling in the same area. That'd allow the builder to guild the lily with aftermarket to whatever level he wants. If you are just wanting a SeaFury for $40 with a basic 'looks like one' build you are covered and if you are a resin cockpit or u/c bay guy you still have the option without going for the whole Fisher level of kit build.

Funny how over on Largescale planes this morning there is a photoshoped pic of the fuselage lain over the drawings and it looks real close to matching, even the cowl which is where I thought looked off yesterday. But then again we all know how much to trust drawings anymore.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...=17052&st=0

Look down to post #15 on page 1

Matt

And already the circle of life continues regarding the use of photos and drawings at the end of the LSP thread....

Edited by Matt Roberts

Right now there is a build review of the HC P-51 Mustang 1A on Cybermodeler and in it the builder mentions that HC is trying to keep prices down to around $40 for the kits, perhaps the Sea Fury is falling in the same area.

And more power to Hobbycraft for trying to do that. R&D costs and either you keep the RRP down and hope you recoup your costs over a longer period, charge more (and have people complain) to recoup over a shorter period or you keep R&D costs within a budget.

From what everyone has said and posted l find that it is no better or no worst then most kits out there. For me its doable and will buy one to build. What ever mistakes there are seems to me easily fixable if you are so inclined

If they keep that price it will be great. That way for $40 (or 20 lbs - sorry American keyboard no pound sterling thingy!) you get a good basic kit and if someone in resin land is smart they do the resin upgrades ala carte. A cockpit, a wheel well, prop, etc. That way one can customize the build to whatever level of detail he wants at whatever cost he wants. If you are still wanting a full on uber detail Sea Fury the Fisher one will still be found but at 5x the base cost.

Competition is great for the hobby, a good looking kit for those who just say it looks like a Sea Fury and another for the penlight brigade and with all levels in between.

Matt