OzH's 1/48 Buccaneer S.1

OzH

Here’s my entry to this GB, I’ll be building the good ol’ Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer, backdating to S.1 with the help of Heritage Aviations S.1 intakes, Pavla cockpit, Eduard external etch and Model Alliance Decals.

BuccaneerS1002.jpg

BuccaneerS1001.jpg

BuccaneerS1004.jpg

BuccaneerS1007.jpg

I have had the Aviation workshop book and the accompanying decal sheet for a while now and have managed to build a couple off the sheet, so this is an excuse to use some more.

BuccaneerS1004a.jpg

I will be building XN928/119 in its all white anti-flash scheme while serving with 809 Squadron on Ark Royal. I believe the nose section of this aircraft still exists, not sure were though.

Ooooooh! A Bucc S1! A real fave of mine! I shall watch this with interest as I have the Maintrack S1 conversion set in the stash (I am waiting until my skills have developed to a point where I might be able to do it justice - which could be a very long wait).

A bit of an update

The cockpit has been painted ready for installation, easy really, dark wash over Halfords primer, dry brush, then details picked out, not that accurate, but good enough for me!

BuccaneerS1020.jpg

BuccaneerS1029.jpg

BuccaneerS1030.jpg

Started cutting the S.2 intakes off ready for the S.1’s, more work than I initially thought, especially around the leading edge of the intakes, the S.2 had a whole load more lumps and bumps…

BuccaneerS1014-1.jpg

BuccaneerS1016-1.jpg

BuccaneerS1023-1.jpg

In the process, managed to break the front of the upper fuselage!

BuccaneerS1015-1.jpg

Also added some extra plastic to the inside of the pen nibs…

BuccaneerS1032.jpg

Coming along nicely Ozzy! Is the extra plastic behind the exhaust nibs for support? Will you be modifying this area to S.1 standard or going with it as is - it would seem like a good bit of work to add little in the 'wow' department. Shame about the break, but you seem to be taking it in stride. - Jack

Thanks for the comments. I’m not to worried about the break, I have cut some plastic inserts to go inside of the new intakes before adding some filler, not having the front bit on will help getting them in place correctly. All good fun!

Oh and the added plastic is to strengthen the area before reducing the length of the pen nib jet exhaust.

All good fun!

Ah, now that's a good modeler - press on my friend.

Interested in seeing how you handle the nib mods; not sure I would be up for it, but then again, I don't have an S.1 on the shelf! Standing by to take notes - Jack

Looking forward to this one Oz......one thing that you may want (or not as the case may be) to check is the seats used on the S1. Pavla provides the MB Mk 6, but I'm sure I read somewhere that early Buccaneer's has the MB Mk 7 - basically the same as used in Phantom's. I'm not sure if "early" means S1......

• 10 months later...