(project stopped) Luftwaffe Truppen Transporter Boeing 707

Micha

Luftwaffe Troup Transporter Boeing 707

I'll come in with a new build of an old airliner: A Boeing 707 as Luftwaffe version of 1997 when I flew to North Norway as a german soldier.

This will be the 2nd Luftwaffe airliner that I flew with.

I need to change the engines. But I'm not sure if I need more to change and hope for tips of the pro's ;) Thanks in advance to you, guys :thumbsup2:

Here's the kit:

normal_karton~1.jpg

normal_karton_offen~1.jpg

And this is what it got to look like when it's finished:

(source: www.airliners.net)

1161204.jpg

1406805.jpg

Edited by Micha

Hi Mica

As well as the engines, you'll need to lose the ventral fin and also check the nose-wheel doors

If the kit is correct (I've never seen a Minicraft 707) there will be a single back stay cover behind the nose wheel. It needs to be the later arrangement with a half door each side of the leg.

In both cases the main nose door shut after extension so this is just the rear part.

I don't understand you :(

It's not your knowledge ... I'm pretty sure, you know what you're talking about ... it's my English ... unfortunately it's not good enough to understand this:

"there will be a single back stay cover behind the nose wheel. It needs to be the later arrangement with a half door each side of the leg."

single back stay cover? I'm able to translate every single word ... but all the four words right behind each other make no sense to me :(

What single cover do you mean that is staying back?

And what half door of the leg?

Sorry :(

That's way to much for me ... not to build ... just to understand it first :shrug:

But I looked at the plane's body and found a door above the front wheel. What does that door doing there? Even the included Lufthansa decal version doesn't have a door at this position :hypnotised:

Do you mean that door right behind the cockpit? Well ... I'd cover it with a bit putty, I'd say.

Just have a good look at the nose doors on the model, and pics of the aircraft!

ahhh ... the Landeklappen (german) of the front wheel.

OK. I'll give my best ... I hope at least ;)

Sorry Micha

I don't know the model, but if it correctly shows an early 707 including most of the 420 series then the nose wheel door will look like this

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas-(Qan...138B/1573038/L/

For the later versions it should be like this

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Koda-Air-Ca...373C/1768847/L/

Also the ventral fin, if on the model would need to be removed.....that is seen here under the tail

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas-(Joh...138B/1229285/L/

Garry

ah, thanks Garry!

Well ... the Luftwaffe Transporter is an old one. The Luftwaffe has got it from the Lufthansa in 1968 and never changed.

These jets were "Boeing B707-307C". here's a closer look to one of them.

Meanwhile there's no B707 flying for the Bundeswehr. They replaced them by newer Lufthansa A310-304 (like the MedEvac etc.)

Edited by Micha

The pics at the start of the thread show the later doors.....from about 1960 ish

Only the earliest 707's have the rear stay type but there were a lot built.

Just something to check on the model as that is something often missed :)

They made a similar change on the BAC One-Eleven but that was clearer in that the Srs.200 all had a back stay door and all the other marks had side doors.

With the 707 both 320's and 420's were affected and the Boeing 720's too.

I think all the 120's had the earlier type

Thing is just to find a pic of your subject that shows this clearly.

ATB

Garry

unfortunetely, I don't know the airplane's sign.

I only know that it's been a Boeing 707 on the flight to Norway and an Airbus A310 on the back flight.

For the A310 it was easy: First, the Pilot told me that this plane was one of those three Interflug Airbuses because I asked him. And the first both were the german Air Force One (Chancellor's machine) and a VIP transporter of the foreign minister. So it could only be the third Airbus.

But I'm not sure what type of a Boeing we flew.

What I also know is, that the Luftwaffe still got three Boeing 707-303C by the Lufthansa at this time. The Luftwaffe has got them in 1968 as "used aircrafts". That means, the Lufthansa also used them for a while.

I only can speculate about the plane's sign ... so I'd take the 10-02 or 10-03 in the 1997 scheme. The only problem that I have is the different engines because they were changed earlier. I'm not sure how to change them :(

Here's a list of the Luftwaffe's B707-3xx

Edited by Micha

Hi Micha

My comment about checking pics was a general 707 comment....All the Lufthansa 330's had the later doors and no ventral fin

The Luftwaffe didn't have any of the earlier type.

The easiest thing would be to get a Minicraft 707-320 model and use the 420 for an airline that operated them.

BOAC, BEA Airtours, British Airways, British Airtours, Lufthansa, El Al, Varig, Air India. Some ended up in Africa but the mark was very limited in sales.

I think there are only two 420's in existance.

Ex British Airtours -436 derelict in Uganda and the Luftahansa training -430.

The one preserved at Cosford in the UK was scrapped a little while ago. :angry:

A rare best

ok. I guess, you're right :(

That's too bad :(

well ... then I have to stop this project for a while. I need my rare money for a handfull other sets (including an A310 what richellis will looking for me).

And on Monday ... um ... tomorrow :analintruder: I'll get a third Concorde.

I don't worry about ... and I also got a few other planes to build ;) ... I also got two Tupolevs :D

Thanks for your help, Garry! It's always good to know someone with a huge knowledge! :thumbsup2:

The minicraft kit has the correct nose doors for the Luftwaffe picture, both 320 & 420 kits, so you will be fine.

that's what I thought. But there's still the problem of the different engines.

They look pretty good. But there's no price. Will send them an email soon.

Thanks.

As Garry suggested, it'll probably be cheaper to get a 320 kit than buy the AA engines - you'll also end up with a spare kit then!

One problem with all the Minicraft 707's is the nose is an awful shape, not much like the real thing! There are solid resin replacement noses available (eg from Two Mikes), but you'd have to use decal flightdeck windows then. As I hate decal flightdeck windows I'm hoping someone will do a clear resin replacement! (I've been working on one myself for about 3 years, but still haven't finished it!!)

Keef

the nose is ok ... the engines are wrong ... actually, they are not wrong for that type of Convair engines ... I'd like to build a LUFTWAFFE Boeing and those got different engines.

well ... I'm no pro ;)

in my case it would be ok if the engines look like the real ones ;):D

And all my friends around me wouldn't ask for the different nose ;)

• 1 month later...

oh thank God I did not build this Boeing as Luftwaffe! What a f***in' kit! From now on I'll keep my fingers away from MiniCrap ... oops ... sorry ... MiniCRAFT ^^

you better don't look on it from above! It looks like a banana!

It's not only the different size of both fuselage parts! It's also the same wrong length of the decals! Both parts have different lengths (that should be ok in case of the different long fuselage parts!) but both decals are too short! One is shorter than the other! I had a lot of paint work to do!

what a bloody mess! Get away with that CHINA-made crap!

Minicraft lost a customer now.

normal_DSC04116.JPG

Edited by Micha