Canberra What If...FINISHED

Deanflyer

Thanks you two...

More progress...and a top tip. When doing close in fine line work to do the feathered demarkations on camouflage patterns, remember to put the lid on your airbrush's paint cup! Otherwise, all the jiggling around will send a cascade of green paint all over your freshly painted right wing, for example!

Here it is after a repaint, Freehanded camo with Tamiya RAF Green post shaded with a slightly darker mix involving Tamiya Dark Green:

merlin22.jpg

merlin21.jpg

merlin23.jpg

I think I'll let that dry for a while before I mask up for the hard demarkation line for the underside grey. I was toying with the idea of High Speed Silver undersides, but I'm really not sure the surface is good enough for it with all that puttying and sanding.

Keep watching,

Dean

Looks very nice Dean! I wonder how many double takes that will produce when you put it on display! Even when I'm following the thread I have to look twice to see it's not a Canberra!! Great stuff!!

More progress...and a top tip. When doing close in fine line work to do the feathered demarkations on camouflage patterns, remember to put the lid on your airbrush's paint cup! Otherwise, all the jiggling around will send a cascade of green paint all over your freshly painted right wing, for example!

Dean

Perhaps we should have a poll as to how many of us have done that too...... :whistle:

Keef

Thanks folks, and Mish, I haven't changed the scheme - it's just that the first set of pics hadn't got the green on yet! A quick wing repaint was all it took to get it back on track. If it comes out ok in the end, I'll certainly be hawking it around the shows.

Anyway, I seem to be cracking on with this at the moment, I've done the masking and sprayed the light aircraft grey undersides, and given the whole thing a couple of coats of Klear...

Shiny, shiny:

merlin26.jpg

merlin25.jpg

merlin24.jpg

merlin27.jpg

I've also scratchbuilt an entry hatch which will hang from the now redundant front wheel well, although that's not painted yet. I reckon I might get some decals on this tonight!

Keep watching,

Dean

Not yet, Mish...getting there. I got the decals on it last night, and all it needs now is the weathering, final assembly and matt coat. It'll have to wait for a few days though, as I'm working away again for a while. In the meantime, here's a couple of shots of the airframe pretty much all together. Not sure about the yellow spinners...what do you lot think?

merlin28.jpg

merlin29.jpg

Keep watching,

Dean

Right, I'm calling it quits on this one. I've finished the painting and weathering, washed the panel lines, scratchbuilt an entry hatch from plastic card, scratchbuilt a folding boarding ladder from plastic rod, flattened the mainwheels by passing them over a gas flame and pressing them onto glass (and you only get one chance at that, let me tell you!) and made a wingtip pitot out of wire.

All in all, I'm quite pleased at how it all came out. I decided to leave the spinners yellow, as I couldn't make up my mind about an alternative, and once they were weathered a bit they didn't look too out of place. I didn't go mad on the weathering overall, as this was a post war plane and wouldn't have had a hard combat life like the wartime stuff.

Another Group Build entry enters the gallery...

Thanks for watching,

Dean

merlinfinished12.jpg

merlinfinished5.jpg

merlinfinished1.jpg

merlinfinished2.jpg

merlinfinished3.jpg

merlinfinished4.jpg

merlinfinished6.jpg

merlinfinished8.jpg

merlinfinished10.jpg

merlinfinished9.jpg

merlinfinished7.jpg

merlinfinished14.jpg

merlinfinished11.jpg

merlinfinished13.jpg

That's cool...a lot of boarding latter to climb...!!

Cheers,

ggc

Now that is a stunning bit of wiffery there Mr Flyer, flaweless and totally believable thats what bring yours to the top of the pile!!.

Regards,

JB.