Scale Aircraft Modelling

Nigel Bunker

I think it's time this one went the way of the dodo... speculation, rumour & gossip don't have much of a place in a critique of a magazine.

Nighty night everyone :)

To TheModeller:-

Sorry, the thread was closed before I read your post and could reply to it.

Yes, that's the one (the dreaded editorial)!

And I agree with including Chris Ellis and Ken Jones btw. I always associated Chris Ellis more with armour modelling - perhaps unfairly. Who was the editor of the relatively short-lived "Aircraft Modelworld"? That was one of the few aircraft modelling magazines that always seemed to have a goodly proportion of vintage British civil subjects in it and very attractive covers in its later incarnations which, I think, were sometimes painted by Ian Wyllie of Osprey covers fame.

I remember being very impressed with FSM (Fine Scale Modeler) when it first came out. It really was that. Recent issues seem mighty dumbed down which appears to be the trend, justified on all sorts of grounds but most often on the prevalent BS of "inclusivity". I think, to the contrary, that this dumbing-down trend actually contributes to elitism in modelling because it does not share and improve knowledge on a popular basis. I could get into a rant here so I better stop.

Nick