Robocain - Robocop 2

Thanks mister

I think i got it,

So cut this piece down quite a bit as the screen kept catching on it (so little room in here) attached the sprngs to the front of the U.

DSC09349.JPG

A lot of work in here, lot of trial and error. The screw on the end of the brass bar stops the bar going to far. The little screw up by the screen end just clears the 2 on the bracket (holding the bar in place) when the screen is retracted it passes them then catches the recess in the U shaped piece, pulling it back. Then when the brass bar is all the way back it meets the back of the head where the cut out is and the U shaped bit is pulled back against the head. This is enough to pull the doors shut with a little tension on them.

DSC09350.JPG

Just bellow where the brass rod is there is a hole that I can fit the tube...

DSC09351.JPG

like so, had to trim the U piece even more as it'd catch on the tube. The wire feeds out and attaches to the pivot on the end of the brass rod. As the wire feeds out it pushes the brass rod out, then it extends fully it pushes on the pivot and flips open.

Bottom line is it kinda works, just need to refine a little more then i'll get a video up.

test video of the head

You Sir are a freakishly talented individual.

That mechanism looks spot on, I can't believe you have got that mechanism to work in that confined amount of space .

Amazing fella, amazing.

Seriously, are you doing all the fabrication with just that lathe and that mill?

Incredible!!

Cant believe I never saw this thread until now, Cain is one of my fav robots, and you sir are an incredible talent.

Cant wait to see him finished up!

:mike:

moving onto the other end of the cable, gong to make a sort of worm drive to move the wire up and down

DSC09354.JPG

got me a little motor and a pully from somewhere. Motor turns the big pully which is on the thread/screw. The lump of metal on the right has a thread tapped in it and is stopped from spinning round by the 2 poles, it has no alternative than to move up and down the thread.

DSC09355.JPG

had to do some more work on the colar to get it to meet the head flush, even though it'll be lifted off the collar.

DSC09356.JPG

DSC09357.JPG

in place and nearly working, had to modify again, needed a lot more tension on the rubber band thing. It was a bit loose, lost traction and spun, the pulley on the motor got so hot it melted! so now made a lottle alloy pully you can just see it, good huh? :)

DSC09358.JPG

It's rare to see a model that actually looks better than the real thing, but that's what's unfolding here!

I took the head apart and started to rub down all the rough edges and smooth the surface out, taking out all the machining marks.

DSC09360.JPG

DSC09361.JPG

test fitted to the torso, started to turn the cylinders for The back of the head, im going to fit them as close to the head as I can.

DSC09367.JPG

and drum roll please! I got my screen! This is the OLED (organic LED) from Australia, took me hours to get to grips with the software and finally get a proper image on the screen, now I know it works I can get on with editing a longer sequence and editing the colours down a bit. I know this looks a little odd but its good for a trial run!

DSC09368.JPG

hey cain, whats happening!

DSC09369.JPG

Had to re mount the plate in the collar since re-shaping the collar.

DSC09371.JPG

mounted more securly now with a proper joint so I can adjust the head, also finished and mounted the head hydraulics, considering they attach to the bottom of the head ather than inside the head I think they look good!

DSC09372.JPG

you can just see the front cylinders here, they should be more promanent but with the screen moving in and out here its just not possible so this is as far forward as they can come.

DSC09373.JPG

made another armour plate for the back of the neck

DSC09400.JPG

Onto a job I was putting off, having to cut the grooves in the head for detail, this was done with a hacksaw blade and a razor blade (no really)

DSC09401.JPG

DSC09402.JPG

DSC09403.JPG

looks a bit more real now

DSC09404.JPG

head back together and mounted up

DSC09405.JPG

remaking the screw drive for the head, old plate on the left new in the middle.

DSC09422.JPG

I wanted to mount the unit sideways in the middle of the chest but for this the cable had to do a 90 degree turn out of the screw drive and then another 90 in the head, this was too much the wire would kink. So I have to have it pointing straight up into the head, not a big deal, it'll stop the inside of it looking empty, its tucked away out of view from the front.

DSC09423.JPG

somthing else I missed before, slotting this part of the shoulder back plate.

DSC09426.JPG

smoothed the chest edges off and re primed

DSC09429.JPG

Now stripping the torso apart, the top plate is the old one the shoulders were mounted on, now I know exactly where they need to mount I made the plate at the bottom with the holes in the right place. Also re tapping holes and generally tidying up the insides.

DSC09428.JPG

thank you :)

2nd leg time.

DSC09430.JPG

im briefly documenting this as its pretty much the same as the other one :)

DSC09431.JPG

DSC09433.JPG

DSC09434.JPG

got my micro switches through and fitted them onto the screw drive, so it'll cut the power when it gets to the end of its travel.

DSC09437.JPG

fitted up, made a few little brackets and hangers, one you can see above the motor

DSC09438.JPG

lump of delrin

DSC09440.JPG

thats about 8 hours work, getting my head down here.

• 2 weeks later...