BN Islander - Airfix 1/72

My (much) better half spent three years working as a nurse in the Falklands and flew between the islands in the Falklands Islands Government Air Service (FIGAS) Islanders. I picked up the model at the Salisbury show a couple of months ago and have finished it at last. I know the main faults - white pinstripes a little too wide, fuselage codes too small and my painting skills still limited - but I am generally happy with it. I am in the process of panting some figures and a 1/72 Landrover and they will lbecome a small diorama in the near future. I did make up a set of control levers from stretched sprue and did manage to do a good job of the instrument panel painting, but my camera is not up to decent photos of that.

Here it is then...

20100915-Islander06a.jpg

20100915-Islander01a.jpg

20100915-Islander04a.jpg

20100915-Islander07a.jpg

20100915-Islander03a.jpg

20100915-Islander09.jpg

Dave

• Like 35

Hi Dave

Im glad you told me about the codes and the pinstripe, cos I never would have got that (LOL)

Lovely build, I like the way you have turned the nose wheel a little off centre, I do that on most of my builds.

Get on and do the FIGAS Beaver Floatplane to keep it company.

Richard McC

dont see much wrong there....

I like it:):):)

this is a notorious kit to avoid tail sitting tho - what did you use for nose weight and where did it go?

this is a notorious kit to avoid tail sitting tho - what did you use for nose weight and where did it go?

Hi kev1n, the instructions suggest 4g in the nose and 2g in the front of each of the engine nacelles. The nose in front of the instrument panel and the front of the engine nacelles of this one are stuffed with small lead shot held with PVA glue. There isn't any room for a single extra shot in any of these three locations. Even so if you tip it back onto its tail it will stay there. Maybe I was just lucky.

Thanks to all for the kind comments; and I will not be doing the Beaver to go with it, sorry Richard!

Viery nice work, finish is great and loev the opened up doors and interior, great little model.

neat finish on this..... and love the open door into the cockpit... am sure I built one of these many (and I mean 25+) years ago. Painted yellow & white I do believe......

• 6 years later...

True "zombie" thread, but I just had to say how much I like this build! A FIGAS Islander has been on my to-do list for years and this is a great source of inspiration for me. A belated "Bravo!", Dave!

• Like 1

Interesting story and a nice build.

Compliments.

Regards, Dirk / The Netherlands                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Totally awesome build of a subject close to my heart!

I built a re-issue of the kit about a dozen years ago and yours just leaves mine for dead (though a satisfying build for me, nonetheless).

:goodjob: