1/72 Matchbox Buccaneer S.1 conversion

Paul

I'm really looking forward to this, yet a little apprehensive :frantic:

I've never done a conversion on this scale before.

Here's the venerable old kit (and in three colours too!)

BuccaneerS11.jpg

And the Freightdog decals, Areoclub metal seats and the Maintrack resin conversion (which I bought from AntPhillips from this very site :cheers:)

BuccaneerS12.jpg

I'll also have to print some red phoenix squadron emblems and some black Royal Navy legends for the tail, also a thing which I've not done before.

This should be interesting!

hi mate looking forward to this if it helps the Red phoenixes are in the MA decal sheets unfortunaly i havent got that bit left i recently gave it way but somone may have some left

I've never really taken much interest (takes cover) in Buccaneers (too recent for most of my interests)

but this looks an intriguing project. So, I'm pulling up a chair and bringing the :popcorn: to watch with interest.

Thanks for the interest guys :thumbsup:

A quick question about white S.1 markings. I have looked at several pics of them and can't see any stencilling at all, not even the red boxes on the intakes for the fire panels that are prominent on the EDSG/White S.1s.

Any ideas about which stencils would have been used? I'm especially interested to know if they carried the yellow strip on the top of the wings.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Thanks for the interest guys :thumbsup:

A quick question about white S.1 markings. I have looked at several pics of them and can't see any stencilling at all, not even the red boxes on the intakes for the fire panels that are prominent on the EDSG/White S.1s.

Any ideas about which stencils would have been used? I'm especially interested to know if they carried the yellow strip on the top of the wings.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Paul, None of the S1's in the white scheme show any stencilling at all in M J Doust's book Buccaneer S1 from the cockpit 6. And there a a fair few pictures to look at. Regards Paul.

Hi

I have had a look in a few books and the "Buccaneers" by G. Pitchfork has some good colour shots where you can see some stenciling. My view is that its there but toned down like the V Bombers were and is light grey or blue rather than black. Lots of pics of White Vulcans show the toned down markings.

My other thought is that photographing white aircraft usually gives an over exposed plane and a dark back ground, as you will learn when you try and photograph your finished model. Thus the surface features, panel lines and markings are lost against an over exposed picture making white aircraft appear lighter than they actually were. Thats why white Buccs, Cans etc always look so clean.

When I made a White Vulcan years ago I put the actual stencils on then sprayed a light white coat of paint over them. Not sure how it would work in 1/72 but I might try it myself as Im building a white one.

Cheers

Colin W

Colin - Interesting stuff, i'll try to find some more references for the underside, maybr that'll help.

A bit of progress so far -

BuccaneerS14.jpg

Cowling and wing trim for the S.1 resin intakes.

BuccaneerS13.jpg

And removing the intake fillet from the fuselage (the plastic's getting a bit on the thin side now!)

There seems like such a way to go before I can even close up the fuselage, very enjoyable stuff though.

• 3 months later...

I've been a bit slow with this one recently.

Trying to scratchbuild a cockpit at the moment as this is completely missing from the Matchbox kit.

Bucc3.jpg

Long old job for me as I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to look like a buccaneer. The S.1 conversion is certainly a great way to turn a 3 colour kit into a 4 colour kit!

The filler in front of the intake is where I sanded through the fuselage skin when removing the intake fillets!

Bucc5.jpg

Finished the rudimentary scratchbuilt cockpit (with Aeroclub seats) and the sanding. Just needs the canopy on (and a good wash!) before some primer.

Bucc7.jpg

Nearly there, hopefully!

Edited by Paul

• 2 weeks later...

And she's finished!

Bucc13.jpg

This has really tested me as I'd not really done much in the way of sctratchbuilding before and I had a go at making a rudimentary cockpit. I'd also not really undertaken much in the way of resin conversions before or printed my own decals. So loads of firsts in one build. It could have come out better with more patience, but it looks OK to me.

Thanks to everyone that has left messages of encouragement and help :cheers:

And thanks to Mark for hosting :cheers:

More pics on the completed bricks thread.

Thanks all, Paul.