A visit with my family to GAF museum Gatow

coneheadff

Hi,

I posted one of these pics at Drewe's F-86K build and promissed to send some more over here as I didn't want to hijack his great build.

The photos were made last year but I hasn't change a lot since. There are two hangars with wonderful restored aircrafts but most of them are fading outside...what a mass!

I didn't take any pictures of one of the hangar where the 109 and a V2 are but I will next time.

Hope you like the photos. They are made with a "regular" family cam...so nothing special but at least you get a look at former RAF station Gatow.

Cheers,

Alex

IMGP2597.jpg

IMGP2596.jpg

IMGP2595.jpg

IMGP2593.jpg

IMGP2585.jpg

IMGP2584.jpg

IMGP2583.jpg

IMGP2582.jpg

IMGP2581.jpg

IMGP2579.jpg

Edited by coneheadff

good drills matey, some lovely pics, is the 4 sqn harrier gr3? still there or has it moved.

Never saw a Gr.3 there. But there's a 4 Sqn Gr.1. Sixth picture, the third a/c from the right next to the Canberra (looking at the Canberra)

How could I miss to make a picture of the aircrafts of that row :angrysoapbox.sml:

But there's a lot more great stuff to see...92 Sqn Lightning, a lot of SAMs and their ground equipment, a Pershing II, a couple of Fiat G-91...

You shouldn't miss a visit to the museum if you're Berlin.

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by coneheadff

Nice pics :) It's sad that all those classic aircraft are sat out weathering, but there's something quite attractive about a delapidated paintjob... once I'm a better modeller, I might have to do one that's been in storage or summit... :hmmm:

Nice pics :) It's sad that all those classic aircraft are sat out weathering, but there's something quite attractive about a delapidated paintjob... once I'm a better modeller, I might have to do one that's been in storage or summit... :hmmm:

Talking of weathering that would look great on a model...

IMGP3522.jpg

IMGP3535.jpg

:weep:

Gatow doesn't look the same without looking across the airfield and seeing "The Wall"

Many thanks for the pictures, I think I will still stay with my memories!

Cheers

Jeff

How much time have you spent here?

I can't explain it...but sometimes I miss the wall.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad that the people on "the other side" aren't trapped behind that damn thing anymore and that sick system is gone...but I loved Berlin when the wall was still up. A calm and nice place to live.

Today... :puke:

Although...I'm glad that thing came down otherwise I wouldn't have met my wife

How much time have you spent here?

I can't explain it...but sometimes I miss the wall.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad that the people on "the other side" aren't trapped behind that damn thing anymore and that sick system is gone...but I loved Berlin when the wall was still up. A calm and nice place to live.

Today... :puke:

Although...I'm glad that thing came down otherwise I wouldn't have met my wife

Let's just say that I use to go into the East and upset the "Eastie Beasties". My favourite one was to park the car right outside the front of the old Air Ministry building, to go 'shopping' in East Berlin. Of course all East Berliners knew who was in residence there! Being that I was covered by diplomatic status the "Eastie Beasties" could not do a thing about it. Another was to park in side streets and give local children sweets and soap, which were in very short supply. If they knew that they were not being watched they would 'rip' my hand off to get the presents. Normally after about ten minutes the street would fill up with black soviet cars, parked bumper to bumper, each full of gorilla's just waiting to see if anybody approach my car. I always researched what was in short supply in the East and then take the 'goodies' with me on the next trip. I seem to remember that soap and tooth paste were always favourites. Another was to park on a street corner right next to a patrolling Volpo and park in a forbidden parking place, again nothing could be done about it.

The West Berlin that I remember was always happy and at night sparkling, quite a few good nights in the 'Ace of Clubs'.

Then to go over to the east and everything was dark and drab, and a strange smell. One old timer told me it was the smell of fear. I found it very hard to think that both sections of the city were once the same city. To see the 'Modern Shopping Centre" in East Berlin and the utter rubbish that they sold compared to the "Party Shop" and what the party members could buy, showed that everybody in East German were not equal! Although I must admit that I got my children school bags in the Shopping Centre, made from solid leather for DM4 when in the West I could have paid upto DM60.

Happy days, but best forgotten, and yes I have still got my bit of the "Wall", and some aluminium money. :thumbsup2:

Cheers

Jeff