Academy 1/32 F-16I SUFA

Damocles

Has anyone got the Academy 1/32 scale F-16I SUFA yet ?. If so, what are your thoughts ?.

I am planning a WIF, RAF version armed with Meteor, Storm Shadow and a few LGB's, but will wait until some PE/Resin detail sets are available.

Chris.

Has anyone got the Academy 1/32 scale F-16I SUFA yet ?. If so, what are your thoughts ?.

I am planning a WIF, RAF version armed with Meteor, Storm Shadow and a few LGB's, but will wait until some PE/Resin detail sets are available.

Chris.

I got my sample back in May and here's my review on it:

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=8929

Some nice additions weapons wise, but not enough corrections; the intakes are still hosed.

Mike V

Chris.

Aires has already released a landing gear bays set for this kit. Also, Wolfpack has already released a cockpit set and a correction set that addresses a few sensor/antennae issues. I have the kit but haven't really delved into it at all. I should be receiving the cockpit and LG sets in the next few days.

I forgot to mention another AM product. A company called Wheelliant has released a set of weighted resin wheels for the Sufa. They are a multi-part assembly that looks (at least in pics) to be extremely detailed. They're only around $9.00 US. Got 'em on order...

whl132006.jpg

A bit of Googling revealed that Wheelliant is a new product line from Aires. Just FYI as I hadn't heard of it prior to seeing this set.

I got a good look at the Wheelaint F-16 wheels on display at the Nationals. Once I got past the "Wow Factor", I took note of some major inaccuracies:

The main error that stood out was that the Block 50/52+/60 main wheels are NOT dished as they are in wheelaint cast. The wheel hub bulge contour is also wrong. These are Block 60 wheels, not Sufa. The main difference is the 6 fasteners on the perimeter of the main wheel hubs, as well as some brake details.

The main tires were too wide and the tires had a square profile to them as well. On top of that, the tire tread is too aggressive. It would have been nice if Aires would of included a correct widened NLG fork to go along with the wider NLG wheel assembly, as it's going to look strange, if not ridiculous on the standard NLG fork. The nomenclature is misleading, as titling the sets "Block 50/52, Block 52+ or Block 60 wheel sets" would have been a lot more practical.

It's shame as the wheel castings are very well done. Even though the tire font is seriously exaggerated, it can be sanded down to scale. Overall, the Tamiya kit wheels (Block 50/52) are still more accurate in shape and profile contour; just less the tire and brake detail.

Mike V