Pre-War Sptfire rudders

Nick Milham

My first post to BM so hello to all. I'm researching photos of pre-war Spits and have noticed something curious in those well-known photos of 19 Squadron a/c -- some sort of fitting on the top of the vertical fin where it meets the rudder. Seems to be elliptical in shape and fairly large. I haven't seen it in photos of Spits in other squadrons. Any clues what it might be or when it appeared? I'm hoping to build an accurate version of a 19 Squadron Spit of that period.

I've been mightily impressed with the collective knowledge of this forum, so I figured you were the ones to ask! Thanks in advance.

Nick

File%3a%53pitI19a.jpg

Nick,

you sure it's not the aerial mount, have a look in this months Flypast Magazine and there is a close up of it and description in the article about Airframe Assemblies.

Welcome to the forums BTW

One book stated that it was the early I.F.F. aerial, but, after a chat with John Adams, I'm convinced that it was, in fact, the deflector for the planned (but didn't happen) anti-spin parachute. In some photos, it's possible to see that it was attached to the fin, not the rudder, and faced forward, not up, as often depicted.

Edgar

One book stated that it was the early I.F.F. aerial, but, after a chat with John Adams, I'm convinced that it was, in fact, the deflector for the planned (but didn't happen) anti-spin parachute. In some photos, it's possible to see that it was attached to the fin, not the rudder, and faced forward, not up, as often depicted.

Edgar

Do you have any decent images or drawings of it Edgar?

Edgar

Ahhhhhhh! I'd never heard of the anti-spin parachute but it sounds like the answer to me. I did some more poking around the web and came up with this:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=75816

There's a link there to the photo which shows what looks to be just the thing. Apparently it was fitted to the first 20 production aircraft, which might explain why I've seen it only on pics of 19 Squadron a/c. Presumably they took them off at some point. Any idea when?

Regards and thanks.

Haven't a clue; there was mention, in 1938, of strengthening the fuselage, to cope with the parachute, but nothing afterwards. I can only guess that the fittings never happened, and it just withered away on the vine.

Edgar

:welcome: to the forums Nick... we'll have to check we're speaking to Nick Milham or Nick Millman from now on! :wacko:

:post1:

Ah, Nick

in an wispered aside to self:

:hmmm: you suppose maybe Nick Mllman forgot his login and just rejoined misspelling his name???...........NAH! must be two of 'em :rofl:

I'll go be good now :winkgrin:

Hi Chaps

Here's my two pennoth.

The proototype was fitted with an anti spin parachute which was stowed behind the sliding canopy hood and the balance horns had a metal shield fitted to prevent the parachute lines becoming tangled.

The fisrt few production a/c had the shield fitted and incidently asliding dimmer screen in front of the windscreen. Also the very early a/c had flat canopies as opposed to the iconic domed types fitted before the war.

Cheers

faceman