- as I won't be able to get on line (and be able to actively do stuff) after later tonight.

Well, unfortunately I haven't had time to fit the rear view mirror, or finish the approx 4 billion wheat stalks for the base- but this is about the model.

Uffz. Zaunbrecher was a pilot with 2./JG 52 during the monumental air battles now referred to as the Battle of Britain, and was flying "Red 14" when his aircraft was damaged in combat during the early afternoon of August 12th 1940. He managed to jettison his canopy, and make a force landing in a field near Lewes in Sussex.

The aircraft I believe is an E-1 model, that earlier in it's life had been painted in RLM 70/71, and repainted in the "high side" 71/02/65 scheme as worn by most Luftwaffe fighters during the battle of France and the earliest stages of the Battle over England.

It is difficult to tell exactly how the upper wing surfaces would have been painted, possibly refurbed to the field standard splinter scheme (a little liek the factory splinter pattern for 02/71, or in any other fashion- so I chose to repaint the RLM 70 with '02 and make it a little scruffy. I doubt if Leo Z. was too bothered about the paint job, and just happy that he got down in one piece no doubt being shadowed by a pack of hungry young RAF pilots!

The Airfix kit is the proverbial curate's egg- pretty good in dimensions and outline, recessed panel lines, overall good shapes, and extremely good fit, and set up of the wings, with none of the banana plastic so prevalent among Tamiya kits in particular.

The kit has a slightly too square edged upper fuselage profile (corrected,) and a chunky l/e wing camber (corrected- and modified to portray an E-1 variant- not properly catered for in the kit.)

The cockpit is of a standard- acceptable in 2010 by the narrowest of margins (pun intended,) and I replaced the whole thing with an AIres set, which can ultimately be made to fit once hammers chisels and orbital sanders have been utilised for some light "encouraging."

I opted to use the Tamiya prop as the blade profile was quite adequate considering what I had in mind for it- and the pitch collar detail is FAR in advance of the Airfix ummmm- blobs. Once dremeled out, the Airfix spinner was far more accurate and a much tighter fit around the pitch collars- as you may be able to see from the photo's.

The worst part of the Airfix kit is the canopy sets- utter yuck on a very large scale- but then I only used 1/3 of the set on my aircraft, and even then the E-1 pieces are definitely the "soft option" here..

As usual I used Gods chosen paint (lol) Gunze, in various mixes to get the colours I required, and for the first time used my Rosie the Riveter and immediately realised this is the way to go in future to make a model more "interesting and give the airframe more form.

I used Aeromaster decals, and for the first time used Testor's Dullcote- and well.. :wub:

I didn't have time to finish the base- although I did make a good start- and this has given me encouragement for the future.

Anyhow- here's some photo's :)

5214774146_a897ec5322_b.jpg

5214187569_a7327f2c75_b.jpg

5214196747_2391c50b5b_b.jpg

5214783880_3337d2335e_b.jpg

5214199721_bee07c409a_b.jpg

5214189901_b0aae23622_b.jpg

5214778768_2d45e7b70e_b.jpg

5214184839_f85c601b7b_b.jpg

• Like 1

Hampden EA-M flown by Roderick Alastair Brook Learoyd of 49 Squadron.

Target: Dortmund Ems canal, a heavily-defended objective which received considerable attention from RAF bombers in mid-1940.

Date: 12th August 1940.

Aircraft: Hampden B.1 P4403 EA-M

'Babe' Learoyd later won a VC for his efforts during the war.

P1010023-1.jpg

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010026.jpg

P1010029.jpg

Forgot to Add my 109 to the finished gallery in time ……..

BF 109 E-4

Black 3 flown by Erwin (Emil) Leykauf

8/JG54 September 1940.

BofB109E043.jpg

BofB109E042.jpg

Born in January 1918, Erwin Leykauf learned to fly at glider school and Luftkriegschule, before being called up to fly at the beginning of the war. He flew with JG21 at the beginning of the Battle of Britain, which soon became JG54 where he scored his first 7 victories. Transferring to the Balkans and later the Eastern Front he was forced into an emergency landing behind enemy lines during Operation Barbarossa, eventually making his way back to rejoin his unit. On the night of 22nd - 23rd June 1942, he claimed 6 victories in less than one hour. In August 1943, Leykauf began converting with JG54 to the Fw190 fighter. At the end of the war he was with JG7, flying the Me262, although he did not get a chance to fly any missions on the jet fighter. Erwin was awarded the Iron Cross I and II and his victories had climbed to 33.

The full build can be seen here.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53276

Edited by FZ6