Grumman F-14M Tomcat F2

Jabba

Here are some photos of my progress so far. I have made some initial sanding of the filler that I applied. In the next few days I hope to have the fuselage totally put together and we shall see from there. I have also shown the wings and as I said earlier I will be putting these into the model after painting. Sorry to say but the colour scheme will be mainly of the grey variety, but and I do stress but there will be some biggish splashes of colour, I just don't know where and what colours as yet.

A quick question. Phantoms and Tornados had ILS aerials on their fins. I am thinking of doing this to this model and my question is would it be two aerials on one fin or one aerial on the outer face of each fin?

TomcatF2010.jpg

TomcatF2011.jpg

TomcatF2012.jpg

that kit looks like its got a bit of fight in it, looking good though

It is putting up a bit of a fight, but as the Vogan guards would say "resistance is futile".

Looking good

Thanks for that.

I have now got the fuselage all built up and lots more filler applied. Hopefully I shall it all sanded down over the next few days or so, as I have a couple of days off work.

Edited by Jabba

Thats her all built up now and time to put paint onto plastic. I have mentioned earleir that although this will be a grey aircraft there will be some splashes of colour and what I am going to try and do are the fins like the Lightning F3s of 111Sqn, along with the canopy and surround painted black like the initial VF-1 colour scheme. Now all I have to do is find the markings, hopefully this weekend at the Avon show.

TomcatF2013.jpg

TomcatF2014.jpg

TomcatF2015.jpg

Ello Jabba my friend,

Im with you on the fireworks, and fair enough :thumbsup2: Re: ILS Antennae, I personally would go with one on each fin, but for a more informed view, if it was me, Id drop our Crazy Viking friend a PM, aka Hatchet.......... hes always bailed me out the poo on all things Whiffy :worthy:

Keep up the good work my friend, looks like youve got her under control, and if yoour previous Gulf TSR2 is anything to go by, then this will be of similar superb standards :worthy:

ATB

Bexy

its just a thought...

but how about ils antenna tucked away under the wing glove?...or in the bottom part of the pod under the chin where the tv camera sits?

failing that, did the 'cat have CCA (carrier controlled approach) antenna secreted away anywhere?..if so replace them with ILS and away you go?

steve

Great work so far bur im with taidan on this one, BoB scheme would really be diffrent on a Tom and rather good i think or even a tonka desert scheme with sharkmouth style

Russ

Ello Jabba my friend,

Im with you on the fireworks, and fair enough :thumbsup2: Re: ILS Antennae, I personally would go with one on each fin, but for a more informed view, if it was me, Id drop our Crazy Viking friend a PM, aka Hatchet.......... hes always bailed me out the poo on all things Whiffy :worthy:

Keep up the good work my friend, looks like youve got her under control, and if yoour previous Gulf TSR2 is anything to go by, then this will be of similar superb standards :worthy:

ATB

Bexy

Thanks Bex,

I have had a word with Wez who is an avionics person that I know from our RAF days together and hs has recommended the one aerial on each fin idea.

Great work so far bur im with taidan on this one, BoB scheme would really be diffrent on a Tom and rather good i think or even a tonka desert scheme with sharkmouth style

Russ

As this model is set in the mid eighties the BoB scheme would not have been thought of, and whilst the pink Tomcat scheme is tempting, the Tomcat was used as a fighter in th RAF and all the Tornado F3s were painted grey not pink.

The main painting is now been done with a few touch ups to be carried out. The last photo shows some markings that I picked up last weekend from the Avon show, which hopefully will be fitted onto the fin with a little adjustment here and there, with possibly some extra yellow from some other decal sheets that I have. I have also started to put together the weapons and fuel tanks that will be fitted.

TomcatF2016.jpg

TomcatF2017.jpg

TomcatF2018.jpg

TomcatF2019.jpg

TomcatF2020.jpg

I have now started to put the decals onto this one. I have got the majority of the bigger ones on, just a few more to put on when I have decided where they are to go. I have also managed to match up the yellow decal colour with a paint so the the stripe on the fin can now go all the way to the rear of the fin ( the decal didn't quite stretch that far). I have now got to find a lot of smaller detail decals from other sheets in stock that will be suitable for this model. I am trying as hard as I can not to use the kit ones as these are for an American painted aircraft not a British painted one. I have also started on making up the wizz bangs that will be hung off the pylons.

TomcatF2021.jpg

TomcatF2022.jpg

TomcatF2023.jpg

Tomcat looks great in those markings!

I now have all the decals applied to the model as the following pictures show. I have added a close up of the tail and nose markings which show another Sqn based at RAF Leuchars has zapped this aircarft. Hopefully I will weather this one a little and apply some varnish this week before I start to add things like the U/C and other smaller parts.

TomcatF2024.jpg

TomcatF2025.jpg

TomcatF2026.jpg

TomcatF2027.jpg