Grumman F-14M Tomcat F2

Jabba

In the early 1980s the RAF got fed up with waiting for the Foxhunter radar to work properly and decided to cancel the whole project, and buy what was considered at the time the best aircraft for the role of long range interceptor that being the Grumman F-14 Tomcat. Initially F-14A aircraft were leased from the US Navy, as the better F-14D was not that far down the line of coming into being and would be available as new build aircraft. The aircraft were bought straight off the production line with none of the trials and tribulations of trying to fit British equipment that had happened in earlier aircraft that were bought from the USA. The first aircraft arrived in 1985, and were given to Sqns that were still using the Lightning, and then to other air defence Sqns. The more powerful F-14D version came along in 1989, and was first given to those Sqns that still operated the Phantom FG1, which were the Sqns based at RAF Leuchars. The leased aircraft were given back to the US Navy as they were replaced by the better F-14D. The F-14As were designated as F-14K by the Americans, F1 by the RAF, whilst the F-14Ds were F-14M and F2 repectively.

Edited by Jabba

Here is the kit that I will be using for this project. It is the first time that I have used the Revell version of the Tomcat (usually Hasegawa), so I do not know if there are any pitfalls. The pictures below show the sprues and a set of markings that I got from a Fujimi Phantom kit. I have not quite decided on the finsihed colour scheme as yet and maybe getting more decals from other sources.

TomcatF2001.jpg

TomcatF2002.jpg

TomcatF2003.jpg

TomcatF2004.jpg

TomcatF2005.jpg

TomcatF2006.jpg

Edited by Jabba

Well Dan.

I've been looking at my F-14 books, and at one stage the USMC were showing an interest in the cat, so maybe a cat in USMC markings?

Also Grumman tried to sell to the Canadians, Japanese and to the USAF as the ADC main fighter.

So far I have got the cockpit made up and painted. I have not put in the stick as yet so that there are not broken off before the cockpit is joined to the fuselage. I have also glued together some of the smaller sub sections which can be added later. Thanks Daz for the tip about the fuselage joint. I think that this is a common thing with Tomcat kits as the Hasegawa one also has a problem there.

TomcatF2007.jpg

TomcatF2008.jpg

TomcatF2009.jpg

I thought it looked familiar! And great progress-you know you want to do the Ark Royal bird :wicked:

Sorry to say no, once Air Force always Air Force.

Looking good so far, have you finalised the paint scheme yet?

Dan

Sort of as I think that it will something similar to the original Tornado F3 colours, it is mainly the markings that I am still thinking about as I have several options in my mind.

Good start so far Jabba, I reckon she'll look quite smart once done........ are you sticking with standard US "fireworks" or will they end up British?

Bexy

Good start so far Jabba, I reckon she'll look quite smart once done........ are you sticking with standard US "fireworks" or will they end up British?

Bexy

L O Bex,

I will be mainly keeping the US whiz bangs, the Phoenix (as this is why the RAF picked this instead of the Eagle) and sidewinder, but I will have the Skyflash installed on the wings, which is basically the Sparrow in another name shapewise.

I have now got the fuselage together, and applied copious amounts of filler to most of the joints. I have not added the wings as I have found out that these can be added later after the painting has been done. So it is now on with the sanding down of all this filler.