RAF 11 Sqn Airbus A380 MPA

bexwh773

In late 2007, with war ongoing in both Afghanistan and Iraq, the Ministry of Defence realised cuts were needed to support both of these theatres. The RAF thus decided to retire its ageing VC10 K2s, Lockheed L1011 Tristars and the E-3 Sentry fleet by putting all its eggs in one basket and utilising the new Airbus A380 airframe, in order to combine air to air refuelling, troop & cargo transport and AWACS aircraft.

With the A380 being such a new aircraft, it was hoped that reliabilty would be very high, with maintenance and fuel costs low and as a final cost reducing excerise, parts and equiptment were to be scavanged from the retired aircraft, rotordome from E-3's and refuelling systems from both VC10's & L1011's. It was also decided that although the A380 has an excellent long range, it would need its own refuelling probe, so these were to be retractable types sourced from retired Tornado's.

The only weaponry it would carry are AIM 9 Sidewinders for its own protection, and thus the Airbus A380 MPA (Multi Purpose Aircraft) was born and issued to the RAF's 11 Sqn in January 2010.

I have been collecting various bits for this model for 2 years now, so thanks go to Dave T, The Wooksta, Nev, ChancerUK and A N Other :wicked: for helping me with this project.

I will be using the following:

Revell 1/144th Airbus A380 "Emirates"

VC10 Wing hose & drogue pods

VC10 decals

Lightning F Mk6 decals

KC97 rear refuelling probe

E-3 Sentry Rotordome

Tornado refuelling probe

1/144th Sidewinders

Photos will follow shortly of all parts collected and work done tonight.

Thanks for looking

Bexy

Edited by bexwh773

Thanks guys, gonna be a challenge as I already know this kit is a complete pig to build but Im game for a laugh, anyways, heres some pics of the bits :yikes:

DSCF4028.jpg

DSCF4029.jpg

DSCF4030.jpg

Thanks Gang :yahoo:

Small update then before bed, wings and elevators together, UC bays, cockpit, elevators fitted to the fuselage. Photos in the morning when I get home from the dentist :suicide:

A small note, gotta write to those nice folks at Revell later, as my kit is missing its clear sprue..... ah deep joy :doh:

Thanks for looking :thumbsup2:

Bexy

Hi,

looks nice.....

will you be needing the Emirates decs?

(still got the 737 and airbus aside for me??)

Thanks Rich, funnily enough, I was gonna drop you a PM later re those kits for you, so will do that shortly, dont worry, theyre stshed away with your name on :thumbsup2: Re the Emirates decals, theyre yours if ya want them, the only decals I will be using are any important stencils and the doors etc

Bexy

Thanks for the comments Gang, so after an afternoon of fondling a large amount of plastic, this is where Im upto :yahoo:

Lastnights work:

DSCF4032.jpg

DSCF4033.jpg

Todays work:

Fuselage together, wings & tail planes fitted:

DSCF4036.jpg

Painting and assembling of the engines:

DSCF4035.jpg

Close up shot of the cockpit....... having looked at the base of the tornado refuel pipe, I may redesign this one......

DSCF4037.jpg

Bexy

does the Emirates version have red door lines? I'd need some red doors instead the grey doors of the Lufthansa.

does the Emirates version have red door lines? I'd need some red doors instead the grey doors of the Lufthansa.

Im afraid not Micha, these ones are silver :doh:

Bexy

After a little deliberation lastnight I decided to remove the lower part of the tornado refuel probe as it looked over scale and ridiculous, so Im having a rethink how I plan to get around this one, but I have a couple of ideas to work on so far :thumbsup2:

The rest of lastnight was spent painting up the engine components for building later on today, and heres a couple of pics to be going on with.

Bexy

DSCF4039.jpg

DSCF4038.jpg

yeah about the refuelling probe. on such a large aircraft, would it be somewhere out infront of the cockpit so the pilots can see the final stage of joining up. Like a VC10 or Hercules? I think... In any case, the build is coming on nicely. I like it

Rowan

Hi Bexy,

Good to see you back on here, and sorry I haven't called or PM'ed recently.

I was going to suggest a Nimrod/VC10/Hercules/Vulcan/Victor/Belfast (you get the picture) installation for the IFR probe. Just think of all that spare space at the front end of the upper dexck above the flight deck for all that plumbing to clutter up, lol!

Is sammy's ceiling going to be strong enough to hang that big beast from?

Take care,

Steve