The Reference thread

Col.

Top stuff Steve, thanks for sharing :speak_cool:

Mike, I'll try to post a couple I found tomorrow if I can figure out where I've stored them.

Can anyone confirm the length of a British 1,000 Paveway bomb? I've dry fitted the one in the Flightpath detail set and the seaker head looks too long although this might be an optical illusion as I haven't fitted the vanes to it yet.

Thanks

OK I seriously dont believe XX720 ever existed!! I looked at over 1000 photos of Jags on Airliners.net and there were exactly ZERO of that airframe!! Does anyone have a pic or two of this jet?? Preferebly in the winter scheme :)

Mike

Hi Mike,

Don't despair, phots of your preferred jet in its preferred scheme abound. Here is one on MyAviation.net (YourAviation if you look at it?) as GB in the winter scheme, but I also found some when it was EN of 6 Sqn earlier in its career. When searching Airliners or the like, try putting the serial you want in the search field for registration, and limiting Airline to 'UK - Air Force'. Good luck with your search.

Benny,

Many thanks for the seat pictures - they'll prove very handy.

Cheers,

Andrew

Bet you dont half regret use Benny as your handle Steve? :wacko:

Nah, old family tradition mate...

...though we prefer to think of it as in 'Goodman' rather than 'from Crossroads'!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm just off to look for a spanner...

Steve.

PS might get one of these so I can be recognised at Telford...

http://www.8ball.co.uk/tshirt/3/30050/T-Sh...Tshirt---Benny/

Bet you dont half regret use Benny as your handle Steve? :wacko:

Gary,

Done in all innocence, as you've probably guessed. Flimsy explanation follows....

Nah, old family tradition mate...

...though we prefer to think of it as in 'Goodman' rather than 'from Crossroads'!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm just off to look for a spanner...

Steve.

PS might get one of these so I can be recognised at Telford...

http://www.8ball.co.uk/tshirt/3/30050/T-Sh...Tshirt---Benny/

Steve,

Apologies for misuse of a contraction of your username - all due to my less-than-thorough reading of your post, and perhaps an unseemly haste to save the seat pictures. I have no idea what 'Benny' implies, but definitely hope that the consequences aren't dire. Still very grateful for the pics though.

Andrew.

Bah humbug! :angry: The one time when you need ARC for reference to Neil's lovely build, it's broken! When did that happen? I had a quick look at the alternative forums (yack!) and they weren't giving much away about the reasons why it was boofed, but when I tried to go to the real ARC forums, I kept getting a message in German about the file not being found (educated guess), so it looks like someone's mucked with their DNS servers on the face of it, unless they've been hosting the forums on a German server (unlikely).

:hmmm:

Hmm, was on this morning for a wee while but noticed a message to the effect they were down on the homepage at lunch-time as I was going through the walkarounds. Shame Neil didn't post a link to his photobucket (or whatever image host he uses) somewhere.

I'm in the final stages of gathering references for my build of XX119 in the "spotty" orange and black retirement scheme. On the outer faces of the ventral strakes there is a name stencilled in white (Nick ???????? possibly?) on the port strake and a scroll on the starboard strake that the photos I have do not show clearly. I believe that the name and scroll were added after the roll out but before the first flight in the retirement scheme. I've searched UKAR but cannot find any close up photos of the strakes. Can anyone help me (and Doc Fester who is doing the same scheme for the GB) with a photo or two.

Thanks,

Ian

I have had a look at the photo's of xx119 I have and the ones my dad has, niether of the said items are on the pictures, the pictures were taken after the first flight but I remember the scroll being there but sorry no picture of the name either. Might be now I come to think of it "Nick?????" might be the late Nick Lock the engineer who had cancer and all of 6 sqn were trying to raise funds for his traetment.

Other than that Ian I cannont help sorry, I can defo remember the scroll because when we were working on it a couple of us said "what the hell are their names doing on there when the groundcrews should have been on it" lol the little things, In the end we ended up all signing the jet anyway.

Wardy

• 5 weeks later...

hi all, need a bit of help so I'll ask quick couple of questions if I may. I was intended to do XX119 with the yellow/blue 54sq checkerboard, then obtained the model alliance decal set so it changed to XX112 with the light blue fin in 6 sq retirement scheme.

What colour should the gun muzzles be? Some photos I've seen they look steel coloured, the ones I've got of XX112 its hard to tell but they look bronzey/reddy/purpley??! The instructions say Humbrol 133 (Brown) so no clues there.

Secondly I've been trying to find a decent pic of a naked outer pylon as again all the photos I've got of XX112 show nothing on these and I'm worried it might look a bit odd and unfinished if I don't try and make some resemblence to what an unloaded pylon looks like.

Thanks,

Caleb

What colour should the gun muzzles be? Some photos I've seen they look steel coloured, the ones I've got of XX112 its hard to tell but they look bronzey/reddy/purpley??! The instructions say Humbrol 133 (Brown) so no clues there.

Can help you with this one as I've fitted a few. They were officially known as gun shrouds and were fastened using loads of x-point screws all around the circumference of the shroud (if you were changing both guns you had something ridiculous like 120 screws to remove and then refit. Used to take bloody ages!). Anyway, when the shrouds were brand new they were a peculiar dark metallic red colour, almost a metallic crimson. After they had been fitted a while and subject to the rigours of gun firing they became a lot lighter in tone. They can also look quite dark after gun firing, with all the sooty deposits left behind.

Secondly I've been trying to find a decent pic of a naked outer pylon as again all the photos I've got of XX112 show nothing on these and I'm worried it might look a bit odd and unfinished if I don't try and make some resemblence to what an unloaded pylon looks like.

What scale are you building chap? If it's 1:72 I may have a couple spare you can have.

Gary.

Edited by rdxtnt

Thanks Gary, I think I'll try and do them the reddy colour as from the pics XX112 had a new set fitted when she was painted.

0565476.jpg

Scale wise its the Airfix 1/48 GR3. So far all I can tell from the pylons is they look like they have a clamp fore and aft which looks like o=o. Can't tell if there is anything between them like data cable ports or additional mounts or anything so some help would be ace!

Thanks,

Caleb

Thanks Gary, I think I'll try and do them the reddy colour as from the pics XX112 had a new set fitted when she was painted.

0565476.jpg

Scale wise its the Airfix 1/48 GR3. So far all I can tell from the pylons is they look like they have a clamp fore and aft which looks like o=o. Can't tell if there is anything between them like data cable ports or additional mounts or anything so some help would be ace!

Thanks,

Caleb

Not really sure what you mean on that one Caleb. Do you mean on the sides of the pylon or on the base, or what?

Not really sure what you mean on that one Caleb. Do you mean on the sides of the pylon or on the base, or what?

Sorry I didn't really make that clear did I. Viewed directly from below.

Sorry I didn't really make that clear did I. Viewed directly from below.

Well, looking from below you would see the two hooks which would fasten around the suspension lugs of any stores being carried. If there are no stores fitted to the pylon I think any of the electrical connectors etc. would be hidden under blanking plates. I think I see what you mean now with your diagram ( o=o). The "o" would be the two hooks and the "=" I seem to recall were a pair of rods which joined the two hooks together. Can't be 100% sure on that as I'm going back a while. When a store was dropped the hooks were opened by gas pressure from a couple of cartridges. I think the hooks were joined together to ensure that they both opened together even if one of the cartridges didn't go off.

Thanks,

Caleb

Here's a couple, they dont show all the pylon but I have some shots that do. Am at work at the mo, and the rest of my Jag pics are on the PC at home or on disc somewhere, I will dig them out.

Thinking about it, I have bucket loads of shots, so if anybody does need anything specific I will see what I have.

131_3191.jpg

131_3193.jpg

B)

Thanks,

Caleb

And here's your gun muzzle, with a very red tone to it. Probably quite a fresh application.

133_3346.jpg

B)

Thanks guys, thats given me a fair bit to go on. Time to attack the pylons and see what happens. Sorry for all the questions but its my first attempt at a detailed build.

And if nothing else at least I'll have a lot to talk about in the asylum....

And here's your gun muzzle, with a very red tone to it. Probably quite a fresh application.

133_3346.jpg

B)

That's a good shot Neil. You can see that the six round tubes behind the shroud were also painted in the same metallic red colour. Also visible is the small rectangular door above the panel with the louvres. The Airfix 1:48 kit has a second NACA duct in this position which is a leftover from when the kit was produced by Heller as a French Jaguar A, so this needs altering if you're doing a RAF or Omani Jag. Not sure about the Nigerian/Ecuador ones. This small door was opened by an electric motor when the guns were selected for firing and was designed to purge the gun bay of any remaining explosive gases after firing.