Rhodesian Air Force Buccaneer What if

wkennerley

Well this will be my build, Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer as a what if the Rhodesian Air Force acquired these aircraft - Could have been a possibility as the South African's had them and I guess that they could have sold some to the Rhodesians - Right so I have had a little think about this - It won't be as elaborate as some but here goes.

The year is 1971, the insurgent attacks in Rhodesia are stepping up. Cross border flights in the photo Canberra have shown a number of insurgent camps in neighbouring countries. Air strikes with Hunter and Canberra, whilst effective have shown that an aircraft with a bigger weapons load was needed. The Rhodesian Government entererd talks with the South Africans, the conclusionbeing that the Rhodesian Air Force was able to purchase 4 Buccaneer S.50s. This aircraft with an internal bomb bay and the capability to carry 4 Matra rocket pods, was a bit like a Canberra and Hunter combined. So now one aircraft could be used instead of two (though in all likelyhood the Canberras and Hunters would still be used alongside the new aircraft). On 19 October 1971 the four aircraft were ferried to Rhodesia, the crews having trained for the last six months in South Africa. Delivered in SAAF blue but without insignia the aircraft were immediately repainted in RhAF camo.

Kit parts

DSCF0136.jpg

DSCF0134.jpg

DSCF0135.jpg

Wayne

Edited by wkennerley

Hi Daniel, nope its just a heat of the moment rant at this kit, the side panels are not wide enough for the instrument panel decals! There was a bit of flash and the plastic is rubbery a bit like the old airfix figures (though not as bad). I am sure it will make into a nice plane in the end.

Wayne

Edited by wkennerley

dont tell me how bad the kit is i have 2 of them in loine for the bucc GB!!!!

They are probably not that bad, just to me they are!! The fit is not very good on some items esp the rocket pods, the main pod is a smaller diameter than the head that fits on the front end for instance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...