BAe Systems Tempest FGR.1

borz666

Well here's my little entry idea:

"Its 2015, five years ago the MOD realised in their contract for the F35 once the price had risen too far they we eligible to back out of the deal.

With the newly reinstated FAA getting the SuperBug ( a nod to Hovis there!) and the Harriers and Tornado's at the end of thier life, they needed some more aircraft.

What with actions rapidly spiraling in the far east the RAF simply didn't have enough Typhoons and couldn't afford to buy them in the numbers required.

A brief was proposed that what the UK needed was a smaller lighter multi role fighter much like the F-16, but with jobs in the UK at an all time low the government wanted to the aircraft to built in the UK and it had to be CHEAP!

Around 30 years ago after the F20 tigershark flopped, and Northrop reeling from the costs. BAe, in private, bought all designs and tooling relating to the craft and were put into storage.

BAe quickly put forward the design, what with pretty much all tooling and flight testing of the airframe already proven, it could be put into testing the new avionics and weapons systems within 1 year and full service in 2 years.

And so the Northrop F-20 Tigershark was reborn: The BAe Cyclone FGR.1. Externaly almost identical, with tweaks for stealth here and there and fitted with a EJ200 as opposed to the original GE unit.

Internaly the avoinics and cockpit will be almost identical to the Typhoon so pilots can transition from one to the other with ease. (also providing cheaper training platform for the Typhoon!).

So we have a aircraft smaller, lighter (45%) with interchagable avionics and engines of existing service aircraft, in turn shortening maintenance and flight conversion times and saving costs all round!

Oh yeah, and the performance is pretty sharp too! "

"UPDATE" Government has now changed decided to honour the typhoons sister plane during WW2 they have renamed her: the Tempest.

I know there are some holes in there but hey!

Chris

Edited by borz666

Daz,

Someone posted banners in the original thread. Follow the link in my signature, THEN from that thread there is a link to the original thread! Hope that works.

Dan

And so the Northrop F-20 Tigershark was reborn: The BAe Cyclone FGR.1. Externaly almost identical, with tweaks for stealth here and there and fitted with a EJ200 as opposed to the original GE unit.

Chris

What has the real ring of authenticity about this story is that the powers that be, faced with the massive challenge of naming the only new combat aircraft for at least a decade, come up with the inspired idea of naming it after a cleaning product. Could have been worse: Febreze?

Nick

I like the background, and remember the Tigershark being advertised in Filght. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well with less than a week to go, between nappys and bottles I've made a start!!!!!!!!!

I belive I saw someone else doinf some similar stuff to myself to this so apologies if I have copied or repeated whats happening....

first up the pit:

Added a third MFD to bring it in line with the Typhoon:

002-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

I have increased the wing area so she has a bit more lifting power, and also the horizontal stabs for more control:

018.jpg

017.jpg

Will take some more shots once she's in primer!

Chris

Here it is all primered up with some teeth for show!

I've used the Revell Typhoon closed nozzle and a Rafale "area rule" gas bag for the centerline.

Shooty stuff from tamiya and hasegawa.

001-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Cheers fellas!

Gunze Barley Grey on the Fuse' and Medium sea grey on the wings!

oh............... and a black tail???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

001-3.jpg

Laters chaps!!!

Chris

Thank you for the most kind words...............

SOOO close now I can taste the end!! not much left to say but:

Tiger!!! Tiger!!!

007-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

Should be able to stick the proverbial fork in this one tomorrow.

Chris