• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 dambuster

dambuster

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

From the Aeroplane Spotter, 14 Nov 1944.

We have been supplied these pictures by a correspondent who obtained them from a source inside the RAF. Of poor quality they appear to substantiate the rumours that have persisted since October about a new variant of the Spitfire powered by an as yet unidentified engine. The last photograph is most interesting as it appears to confirm that a new 'thrust compression' engine has been developed that does not require a propellor to act upon the air. Note what appears to be a large exhaust pipe on the side of the fuselage, well back from where a normal piston engine would exhaust. The characteristic underwing radiators and underfuselage carbouretter housing of the Spitfire are also missing, which leads to the conclusion that the new engine is air cooled and has some direct form of fuel injection. It is believed that the propellor that can be seen fitted in the initial photographs is non-functioning and is removed before flight. Its purpose may be to make the aircraft appear to a casual observer the same as all other Spitfire variants. The exacy unit that operates this aircraft is unknown, but sources suggest that it has been newly formed and may be No 629 Squadron. Code letters appear to be 'XL', which have previousy been allocated to non-operational units; again a possible disguise as to the true purpose of the Squadron.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Peter

#42 Seahawk

Seahawk

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

From the Aeroplane Spotter, 14 Nov 1944.

We have been supplied these pictures by a correspondent who obtained them from a source inside the RAF. Of poor quality they appear to substantiate the rumours that have persisted since October about a new variant of the Spitfire powered by an as yet unidentified engine. The last photograph is most interesting as it appears to confirm that a new 'thrust compression' engine has been developed that does not require a propellor to act upon the air. Note what appears to be a large exhaust pipe on the side of the fuselage, well back from where a normal piston engine would exhaust. The characteristic underwing radiators and underfuselage carbouretter housing of the Spitfire are also missing, which leads to the conclusion that the new engine is air cooled and has some direct form of fuel injection. It is believed that the propellor that can be seen fitted in the initial photographs is non-functioning and is removed before flight. Its purpose may be to make the aircraft appear to a casual observer the same as all other Spitfire variants. The exacy unit that operates this aircraft is unknown, but sources suggest that it has been newly formed and may be No 629 Squadron. Code letters appear to be 'XL', which have previousy been allocated to non-operational units; again a possible disguise as to the true purpose of the Squadron.

Peter

There's something fishy about this: I can't find this article anywhere in my 16 (not 14) Nov 1944 copy of "Aeroplane Spotter".

#43 dambuster

dambuster

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

There's something fishy about this: I can't find this article anywhere in my 16 (not 14) Nov 1944 copy of "Aeroplane Spotter".

Following publication of this article the security services quickly clamped down on the story. Most copies of the Aeroplane Spotter dated 14 Nov 1944 were destroyed, and a censored issue was quickly published on the 16th. :closedeyes:

Peter

Edited by dambuster, 03 October 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#44 Col.

Col.

Currently obsessed with Hawker Hunters

• Members
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:22 AM

Yes very good. Now stop teasing us and lets see some proper photos! ;)

#45 Deanflyer

Deanflyer

I've never taken off in a glider-but I've landed a few

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Looking strangely plausible, Peter. This is what Whiffery is all about - lots of putty and sanding, and if it doesn't fit, engineer a solution. I like the idea of fitting a fake prop for misdirectional purposes, very wartime MoD. Personally I think I'd mount the prop on permanently and call it a turboprop Spitfire!

I love your attention to detail such as removing the underwing radiators, and in that spirit, one or two comments if I may - the horizontal bar across the intake was only on the Meteor because it was the leading edge wing spar, and wouldn't be needed in your installation. All it would do is serve as an impedance to the intake airflow. Also your hot jet exhaust gases would do nasty things to the thin ally of the Spit's fuselage - are you intending to fit some sort of deflection plates there, as seen on the Seahawk and the Harrier for instance? Not intended as criticism, but I can see you're putting a lot of work into this and if something doesn't ring true you might want to change it.

Really looking forward to seeing the full colour rollout - Kodachrome was available in 1944 you know!

Cheers,
Dean

#46 dambuster

dambuster

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the comments. Initially I omitted the horizontal bar in the intakes but then I decided that it would be necessary in the real aircraft to provide some additional structural support for the engine. Regarding deflection plates - this too had occurred to me - at one point I considered adding a strip of reinforcing material along the exterior of the fuselage and leaving it natural metal to act as a form of heat shield. Who knows, maybe the Supermarine engineers are even now working on some modifications......

Peter

Looking strangely plausible, Peter. This is what Whiffery is all about - lots of putty and sanding, and if it doesn't fit, engineer a solution. I like the idea of fitting a fake prop for misdirectional purposes, very wartime MoD. Personally I think I'd mount the prop on permanently and call it a turboprop Spitfire!

I love your attention to detail such as removing the underwing radiators, and in that spirit, one or two comments if I may - the horizontal bar across the intake was only on the Meteor because it was the leading edge wing spar, and wouldn't be needed in your installation. All it would do is serve as an impedance to the intake airflow. Also your hot jet exhaust gases would do nasty things to the thin ally of the Spit's fuselage - are you intending to fit some sort of deflection plates there, as seen on the Seahawk and the Harrier for instance? Not intended as criticism, but I can see you're putting a lot of work into this and if something doesn't ring true you might want to change it.

Really looking forward to seeing the full colour rollout - Kodachrome was available in 1944 you know!

Cheers,
Dean

#47 pte1643

pte1643

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

Someone asked how the jet thrust would work:

Posted Image

I wouldn't like to be the ground crew kneeling on the wing when the pilot started that up. :lol:

#48 benskipper

benskipper

Established Member

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

I wouldn't like to be the ground crew kneeling on the wing when the pilot started that up.

Blue Jobs always had it easy...

Edited by benskipper, 09 October 2010 - 06:26 AM.

#49 Troy Smith

Troy Smith

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:31 PM

. I like the idea of fitting a fake prop for misdirectional purposes, very wartime MoD.

the USAAF actually did this with the P-59 Airacomet for those very reasons.

Posted Image

Posted Image

cheers
T

#50 dambuster

dambuster

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

OK - gone as far as I want to with this one. To recap - Academy Spitfire XIVe fuselage, Airfix Seafire FR47 Wings, AMT Meteor engine cowlings, Tamiya Meteor F1 engine, finished in Xtracrylix with assorted decals.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With its stablemate

Posted Image

Posted Image

Peter

Edited by dambuster, 16 October 2010 - 11:35 AM.

#51 TaiidanTomcat

TaiidanTomcat

Established Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

That is just flipping cool! Still managed to maintain its fine lines

#52 Deanflyer

Deanflyer

I've never taken off in a glider-but I've landed a few

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

He he he... like it. It's strange how the lines of the Spitfire haven't really changed much, just a bit more bulbous around the nose.

Nice bit of kitbashing there Peter, that's what What Ifs are all about.

Cheers,
Dean

#53 MadNurseGaz

MadNurseGaz

Careless and impatient kit assembler . . .

• Gold Member
  • 960 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

Looks really good, very plausible.....Well done, sir!

#54 daz greenwood

daz greenwood

THE LAND OF THE GYPSY TART :)

• Frozen
  • 8,450 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

I like it.

I must get my butt in gear and get my Wild Weasel F-22 done.

#55 tc2324

tc2324

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

What a great result. Well done. :partytime:

#56 Col.

Col.

Currently obsessed with Hawker Hunters

• Members
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

Grand job, looks like it quite easily could have been, a clever concept well executed.

#57 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

Luvvit, mad as a box of frogs, but just great !

Ian

Edited by Ian, 19 October 2010 - 11:05 AM.

#58 Daniel

Daniel

My other car's an EE Lightning...

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

Well executed, it looks very plausible.

Dan

Edited by Daniel, 19 October 2010 - 11:52 AM.

#59 gofy

gofy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:07 AM

That is a great looking Jet Spit!!

Gofy