Hawker Siddley Nimrod P-4A

smeds

The U.S. Navy was using the Lockheed P-3 Orion for Anti submarine warfare from 1962. These aircraft gave sterling service until 2 crashed under mysterious circumstances. After an extensive investigation, the two crashes were found to be caused by an engine mount problem. They were not strong enough to dampen a whirling mode that affected the outboard engine nacelles.

When the oscillation was transmitted to the wings they were attached to, a severe up-and-down vibration escalated until the wings would tear themselves off the aircraft.

The U.S. Navy decided to ground all P-3 Orions until an answer to this problem could be found. The Lockheed company implemented an expensive modification program, in which the engine mounts and the wing structures supporting the mounts were strengthened, and some of the wing skins replaced with thicker material. Each of the Orions built to that time was modified at Lockheed's expense at the factory. With the number of airframes requiring the modification, this would take several years to complete.

The U.S. Government now left without airbourne anti-submarine warfare assests, approached the United Kingdom with regard to the purchase of the Hawker Siddley Nimrod to fill the gap left by the grounded Orions. Talks were held and it was agreed to sell the Americans an intial batch of 100 Nimrods with more to follow. These would be designated as the Nimrod P-4 in U.S service. Hawker Siddley had plans for several upgrades for the Nimrod, which included a signal intelligence and an AEW version. The U.S.N. were very happy with the Nimrod so they decided to sell its Orions once modified to several of its allies and keep the Nimrod in service.

The U.S.N Nimrods have been on TDY in the U.K. participating in the Fincastle Trophy, which they have yet to win.

Edited by smeds

I agree with Daniel on that one, its nice to see a British solution. Will you be hanging a couple of Harpoon missiles under the wings?

I agree with Daniel on that one, its nice to see a British solution. Will you be hanging a couple of Harpoon missiles under the wings?

Yeah, had planned to do just that.

Just need to decide on the scheme - high or low viz !!

smeds

Some progress

Not doing to much in the cockpit as not much can be seen through the windscreen

IMG_1608.jpg

CopyofIMG_1609.jpg

Blanked off the APU with scrap card

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

Fuselage all buttoned up

IMG_1604.jpg

Cheers

smeds

Edited by smeds

Yeah, had planned to do just that.

Just need to decide on the scheme - high or low viz !!

smeds

Smeds;

There are a lot very colorful hi-viz schemes but to me the "badness" of the plane really shows in the low viz. This could be interesting.

Thanx,

Carl

• 2 weeks later...
Looks good so far, did you manage to get some decals for it?

One question from a curious mind: if it was a US operated machine would it have a boom receptecle instead as or as well as a refuelling probe?

It was operated by the Navy. the Navy use the probe and drogue method of refuelling, where as the USAF use the boom/recepticle method. I do have some decals, VP-5, VP-40 and VP-50, just need to make my mind up which to use.

smeds

Edited by smeds

• 4 weeks later...

Some pics of my very recently finished Nimrod P-4A. All comments good or bad welcome. My photography skills are not up to scratch.

Appologies to mattie Bee !!

Couldnt make my mind up re finish, hi viz/low viz, so I went with the new low viz overall colour with high viz markings.

Followed Airfix instructions for the colours of the weapons

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

She's been zapped !!

IMG_1668.jpg

Cheers

smeds

Edited by smeds