New 1:48th injection Gloster Gauntlet

John Aero

• 2 months later...
Not sure how, but I managed to download into Picasa...

So here we are, half decaled. Cowling and prop not glued- just hung on for the photos. Some more detail stuff to do (windscreen, aldis and ring and bead sigts, gun barrels etc.) and the u/c. Reasonably happy with the way its going. Was going to use the Vector Mercury, but it was, of course, too big for the thick cowling (being true to scale) so have gone with Aeroclub's very acceptable white metal jobbie. Cowling mounting spider not yet done. Will save the Vector engine for a cowling-off model!

Fabric is painted with Xtracolour High Speed Silver, anodised metal panels in Alclad dark alu and polished areas (machine gun bulges, tail metal areas and gun trough lips and panel on top of nose) in Bare Metal foil. Blue is Humbrol 25 - a good match for the roundel blue. The Model Alliance decals are brilliant, thin and very easy to float off the backing and react well to micro set/sol.

Oil cooler mat is cut down from the Eduard etched set for the Gladiator - very useful as there is a lot of comonality between it and the Gauntlet

Flash was a bit strong!

P1010065.jpg

so reverted to desk top light...

P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010071.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010077.jpg

P1010078.jpg

P1010070.jpg

Have also made a start on the Blue Max Sopwith Snipe -to be done as a silver post war one from the same decal sheet. As always these kits are a lot of work but really enjoyable. Another two bay job - I must be bonkers!!!

P1010083.jpg

What a great photo build article. sold me on getting one of the models. I particularly liked the cokpit photos. Carl T :speak_cool:

Thought you might like a look at some early test shots of the all new Gauntlet. The parts haven't been cleaned up or glued together,(except for the cockpit parts).

John

Gauntlettestshots015.jpg

Gauntlettestshots010.jpg

What happened to the photos, on my monitor the photos have been removed. Thankfully the construction ones are still there. :analintruder: