Fleet Air Arm Super Hornet FA1

hovis

Just a quick update, progress has been held up the last couple of weeks due to life treating me like s*** yet again.

Hopefully I'll be back in a few weeks to continue this build, I'm glad I have it to focus on.

Just a quick update, progress has been held up the last couple of weeks due to life treating me like s*** yet again.

Hopefully I'll be back in a few weeks to continue this build, I'm glad I have it to focus on.

Hovis my friend thats a poor excuse......... get fondling that plastic and your world will get better :hypnotised: Seriously, its done me a world of good, its certainly got my head out of my backside and back into the real world :yahoo:

Bexy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you know something, I could've sworn I updated this last week..... I spent a good 2 hours + on it and yet it's not here!!!!

Oh well :undecided:

Anyway, I suppose I should just show you all I'm not dead. I have been doing some (slow) work so bear with me here :)

OK, first things first, the bit the carpet monster ate, and my milliput fix as I never ever found it again. It's the white squareish air deflector, (closed btw) seen on the wing root...

022.jpg

Not a big deal anyway as I think from research that they would only ever open in flight, so it's closed. Doesn't sound like a big job, but it's the first thing I've ever made from milliput :)

Another view...

023.jpg

...and underneath...

024.jpg

Next I decided to drill out the gun on the nose. It's nothing too big or taxing but I think it's the simple wee details like this can make or break a model of any built standard.

IMAG0140-2.jpg

Just looking at that pic above, it makes it look like the gun is lopsided, well honest, it's not :)

Next I made a start on armament choice. Most of the explodey stuff that came in the kit is not applicable to a FAA aircraft, even if it is a What-if, so I dug around for some bits and pieces out of my spares box. Nothing too modern and British in there unfortunately, so I'm afraid the Royal Navy will have to refurbish some of their older stuff... :whistle:

Anyway, I have 11 potential hardpoints so I have decided to mix air-to-air with air-to-surface, and 3 fuel tanks for the hell of it... it's a long range mission it's prepared for you know...

IMAG0144.jpg

2x Sea Eagles (or Martels - I drilled wee holes down the sides) 4x 1000lb dumb bombs, 2x under wing tanks and you can see the wee scratchbuilt modifications to turn single pylons into double bomb carriers :)

A closer look -

IMAG0143-1.jpg

It's ok, it's back :S

Anyway

So, lick of paint....

IMAG0146.jpg

And underneath...

IMAG0147.jpg

I'm well chuffed with the initial paintwork, I used my brand new Badger brush, first pre-shading in EDSG before giving a couple of light wafts of DSG, which is the colour I;ve decided on for this airframe.

I'm going for the DSG with Type B blue/red roundels which I think looks well hard. As for the serials, I don't have much white lettering lying about so I think I'll print myself out a selection in that lovely pale bluey-green used on the FAA Buccaneers. All I have to do now is match the colour, so if anybody has any RGB codes preferably for this shade, I'd be most chuffed.

My attempts so far, one's too pale blue and the other's too sky....

IMAG0149.jpg

Ignore the serial number btw, I was trying to match up the font and colour using the TSR-2 serials by eye....

BL-755s, withdrawn from use in 2007/08.... hmmmmm

OK, what if we started using them again? That's my way round it and I'm sticking with it :)

Well mate,I do have a couple of 1/48 Hornet twin store carriers from the old Monogram Blue Angels Hornet & a sh1tload of spare bombs if you want them,and as you're not too far from me...What area of Belshaft do you live in?

That, sir, is mighty kind of you.... unfortunately this build is 1/72 (believe it or not!)

Just for the record anyway, I'm up at the foot of the Cavehill. Do you live in the 'dee still? I got it into my head somehow that you were off at some godforsaken tonka base somewhere... :drink:

That, sir, is mighty kind of you.... unfortunately this build is 1/72 (believe it or not!)

Just for the record anyway, I'm up at the foot of the Cavehill. Do you live in the 'dee still? I got it into my head somehow that you were off at some godforsaken tonka base somewhere... :drink:

Nope,still in the Dee....

OK, just a quick progress report....

Decalling started and good news Shar2, you win, I chose 800 sqn in the end :thumbsup2:

Anyway, as things stand...

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

I\'m not too happy with the serial and \'Royal Navy\', I think they came out wayyyy too dark. They\'re my first ever printed decals for the record....

I\'ll see what I feel like :S

Edited by hovis

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I suppose I should get round to updating this again.

I've just about finished the build so I'll just post a few pics to see if I can show various stages of weathering, as for the first time I used oil paints.

See what you think anyway....

Wheels on...

IMAG0214.jpg

Then a few goings over with Promodeller dark, and W&N burnt umber, which I think looks really well for a first attempt :)

IMAG0219.jpg

Notice the couple of newer cleaner panels? Lots of firsts for me on this model.

Explodey things added... I really hate doing ordinance btw, I dunno why but I just never seem to give them as much care as the plane itself.

IMAG0222.jpg

'If only my wife was as dirty as this undercarriage....'

IMAG0224.jpg

I know that FAA aircraft are usually kept quite clean, but this is during a heavy period of war you have to understand, round the clock missions, tired crew etc...

You might notice the length of paperclip stuck into the centre pylon, the fuel tank broke off a bit too easily so this seemed the sensible thing to do. Another first for me btw, and something I might do for every pylon in future.

IMAG0225.jpg