Nieuport 17

Madmonk

Hope you don't mond me joining the GB this late but last weekend I picked up an Eduard kit whilst in York.

While I wait for some paints for the F16 I'm building I thought I would see if this was really a "weekend" kit.

Box

IMG_0768.jpg

Contents

IMG_0771.jpg

Started on the cockpit floor and insides, painted using Andrea & Gamesworkshop paints. Seat drilled out after finding refs on interweb.

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

Two halves stuck together, painting and more tomorrow.

Cheers,

Warren

Ollie,

You're the GB host and if 2 weeks before the end date it too late to enter a build so be it, personally doesn't seem fair as other GBs have allowed this.

Could someone move this thread and I will complete it outside of the GB.

Cheers,

Warren

Warren, this is a great little kit and only took me a few days, be glad to see what you can do with her.

There is no hard and fast rules, but my feeling is if you can enter a build 1minute before the cut off and get it finished along with a build thread and gallery pics then it's fin by me.

Thanks for that Mish will continue posting, got main airframe, lower wing and tail plane together. Ready for priming this afternoon. Will post some picks later, when I can get the kids off the PC!

Update of progress today.

Airframe closed, not much of cockpit visible now.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Prop painted & varnished

IMG_0778.jpg

Primed before going shopping!

103_6953.jpg

Aluminium applied after shopping!

103_6954.jpg

Ancillaries to paint this evening and decals in morning, then assenbly & rigging.

thanks for stopping by.

Warren

Warren,

Great looking build so far mate, I like the finish on the prop. :clap:

What paint did you use for the aluminium?

Cheers

Deacon

Mish,

Let them come in their anoraked uniforms!! When I opened the instructions and saw the aluminium paint scheme I was sceptical so I checked on the interweb and there are plenty of references to the aluminium paint scheme.

Found several descriptions stating airframe painted aluminium, plus photos although many are of restored craft.

Deacon, I used Vallejo model air steel on the airframe and Andrea Miniatures and Revell Aquas on the prop.

Looking good Warren, but look out for the colour police, I was criticised for painting mine silver. apparently is should be a doped linen colour, but I like the dull silver colour.

Someone was having a lend of you. The great majority of Nie-17s were aluminium doped, so should be a fairly glossy painted aluminium finish.

Shane

Got decals on this morning whilst everyone else was asleep!

103_6956.jpg

Will have to leave it for a couple of hours as the dog has picked up something in it's ear while out for a walk so a trip to the vets, with a £109 out of hours charge but the poor thing is in some discomfort and it won't wait till tomorrow.

Report in later with further up date on Nieuport and Archie the Cocker!!

Warren

Looks good Warren.

Not wishing to hijack your build thread but this is what was said about mine.

This is looking real food. real good. Just a little to much on the silverside for me. Brings back memories fronm the past.

My Nieuport 17

Just little to much on the silver side, it was doped, not dreed in alu.But still I´m impressed off this build

Not a problem Mish, the link will help with weathering.

Had to leave Archie at the vets as he had a grass seed buried in his ear canal so has to be sedated to remove it, should be able to collect him about 3.00pm

Thanks for that vB, they were anthracite, now black so will repaint them pinky grey.

Have been amazed at the level of help and encouragement from everyone over the weekend, thanks, it's much appreciated.

Have to collect Archie from the vets at 4 so will plough on for a while

Guys,

Afraid that time, family life and a heavily sedated dog has got the better of me, not to mention the frustration of a top wing that will not sit square, had to put the 17 down before it went back in the box and up in the attic.

I was enjoying this build, still am to be honest but it needs time for things to set properly rather than rushing it. Will post a pic tomorrow first thing then see what tomorrow evening brings.

Thanks again for looking and helping.

Warren

Photo as promised.

103_6958.jpg

Mish, how do you go about the rigging, I am using black cotton which I guess will be wrong but all I had, how doyou tighten it up and attach it to the plane. Am I better off attaching the wing first then adding rigging.

Thanks,

Warren