Westland Wyvern

Hi,

This my first in progress pics thread here at Britmodeller. So I thought I should start off with a British plane. Britmodeller...British plane... I am so smart.... how do I think of these things :undecided::confused: Sorry. I am building the Trumpeter 48 scale Westland Wyvern with the Pavla cockpit set. I decided to use the Trumpeter instrument panel on the Pavla set because the resin set doesn't have much extra detail . The rest of the cockpit was painted without any references. Hopefully I did alright.

I am still working on the instrument panel. Hoping in a couple of days to have it done. Next on the list to do will be the ejection seat.

All comments welcome.

Wayne Beattie :rolleyes:

wyvern2.jpg

wyvern1.jpg

wyvern3.jpg

Looks ok to me... it should be perhaps a little darker, but the pit opening's so small, it'll probably seem darker once the fuselage is closed up. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

A British plane on Britmodeller.... :o Whatever next?!?!? :lol:

I'd put the Wyvern on the same scale as the Skyshark... beautiful-ugly ^_^

Thanks Mike, I actually added some black to the base color that I used. I didn't want it too dark because once it's all buttoned up I want people to be able to see into the cockpit.

I have one side of the sidewalls glued on. When I test fitted the cockpit I realize I had to take some plastic off the kit. Here is a pic with the sidewall on and the instrument panel. It's not totally painted. Still have to do a couple of buttons. Anyone have any suggestions for the instrument panel?

Thanks for looking and all comment welcome.

Wayne Beattie

wyvern4.jpg

wyvern5.jpg

The three IP sections should be black... a drybrush with white should make all the detail pop...

I put the Eduard pre-painted PE set in mine before I stuck it back in the cupboard for a while, which looked something along these lines:

cockpit.jpg

seat.jpg

Don't be tempted by the Eduard undercarriage set, as it's a total swine to do, with way too little thought put into designing the spars... literally balancing tiny pieces of PE on the edges of other parts. Think I glued every piece in at least 3 times before I got them all to stick at the same time :S

undercarriage.jpg

Nice work Mike,

I painted my IP that way because I read the article in Model Airplane International (March 2007 issue) and the guy who built the Wyvern did his IP that way. Black center panel and grey outer edges. Don't even mention photoetched stuff to me. :suicide: We do not agree. :hmmm: If I can find a resin detail set I will get that. Photo-etch forget it. Wish I could but I just ruin everything I try.

Yours looks great so far.

Wayne

Yours looks great so far.

Thanks ;) I know what you mean about PE. These days I check the instructions online before I buy PE, as some of it is really more trouble than it's worth. I wasn't too happy with the bang-seat, so got a Pavla resin one... it was just too chunky, even with a few extra bits of PE attached. The foot rests are nice, but very very flimsy, and would probably never be seen once installed.

My other Wyvern (the Dynavector vacform) had a Compass Rose resin pit installed, and that seems to be the most detailed option, even including the Pavla one... If you can still get hold of them (they were rare when i bought mine), I wonder whether they could be coaxed into fitting the Trumpy kit? :hmmm:

I've never heard of Compass Rose. It must be British. The Dynavector kit is what got me interested in the Wyvern. A modeler brought one to a local contest a long time ago and I was hook on the plane ever since. When CA announced they were making one I tried to get one but couldn't get my hands on one. Then I saw the Trumpeter kit at a hobby shop in Halifax, Nova Scotia at a fair price so I grabbed it.

I am going to repaint the IP all black. I don't think I did a good job painting it the first time. I'll just have to be careful with the acetate instruments already in place.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Beattie

Hi,

Compass Rose was/is a US based company that produced the resin - they used to have a website. I have a rather large collection of Wyverns (but none finished), including 2 x Dynavector, 2 x Classic Airframe and now 2 x Trumpeter including 2 x Compass Rose Interior and Exterior sets, 2 x Goffy Models Wyvern sets and 2 x Pavla sets. IMHO the Goffy set is the best of all three.

Regards,

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since I have posted anything. I haven't worked on the Wyvern for a bit. I finally got the fuselage together. I am working on the wings. The joint between the outside panel and inside wing is a bit of a :tapedshut: Sorry. I can't use that language here. :undecided::analintruder: Will post as soon as more work is done.

Wayne Beattie

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Wayne Beattie