My Jedi Wood tricks

Bobs_Buckles

Hello all,

I spent some time today trying my hand at carving my own propeller for my up (and slowly) coming Pfalz DIII.

Earlier in the week I had glued (with PVA glue) and clamped 7 layers or veneer is easy to work blocks. I gave them 2 days to dry.

My first attempt was binned due to the pitch of the propeller being way out of bonk. My second go at it (see pictures) was showing signs of baring fruits.

I need two things to progress onto a third attempt. A new supplier of hardwood veneer, any ideas in this department? And the best wood glue for laminating. I need a clue that when sanded doesn't leave a white mark... Help appreciated in both areas would be very very nice. :)

prop1.jpg

propside.jpg

backprop.jpg

What do you think?

Am I carving up the wrong tree :analintruder:

Bobby Wood

Yes - that is not bad at all.

Glues - I remember when building the flyng models the PVA glues seemed to dry transparent. Dare I suggest you may have got hold of a "cheap" variety? Otherwise - as it does not need to be that strong a joint try Formula 560 which I got from Little Cars to stick my canopies etc. (which it does quite well) and drys transparent - with no gooey joint. Otherwise what about balsa cement or Bostick? I seem to recall Littel Cars do other glues and so enquiry may reveal just what you are after. As to the Veneers I amy have some bits (somewhere) that would be of use - but quite thin - about 1mm at most - presumably you only want two contrasting colours - say mahogany and something like ash or sycamore? Let me know then, Bob the Prop.

PS You do like making life hard for yourself do you not??

David.

David,

You diamond!

I wouldn't mind trying a weeee bit of your veneer. 1mm sounds ok and yes, you are right about the coloration, one dark one light.

The veneer I've been using seems to be very old and rather brittle.

Name your price, dear boy!

Bob the Prop

"You do like making life hard for yourself do you not??"

P.S. I don't see it that way, mate. I will try anything once (twice on this occasion) when it comes to new methods. Plus, a real wooden prop would look superb on the Pfalz.

Edited by Bobs_Buckles

I sense.... the force is strong in this one... go far he will...

Well done young padawan! In your third attempt I see you facing your trials, and becoming a great master... but beware the dark side...

Anyway, enough of the Jedi crap... that's absolutely brilliant Bob. Really looks good! :goodjob:

Karl.

How about superglue? As long as you've got halfway decent wood it should work out ok, and you won't have to wait for two days to find out!

Jen.

Why on earth would he need half-decent wood to make a propeller? :sick:

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

Wood from trees, silly billy.

Bob Von Wood

Ooooooooohhhh... :unsure: my mistake (as people have started to say for no apparent reason, and with no reference to any grammar books wot I dun know about)

You'll have to excuse the children Jen, mother should have slapped them more often when they were younger. :fraidnot:

Anyway, in a desperate attempt to drag this thread out of the gutter and back on track before Mike has to warn himself, good work there Bob :goodjob:

Why on earth would he need half-decent wood to make a propeller? :sick:

You are a sick man.....

BTW- how are the callouses?

Dare I shake your hand at the Nationals- will it fall off? Maybe I ought to post a link to the Thriller video just to warn people.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

Wood from trees, silly billy.

Bob Von Wood

Bob- what came first- the Avatar- or the wood...?

You are a sick man.....

BTW- how are the callouses?

Dare I shake your hand at the Nationals- will it fall off? Maybe I ought to post a link to the Thriller video just to warn people.

Bob- what came first- the Avatar- or the wood...?

Hi there!

Why don't you just try balsa wood, coat it with superglue to reinforce it, sandpaper it to smooth it, and just paint it? I know what you're trying to do, but if you're having too many problems, balsa wood (so(too) easy to carve) might be the trick. That's what i did for a 1/28 fokker Dr1 prop.

http://www.master194.com/forumww1/viewtopi...98&start=15

Ciao

Iwik

And the best wood glue for laminating.

You need some stuf which goes by the name of Cascamite or Resinmite. You can get it from pukka bulder's merchants, but I can't recall seeing it at a DIY megastore. You will need to clamp the laminates together tightly whilst it sets.

peebeep

Edited by peebeep

You need some stuf which goes by the name of Cascamite or Resinmite. You can get it from pukka bulder's merchants, but I can't recall seeing it at a DIY megastore. You will need to clamp the laminates together tightly whilst it sets.

peebeep

Cascamite is good stuff but a bit of over kill for this task. I used ordinary evo-stick wood glue on my little Dr. 1 propeller. It sanded fine and doesn't show up, though of course I am working at a proper scale ;)

pic_4.jpg

cheers

Grant

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob,

As Jen suggested, super glue works well an aternative to PVA wood glues, the thicker, the better (just make sure that you use plenty of glue, work fairly quckly, and clamp the verniers well - they will slide around somewhat untill the excess glue is squeezed out...and try not to glue your fingers together too much! :lol:) . It also makes the wood glass smooth if smothered onto the surface of the wood and sanded.

HTH

Good luck

Derek

Hi Bob,

As Jen suggested, super glue works well an aternative to PVA wood glues, the thicker, the better (just make sure that you use plenty of glue, work fairly quckly, and clamp the verniers well - they will slide around somewhat untill the excess glue is squeezed out...and try not to glue your fingers together too much! :lol:) . It also makes the wood glass smooth if smothered onto the surface of the wood and sanded.

HTH

Good luck

Derek

Derek,

Cheers for the info.

I will give that method a try.

Regards.

Bob Von Prop