DH88 Comet

dylan the rabbit

Having seen the old girl at Shuttlewurf last month, I'm inspired to add one to the stash and maybe get round to building it in, ooooh, the next ten years or so.

Aside from trawling e-bay for the Airfix offering, are there any other options apart from the ridiculously expensive (132 QUID) Aerotech kit?

I thankyou.

Nick

Having seen the old girl at Shuttlewurf last month, I'm inspired to add one to the stash and maybe get round to building it in, ooooh, the next ten years or so.

Aside from trawling e-bay for the Airfix offering, are there any other options apart from the ridiculously expensive (132 QUID) Aerotech kit?

I thankyou.

Nick

Got Heritage one Black Magic G-ACSP Mind you its the 48th scale kit

Edited by Terry McGrady

it has just been revamped and is receiving excellent reviews, ernie lee has just finished a review kit for sam magazine.....must be good if it got him away from 1:72.....lol

You're right. They both look gawgeous...

Would like to get a bit of resin experience under my belt from some of the kit bits in my stash first before tackling a full resin kit, but I see an order being placed in the not to distant future.

Cheers,

Nick

You're right. They both look gawgeous...

Would like to get a bit of resin experience under my belt from some of the kit bits in my stash first before tackling a full resin kit, but I see an order being placed in the not to distant future.

Cheers,

Nick

the most accurate one in 1:72 came free in a kellogs pack, strangely enough my master guy now has one and is using it as a base line for our new little kit.... :smartass:

the most accurate one in 1:72 came free in a kellogs pack, strangely enough my master guy now has one and is using it as a base line for our new little kit.... :smartass:

Bet there wasn't many cornflakes in that packet by the time all the plastic was shoved in there!

Might even have convinced me to buy the stuff for a free DH88 :sick:

My favourite plane.

Airfix_DH88_002_027.jpg

Grosvenor_House.jpg = Airfix OOB

Green_Un.jpg = Airfix + Whirlybird Resin Pit and decals

Black_Magic.jpg = Airfix + Whirlybird Resin Pit and decals

Currently have 2 x 1/48 Heritage Black Magic's (old and new releases) and the 1/32 Aerotech in the stash

Edited by Andy Mullen

I joined britmodeller today just so I could comment on this topic!

The DH88 is my favourite plane too. I was very privileged to see Grosvenor House fly from Hatfield at one of their last open days, quite a few years ago now. Also saw it flying from Mildenhall in 87 iirc. Special.

For me it all started when I got the one in the Kelloggs cereal. I remember putting it together in the back of a moving car sometime in the 70s. I had to buy the Aerotech kit when it came out - yes it is ridiculously expensive, but it's lovely. Best 132 quid I ever spent. I only wish I could have bought another two so I could use all three decal options!

Speaking of decals, if anyone's building a 72nd one Heritage do the decals for Grosvenor House.

By the way, does anyone have contact details for Whirlybird? I'd love to get their Comet decals and bits.

The DH88 is my favourite plane too. I was very privileged to see Grosvenor House fly from Hatfield at one of their last open days, quite a few years ago now. Also saw it flying from Mildenhall in 87 iirc. Special.

For me it all started when I got the one in the Kelloggs cereal. I remember putting it together in the back of a moving car sometime in the 70s. I had to buy the Aerotech kit when it came out - yes it is ridiculously expensive, but it's lovely. Best 132 quid I ever spent. I only wish I could have bought another two so I could use all three decal options!

Speaking of decals, if anyone's building a 72nd one Heritage do the decals for Grosvenor House.

By the way, does anyone have contact details for Whirlybird? I'd love to get their Comet decals and bits.

whirlybird very hard to contact, heritage also have 1:72 gros hse and black magic decals...mine are waterslide unlike alps printed whirlybird!

rgds ian

:welcome: to the nuthouse

• 5 weeks later...

Don't know how I missed this thread. Yes it is small but the Airfix kit with a bit of scratching can be made into something good, and once the nose is corrected at least it looks like a Comet as well. If I remember rightly getting the rad intakes more accurate was a bit of a pig.

I've been thinking about the Heritage kit for a while now, but to date have not tried a full resin kit and still have nightmares about my attempted but failed Czech York conversion.

The last Frog DH88 I put together had a very bad wing warp and got consigned to the shelf until it was lost in a recent house move :(

I could do with another 4 Comets. The plan is to do G-ACSS as Salazar, the all white K5084 and The Orphan finished off by another Grosvenor House as she sits with all the new bits at Old Warden.

One day, one day.

Don't know how I missed this thread. Yes it is small but the Airfix kit with a bit of scratching can be made into something good, and once the nose is corrected at least it looks like a Comet as well. If I remember rightly getting the rad intakes more accurate was a bit of a pig.

I've been thinking about the Heritage kit for a while now, but to date have not tried a full resin kit and still have nightmares about my attempted but failed Czech York conversion.

The last Frog DH88 I put together had a very bad wing warp and got consigned to the shelf until it was lost in a recent house move :(

I could do with another 4 Comets. The plan is to do G-ACSS as Salazar, the all white K5084 and The Orphan finished off by another Grosvenor House as she sits with all the new bits at Old Warden.

One day, one day.

K 5084 was silver, not white.

it was also Black Magic (G-ACSP) not G-ACSS that became Salazar. I'm blaming being tired and fat fingers for that mistake!

The only photo I have of K5084 shows a bright sheen to her and looks more white then silver. I found in the past references to both silver and white. I asked someone working on SS at Old Warden and he didn't know for sure but seemed to think she was white.