Keef's attempt - Aer Lingus Connie

keefr22

...I guess that is to paint round leaving the lights.

That's my guess too Garry. I had a quick look at some pics on A.net & that's what it looks like. I gave the inside of the nose a quick coat of Mithral Silver before sticking it on, hopefully that'll give the effect of the reflectors in the lenses.

K

LMAO!!!!!!

"I'm Connie, fly me"

er....keeping it kind of on topic, people do go all misty-eyed over certain aircraft and the constellation is one of them.

Personally I dont find it that attractive to look at.

Still got some models to build tho...:)

keep going keef!!!

LMAO!!!!!!

"I'm Connie, fly me"

er....keeping it kind of on topic, people do go all misty-eyed over certain aircraft and the constellation is one of them.

Personally I dont find it that attractive to look at.

Still got some models to build tho...:)

keep going keef!!!

Cheers Kev - I have to admit I feel much the same about the Connie - I don't find it the most attractive airliner ever, but it has a certain character that I like!

Keef

yeah I agree there, but I see/read/hear so many people going "AAAAHHHHHH" at th4e sight of one....

but it does make a nice model - like I said....I have some to build....

one day....

• 2 weeks later...

OK, been plodding on with her over the last week or so. Now, I don't know if I was being particularly cack-handed building her, but I was surprised at the amount of filler needed for a new, 'state of the art' injection moulded kit! I've used more green stuff on this than the last few limited runs I've built! Anyway, this is what she looked like an hour ago, before I re-masked the cockpit windows & nose light. She was then squirted with some Tamiya fine surface grey primer straight from the rattle can, which led to a quick evacuation of the model room as the stuff stinks to high heaven!! So, it'll have to wait until the chemical cloud has subsided tomorrow before I can check how much more remedial work is needed before I can start on the top coats. Anyway, airframe together, pre-primer;

119.jpg

118.jpg

117-1.jpg

See ya

Keef

Keef,

that is now really starting to come along nicely.

I really like the look of the Revell engines.

I have always had a soft spot for the Connie's curves, mainly because it was the 1st aircraft I ever flew on.

I think a Pan Am 727 which hasn't been washed since it left Renton 22 years ago is the thing that would float Kev1n's boat

TIC

Graeme

Edited by Graeme H

Thanks guys!

The noxious primer cloud had finally dissapated this morning, & on inspection there were some expected blemishes. And some major unexpected ones! As to the former, I was expecting to have to do some more work on the wing roots & that was right, & I wasn't too surprised to have to do a little more on the fuselage join lines. What did surprise me was that the primer exposed some major sinkage between the panel lines on the horizontal stabilizers. It looks almost like Revell tried to give it the stabs a stressed skin effect. If they did they failed miserably! So I'm wondering if I've got a bit of a duff moulding, which may also account for some of the fit problems? I'm sure it wasn't just me.....!!! :whistle:

Anyway, this is the best pic of the sinkage on the stabs that I could get - it's the dark patches (looking like post-shading!) between the panel lines on the primer;

004-Copy.jpg

And this is her after first primer coat remedial work;

004-4.jpg

001-1.jpg

And I'm a little disappointed by the detail Revell have put into the undercarriage legs!!! ;

003-2.jpg

Second primer coat is now on & drying. Hope to get the white on over the weekend!

All the best

Keef

Coming along nicely Keef.

....although.....having had a look at your photos, I'm not surprised you're disappointed with the lack of detail on the undercarriage legs - there doesn't seem to be any !

Besides that, they're far too long and I can't even see where (or how) you'd attach the wheels !

:analintruder:

.... (or how) you'd attach the wheels !

Thought that's what superglue was for..... :whistle::D

Got the final coat of primer on over the weekend. Was going to spray the white top this weekend, but couldn't be ar*ed to get the airbrush out!

K

Thanks all, need all the encouragement I can get with this one for some reason!

At this rate you'll be able to build a Buccaneer after all!

Not this year Dave! Still trying to get on with that d*mn F-16 for our 'mini' gb in the club at the moment. Not getting very far with that either!!

K

Not this year Dave! Still trying to get on with that d*mn F-16 for our 'mini' gb in the club at the moment. Not getting very far with that either!!

K

I thought we had plenty of time for that. What you should do is have a constant output of Spitfires which you can divert from the production line and adapt to whatever theme is required. Works for me. Mind you, I 'd have trouble shoehorning a spit into an airliner group build. Johnny Johnson reputedly delivered a load of beer after D-Day, which might count as freight.

I thought we had plenty of time for that. What you should do is have a constant output of Spitfires which you can divert from the production line and adapt to whatever theme is required. Works for me. Mind you, I 'd have trouble shoehorning a spit into an airliner group build. Johnny Johnson reputedly delivered a load of beer after D-Day, which might count as freight.

Clivey & Gav managed to persuade me it would be a good idea to build a Kinetic F-16 - has to be done for the comp before the Nats - which is only 2 months away!! And a Spit may be in-eligible for a Buccaneer GB as well!!

K

Oh bugger! I was going to sling a Martel missile under a Seafire, paint the whole thing EDSG and hope nobody noticed.

Has to worth a try!! And if someone does notice you can always stick it in the what if GB as one of the strike wing the government will be investing in for the Navy's new carriers....!!! :whistle::D

Clivey & Gav managed to persuade me it would be a good idea to build a Kinetic F-16 - has to be done for the comp before the Nats - which is only 2 months away!! And a Spit may be in-eligible for a Buccaneer GB as well!!

K

My F-16 is almost finished!!! And I've got those decals for the Czech A319!

Gav

I thought Gav was Dr S.

He is/was?! Old age catch up with you G - you forgotten who you are.....??!! :P

NMF is now done & dry on the Connie (lurching back onto topic!!) Got to pluck up the energy & mask it all off for the white now!!

And G, why not enter the GB with that Czech 'bus??!! You'll have nearly a month to get it done!!

K