Keef's attempt - Aer Lingus Connie

keefr22

Hello peeps,

Well, despite a recent aversion to taking in-progress photographs of my models which is leading me to re-consider taking part in many of the group builds I've provisionally signed up for, I really want to actually finish one of my airliner stash this year, so will hopefully manage to get this done for the GB. After much faffing about, pulling kits & decals out & then putting them away again, deciding to do something & then changing my mind, I've finally decided to go back to my original choice of the Revell Super Constellation using a Max decals sheet to do an Aer Lingus aircraft - which was one of the machines they leased from Seaboard World.

The 'obligatory box & bits' pic;

354.jpg

I'm hoping to do this as a more or less o.o.b. build, and I wanted to keep the clear windows that came in the kit. However the Max sheet has the cheatline stripes printed solid, with decal cabin windows. I did consider spraying the cheatlines, but haven't been able to come up with a really good match for the green, & the sheet also shows a different window layout form the kit which would mean more messing about, so I'll probably give in & just fill the kits windows & use the decals!

Won't be able to make any significant progress this week due to my son's uni. graduation & numerous doctor & hospital appointments, so it'll be the weekend before I can really get started - I hope!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Nice choice, Keef - looking forward to seeing this, as I have a C-121 Connie in the stash.

You've successfully got through Stage One of the group build - "Choose something".

Now for Stage Two - "Build the darned thing"....

... which I'm sure will inexorably lead to Stage Three, "Bathe in the warm approval of your peer-group" :partytime:

We'd like to welcome you aboard Mr Keef. I'm afraid that due to your late arrival, we no longer have any window seats available.

If you'd like to take some time to look at the aircraft safety card in the seat-back pocket, you'll notice there are no emergency exits on this group-build (or parachutes !), so we're looking forward to seeing your progress in photo form and I'm looking forward to seeing your Connie on the club table.

now switch off yoiur electrical goodies, buckle up and get gluin'

p.s. I have some spare Aer Lingus decals from my 720 if you need 'em :wicked:

I have one of these kits to do, but would like to fill the windows in and decal them. Where did you get your decals from, as I may put this in the pipeline to do if I can get some.

Cheers

Hi all,

Sorry for appearing to have ignorantly ignored your replies, but I've not been getting notification of replies to my own thread! Wonder how that works (or doesn't work) then!

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes (!), I still haven't managed to start the thing yet (ask Mitchem about the pressures of our club competition!), but hope to get something done in the next few days!

@woody - I got the decals from e-bay about two years ago I'm afraid. They do pop up on there occasionally though, so it may be worth your while saving a search for Max decals on there.

@mitchem - if those Aer Lingus decals really are looking for a new home, I'd be happy to provide one, as I was toying withthe idea of doing one of my 707's in that scheme. I don't know when that would be though!!

Cheers all

Keef

I must say I'm not a big airliner fan. These days they just look like long tubes with flying surfaces and engines stuck on. However, there are two I would consider building, one is the Comet and the other is the Super Constellation, so I will be watching this with interest.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, at last, I've started!

After much deliberation I finally decided that, with much heartache the clear cabin windows would have to go! I'd almost convinced myself to mask them off & mix the green colour for the stripes, ignoring the different window spacing as provided in the kit & on the Max decals, but.....when I actually fitted them, they didn't actually fit that well, as expected were very thick, & had a mould dimple in the middle of each one. So they had to go....... :(

OK, dimply ill-fitting windows 'fitted';

054.jpg

Masked off the panel line & escape hatch scribed detail;

056.jpg

& greenstuffed them;

058.jpg

Meanwhile, on the flightdeck it appears that during the protracted delay waiting for this journey to begin, Captain O'Flaherty & his crew have managed to get themselves a bit legless! ;

063.jpg

But, like the consumate professionals that they are they continue to methodically complete the pre-start checks before winding up Number 1 engine;

062.jpg

And anyway, it's a long way to New York & they'll be fine by the time they get there!!

(Please excuse the awful paintwork, these guys are only about 3mm tall - slightly smaller than your average leprechaun....!!!)

Anyway, till next time,

That's all folks...!!!

Keef

Just a small point before you get too far with this one Keith.

Captain O'Flaherty had grey hair. LOL

Nice choice of colour scheme for the rest of it though.

Chris

Not after he used the new Ginger Grecian 2000 he didn't....!!!

And hooray, I got a notification of your reply to my thread!! Thanks Chris, you broke the curse....!!! (I haven't received any notifications to previous posts in this thread, while getting ones to everything else! Mike reckoned I was cursed...!!)

K

(Please excuse the awful paintwork, these guys are only about 3mm tall - slightly smaller than your average leprechaun....!!!)

Yup - since this is at 12-foot-to-the-inch (in old money), 3mm makes them 17" tall in real life (or 43cm if you prefer the continental metrification). Definitely a shortage of Guinness in the diet, I feel......

Good progress though :)

Please tell me someone hasn't put the words "Lingus" and "Connie" next to each other.

Totally off topic, there used to be a Cessna 182 based here with the words Honey Lingers painted on the cowls noseart syle

• 2 weeks later...

Bloomin' heck that is really good painting on the crew considering the size of Connie cockpit windows, probably not a lot will be seen, maybe put in some interior lighting.

Did they come with the kit?, I don't remember seeing them, but then I don't remember a lot of things.

I know what it's like as I'm trying to paint a very little person as a baggage tug driver, for my ground services fleet, my guy will be exposed though, so I have to try to make him look a little respectable.

Graeme

Bloomin' heck that is really good painting on the crew considering the size of Connie cockpit windows, probably not a lot will be seen, maybe put in some interior lighting.

Did they come with the kit?, I don't remember seeing them, but then I don't remember a lot of things.

I know what it's like as I'm trying to paint a very little person as a baggage tug driver, for my ground services fleet, my guy will be exposed though, so I have to try to make him look a little respectable.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme. No, they didn't come with the kit, they're various Preiser groundcrew figures 'converted' into Irish aircrew!! I'll just put them in the kit to show up as various 'shapes' on the flightdeck as the final 'plan' is to put it on a small base with a couple of ground crew with a fire extinquisher standing there looking nervous as the crew prepare to start up!

I really need to make some progress on it this week....

Keef

I've never actually seen this kit

Has it got the none radar nose as an option??

Re the decals....that looks like a set I bought from Aviation Hobby Shop a few years ago....perhaps they still have some???

Garry

Hi Garry,

Yes, both noses are in the kit, the short one being moulded in clear.

Made some small progress this afternoon, got the flightdeck & crew safely ensconsed inside the fuselage which is now joined together, with the clear short nose & windscreen fitted. No pics at the mo (well, it's not very exciting anyway!) but I've run out of batteries for the camera!

Keef