Dassault MD-454 Mystere IVA (Revell 1:72)

This is a Matchbox reissue... so you can expect what a sh** kit this is going to be. Detail is minimal, there is no cockpit tub and no panel! just a seat which looks like a toilet seat. wheels and wheel bays are plain.

Panels lines are a mix of huge engraved p.lines and raised p.lines the size of a hair, & a few normal sized engraved p.lines.

revell_mystere-iva.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

Panel lines disaster

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6387.jpg

I will be doing the patroille de france one.

IMG_6388.jpg

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

Poor Mystere has spent quite a while hidden, waiting for me to build up enough guts/mood to fill and sand this little french beast. Today i spent about 4 hours filling and sanding

Ive also tried a new technique :thumbsup: , where i thinned the putty with my moms nail acetone, since putty dries very quickly & can be tough to work with. The acetone works treats, makes it very easy to spread & slows drying time. so if anyone never tried it... TRY IT!

Loads of filling. All those seams & two panel lines the size of cartruts...are now GONE.

IMG_6817.jpg

IMG_6820.jpg

Body went together very well even though it didnt include pins to help place. the wing construction was very though, especially the tail wings :x :x

IMG_6830.jpg

black lines your seeing is permanent black marker. its a technique i came up with were instead of priming with grey paint to find imperfections, i simply go over it with marker. it works :thumbsup:

IMG_6831.jpg

Coming along nicely Adrian! You might want to be a tad careful with the acetone, the plastic might not like it very much! And be wary of bleed-through of the black marker.

I have this kit myself, in a Matchbox boxing with Chinese instructions :blink: If I ever get around to it, it'll become an Israeli one.

Coming along nicely Adrian! You might want to be a tad careful with the acetone, the plastic might not like it very much! And be wary of bleed-through of the black marker.

I have this kit myself, in a Matchbox boxing with Chinese instructions :blink: If I ever get around to it, it'll become an Israeli one.

I tried putting acetone on the plastic briefly nothing hapened. it isnt 100% acetone after all. before placing the 'putty mix' i let most of the acetone dry. also as it dries the putty becomes spreadable. when its still wet the putty is almost like chewing gum.

Goodluck if you ever do it! You have no fitting pins to help lining up & the wings dont fit too well and you have huge joint gaps on the wings!

:suicide:

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

• 3 weeks later...

I painted it gloss black in prep for the metallic fuselage camo +the black reveals any blemishes which were sanded down.

IMG_6844.jpg

I used MM aluminum since silver or polished metal are too bright & over powering for a small scale! All went well & the aluminum went on with ease (for once) :)

IMG_6850.jpg

Next step is masking and painting the 3 french colours one all 4 wings and bottom :fight::(

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

Next step is masking and painting the 3 french colours one all 4 wings and bottom :fight::(

... and painting it with colour matching the decal ones (which are quite spot for once) :who-let-rip:

Yes, I know, it is not nice of me to get on teasing a fellow modeller in pain ...

Now, stop teasing and on to congrats : you did extremely well with the old matchbox kit, and that will certainly be a striker once painted ....

Cheers

Stef (#6)

• 3 weeks later...

Hopelessly fitting gear doors! Guess i cant leave them closed :(

IMG_6982.jpg

Plane masked off and sprayed its first colour..white. masking took AGES because because of the way the 3 colours wrap around the fuselage from the wing.

IMG_7026.jpg

Around 5 hrs masking the white for the blue and red paint! the tough part was the fact that the lines, between colours, had to be of the same angle, same size &...STRAIGHT!i ensured the lines were straight by looking at the wing from an angle.

IMG_7029.jpg

Im stuck trying to find the right blue paint. i was told to mix lufthans blue with white, but its coming horrible! Also i think the blue on the decals is too dark. its supposed to be lighter

IMG_7032.jpg

... and painting it with colour matching the decal ones (which are quite spot for once) :who-let-rip:

NOT REALLY! the blue on the decals is too dark! im finding it hard to make a blue to match the decals blue :poo:

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

GAHH!!!!

i simply cannot mix the correct blue colour! ive been mixing with revell lufthansa blue, white and MM blue... and it never comes right!

any idea what is the exact colour to use????? :mg::doh::wall::raincloud:

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

GAHH!!!!

i simply cannot mix the correct blue colour! ive been mixing with revell lufthansa blue, white and MM blue... and it never comes right!

any idea what is the exact colour to use????? :mg::doh::wall::raincloud:

Not really, maybe some of our French friends know. What I can suggest is to try and see if there's a shop near you that stocks vallejo. These are really aimed more at uniforms rather than airplane models, but have a huge range of blues and you might find one that looks good.

• 1 month later...

Alright

After spending too much time (almost giving up) figuring out what paints to use, what mixes to make and which is the accurate colour ... i used fiery red for the red (as instructions stated) and the bloody BLUE part was the worst part of it all. I simply couldnt mix up a good/accurate blue!

i mixed lufthansa blue and white as instructions stated and it kept coming this horrible blue colour.

I did a lot of research and it seems there is no consistent blue colour! i came across some painted dark blue and some light blue:

Dark blue

0790710.jpg

0305380.jpg

Bright blue

1489732.jpg

0872330.jpg

In between (I followed this)

1234450.jpg

********************************************************************************

I tried my best and came up with this blue. Made of MM blue and white.

Most may argue that it is innacurate? too bright, too gray or too dark?

If anyone knows better please let me know :twisted:

Im so sick and tired of this blue i am just gonna leave it as it is and finish this model :silent:

Red

IMG_7117.jpg

I follow the last 'in between' picture while mixing and got pretty close

IMG_7142.jpg

Looks better already :)

IMG_7145.jpg

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

I just bought Model Master 'French Blue'

Hope its a better match :undecided::undecided:

any ideas?

according to the ultimate paint conversion chart, the MM one you went is the only one called "french blue"... guess that is the best you can hope for. I wondered if this is painted in "official" french blue... according to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_France) the blue is REFLEX BLUE, however there is no mention in the conversion gudie for that, or if you use the RGB values does it give you anything....

by the looks of your research the french themseleves paint it different so find a blue you like and stick with it.........

SUCCESS! :D:D:D:D:D:D

I experimented with my new 'French Blue', mixing it with lufthansa blue, then white, then with all 3. And i got an exact blue shade as the decals blue. which saved me a lot of trouble because i was planning on mixing a blue shade, sticking the decals, masking over the decals and leaving the blue area bare and spraying over the blue with my new blue mix! *feeeew*

*blue may seem darker/brighter in pics because i took it at night under a neon*

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7158.jpg

NOOOOOOOO!

:doh::doh::weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :suicide:

I love acrylics... but somtimes i really hate them! (red and white)

The white is the bloody victim here. as it came off it also pulled off the blue and red with it since it was the first colour to go on! A lot of carefull and tedious touching up to do!

IMG_7146.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

not good - but am sure touching up will not be too troublesome... did you mix up a fair chumk of the blue or are you going to have to match to what you have painted already?

not good - but am sure touching up will not be too troublesome... did you mix up a fair chumk of the blue or are you going to have to match to what you have painted already?

No touching up is really troublesome actually!

I still have blue left thank god! :D i always mix up enough for paint and reserve, unless it dried up

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

• 1 month later...

IM BACK! :D

This build has literally been christened... 'an accident waiting to happen' :poo:

Everytime i progress, something goes wrong! The problem isnt the kit.. but the complexity of the markings, alongside rotten bad luck. :monkey:

These are some of the problems:

1) As we saw before i was plagued by peeling paint, which kept happening almost evertime i retouched the damaged parts. My solution (which worked) was to give the paint 2 coatings of future/klear... and no more paint peeled off! (around 95%)

2) After all the delicate touching up... the aluminum finish was damaged. So i had to remask the 3 colours AGAIN :evil: and spray silver this time. Aluminum looked too 'dotty'. I sprayed the silver & the finish came out full of different shades because of the polluted underyling surface (alum, black, plastic). So i wet sanded it all. primed it with gray paint & sprayed the silver-SUCCESS.

3) When spraying the panels on the tail, some thinner on the tissue ate its way into the fresh silver! AGAIN i had to mask & resprayed the damaged area. again i made the same mistake of not priming the surface. :banghead:

This is it mentioned in no2. Sanded & REMASKED in prep for the silver.

IMG_7947.jpg

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

:rofl:

There's something very Basil Fawlty about this build Adrian, but it certainly adds to the enjoyment (well, for us anyway! :analintruder: )

But seriously, great work to get it to this stage!