1/72 Jaguar ACT

dswoofie

I think they're about right now... highlighting the doors helped. From some angles, it could be said that they're a bit far back, but as we don't yet have a square-on shot, it's difficult to say. They look a whole lot better than then did though :thumbsup:

I've had a look at my pics & there's not much I can bring to the party on the LERX, but I've got some nciely detailed shots of the landing gear when you get to that area ;)

Just make sure to make the airfoil nice and tightly tapered. They seem to be in the right location now. My only question is if they seem too far forward because they seem a tad narrow??

That's probably just the angle, but a bottom up shot like the one in the pics would be useful to compare size/shape - Go to it Karl! ;)

OK, I've done an 'upwards' shot that I think you meant. Hmmmm.

798b4365.jpg

The more I look at this, the more it looks wrong now. I was well happy with it earlier as well! Looks like I might be starting again! I'm beginning to wonder if there were 2 slightly different shaped LERX's fitted at different times. Some of the shots of it in service tend to make it look a lot further forward than it looks preserved. And the curve looks to be less at times... could all be a trick of the eye. :hypnotised:

I took the curve from the photos of the Maintrack parts, guess I'll have to go by 'eye' on this as well...

It looks poo now! :crying:

Karl.

Actually Karl I think it looks better now. I was mostly concerned with the width of the LERXs....wing to fuselage depth. I think you may actually have it. Don't over think this. Pictures can be quite deceiving depending on light and angles. What you need are some good drawings!!! :)

Actually Karl I think it looks better now. I was mostly concerned with the width of the LERXs....wing to fuselage depth. I think you may actually have it. Don't over think this. Pictures can be quite deceiving depending on light and angles. What you need are some good drawings!!! :)

Oh I'd love some drawings of this! Couldn't find anything at all on the ACT.

I'm going to try again tomorrow and see what I can do a second time. Now I've got a bit of confidence in it, it shouldn't take long now.

Now ive seen the underside shot and your project, i think you also need to review the curvature contour, yours i think is a bit sharp?

Here's a comparo:

jaguaract.jpg

798b4365.jpg

I would say that the length is looking good, but I think they're a bit too square... they should taper in a bit towards the front of the nacelles... :hmmm:

I think the radius of the curve at the front's a little narrow too... it needs to sweep back further :)

Now ive seen the underside shot and your project, i think you also need to review the curvature contour, yours i think is a bit sharp?
I would say that the length is looking good, but I think they're a bit too square... they should taper in a bit towards the front of the nacelles... :hmmm:

I think the radius of the curve at the front's a little narrow too... it needs to sweep back further :)

Yep, I agree with you both there. Looking at it like this shows they are a little off. I'll be having another go as soon as the plasticard sheets have glued OK.

Karl.

Yep, I agree with you both there. Looking at it like this shows they are a little off. I'll be having another go as soon as the plasticard sheets have glued OK.

Karl.

Cool. :thumbsup: Unless you've got accurate plans, it's gonna be trial and error all the way. You've got everyone's respect for giving it a go though fella :goodjob:

Not sure how accurate this is, but I found this plan view at www.wingweb.co.uk

Jaguar_ACT.jpg

I was looking for info myself on the ACT demonstrator as I am toying with the idea of doing a what-if operational version sometime next year.

Cheers

O.K.

I've re-cut the extensions and shaped them as appropriate. I'm pretty happy with these new ones now, these look pretty spot on to me against the upwards shot. Again a comparison... (we'll wear this picture out with how many times it's been used so far!)

jaguaract.jpg

19acab79.jpg

c751280f.jpg

What's the consensus on these then? I think they're about as good as I'm going to get.

Now to make those blisters on the top... I tried finding something from a kit that would look the same shape, but couldn't come up with anything. Once again, more cutting, shaping, sanding...

Karl.

They're looking pretty good, but I reckon the long edge (along the thrust line) could do with sloping in towards the centre a little bit more. The curve of the "nose" is looking much better ;)

GOD! ARE YOU NEVER HAPPY!!!! :angry::chair: (Only kidding! :P you know I appreciate the input!)

I think I know what you mean anyway... is this along the right lines...

I thought from this shot that the long bit was pretty much straight and parallel with the wing fences.

7d10971f.jpg

But looking at this one, the long edge seems to kink inwards very very slightly, just after the leading edge. (this actually shows it well and I hadn't noticed before)

rob-12.jpg

Is this what you were on about Mike??

Karl.

Taking shape Karl - I hope your enjoying yourself :D

Yes I'm loving cutting and sanding these bits... (cough, cough, cough... I've never known sooooo much dust and crap!)

Karl.

But looking at this one, the long edge seems to kink inwards very very slightly, just after the leading edge. (this actually shows it well and I hadn't noticed before)

rob-12.jpg

Is this what you were on about Mike??

Karl.

Yup! :thumbsup: You've hit it right on the head... good pic to demonstrate it too ;)

You can blame my Dad for giving me his joiner's eye... he can spot a crooked line from 100yds! :lol:

OK, I'm back to working on the Jag.

I've re-profiled the wings as per Mike's second spot on the long edges of the extensions. I'm now happy with them and I'm going to move on before I bugger them up completely!

Here's the 'new' profile of them... (with comparison shots again)

rob-12.jpg

83e99cf8.jpg

a7626994.jpg

jaguaract.jpg

5937aa03.jpg

I'm definitely leaving them like this because I'm already about a foot deep in plastic shavings and dust. Although I've still got blisters to shape, and also a funny little bit under the tail (see below, any ideas what it is??)

cosa-19.jpg

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

It's a cookie jar with wind-deflector... or "I don't know" as normal people would have said ^_^

btw... those winglets look S P O T O N now :thumbsup::partytime::yahoo:

No, It's no cookie jar, I looked and there was none there! :(

Cheers! The extensions are correct due to your inherited 'joiners eye'! Thanks Mate!

Karl.