Sea King ASaC Mk7

Jabba

This model is going to be one of the two Sea Kings that collided during Op Telic. For those people who do not like this tough, as I was on HMS Ark Royal at the time and felt the mood on the ship at that time. It will be a combination of the Revell kit with some of the parts from the Airfix kit. I will also be using the Airwaves deflated radome, and decals from the kits and other various sources. I may also attempt to fold the blades.

SeaKing002.jpg

SeaKing001.jpg

SeaKing003.jpg

I don't see what can be wrong with tribute builds. I intend to do a SHAR1 of Lt Steve Holmes who we lost in the Med when I was with 800sqn on Invincible. Will certainly be watching this build.

Terrible accident, with many fatalities, although sadly, probably avoidable.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/588268FC-BB...704_22mar03.pdf

Good luck with the build.

Troffa,

Can't find the link on the MOD UK website to RN air accidents. I found the MAAS section concerning the RAF.

Jabba,

I worthwhile subject, and I wish you the best of luck.

John

A big thank you to all those who gave their support when I saud that this build was going to be a tribute. Although it may not look it, some modelling has actually been done to the Sea King. I have got rid of a lot of things that the instructions tell you to do, especially the cabin floor. Although most of the insides will not be seen as the cabin door will be shut, I still like to get this done as some might be seen through the square window.

SeaKing004.jpg

SeaKing005.jpg

This shows a comparison between the Airfix and Revell inflatable radomes. The Airfix one is on the right, which is much bigger than the Revell one. I will be using the Airwaves deflated set, but which radome is actually correct?

SeaKing006.jpg

To be honest not much has been done to this project due to the fact that i had to get another model ready for a competition at my club meeting tomorrow (see RFI). I have managed to get the inside of the fuselage and the instrument panels painted and some of it fixed to the flooring. Hopefull this week I will be able to concentrate a bit more on this one, getting a bit more build up and put together.

SeaKing007.jpg

SeaKing008.jpg

SeaKing009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick note about colour, the RN machines are two shades of grey not one - the undersides are listed as "Flint" which is actually our old friend "Barley" Grey now Camouflage Grey.

dto5580.jpg

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Quick note about colour, the RN machines are two shades of grey not one - the undersides are listed as "Flint" which is actually our old friend "Barley" Grey now Camouflage Grey.

dto5580.jpg

I thought that this might be the case as the Airfix kit instructions say so, but I was not quite sure so thanks for clearing that up.

The first couple of photos show the flight deck and cabin before I did a bit of weathering on them. These have now been stuck to the fuselage as you can see in the third photo. I have also added the box affair that the radome is fixed to and, hopefully tonight I shall have it glued together, and the rest of the construction can then follow. I doubt that I shall have this one finished before the end of the GB, but I will keep on putting in updates until it is.

SeaKing011.jpg

SeaKing010.jpg

SeaKing012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The fuselage and the undecarriage sponsons are now together. I have added a few of the ECM bits from the Airfix kit as they seem to be a bit more accurate, in my opinion. I have got the front piece glued to the windscreen and will hopefully add that in the not too distant future. I know that this will not be completed in time for the end of the Gb, but I will keep on adding updates here, unless told otherwise.

SeaKing013.jpg

SeaKing014.jpg

SeaKing015.jpg

SeaKing016.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The build still goes on and all is togther now and ready for painting. I am a little undecided about folding the rotor blades as the kits rotors don't look like the real thing, without a lot of modification. I shall have to have look at this properly before i go ahead and decide what to do.

SeaKing017.jpg

SeaKing018.jpg

SeaKing019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latecomer to this thread, but I think the idea of a tribute model is a terrific one. And, your work is looking great so far!