Bill of materials:

1:48 scale Airfix GR3 kit

Airwaves GR1 etched cockpit set

Eduard GR1A etched set

Paragon resin bulged wheels

Paragon resin afterburners, chaff dispensers and cannon bulges

Pavla resin seat

Model Alliance Nigerian decals.

Here we go then, the first picture of it all laid out. The power rangers are not mine......honest :whistle: the choccy bar is.

PICT0053.jpg

Edited by palacefan

That's an unusual checked cutting mat. Is that an Imperial Speeder Bike I can see on the far right?

oh yeh, in the finest lego

oh yeh, in the finest lego

...and I suppose you'll now try & tell us that belongs to your kids too :hmmm:

I wish I had that excuse... then I could get all my lego back out of the loft :wub:

I wish I had that excuse... then I could get all my lego back out of the loft :wub:

for resin moulds Mike, for resin moulds ;)

...and I suppose you'll now try & tell us that belongs to your kids too :hmmm:

That Lego Star Wars stuff is fantastic! I can recommend the Revell easyKits as well, but they can be somewhat pricey. Mind you so can Lego.

John

That Lego Star Wars stuff is fantastic! I can recommend the Revell easyKits as well, but they can be somewhat pricey. Mind you so can Lego.

John

Lego's always been expensive, but worth it. The only thing I don't like about modern lego is that most of it is designed with one purpose in mind. To build the model on the front of the box. When I played with lego, most of it was generic blocks, and as such you used to have to use your imagination much more, and make the shapes yourself. It was also much more flexible in what you could build as a result.

Sorry Wayne, Didn't mean to derail your thread this early :lol::blush:

Sorry Wayne, Didn't mean to derail your thread this early :lol::blush:

your having a laugh, i could talk about and play with lego all day! :analintruder:

I agree about the imagination as well. i once made nine red arrows out of 18 2x8, 18 2x8, 36 2x2 and 18 clear 2x2. they were not all red as i didnt have enough, and they looked more like A10's but they stayed made for years and flew all over the world.

Now, did anyone see my Jaguar, i need to fubar the flaps.

Edited by palacefan

This is only my second kit that i have kit bashed and the first one still isnt finished after 6 months.

I am begining to think that this is beond my abilities.

I have had these Paragon flaps for a while now, and by all accounts they are very good. I think that although i have followed the instructions to the letter, i must have done something wrong. First of all I cut the flaps off of the top wing at the red lines, i am pretty sure that i did not cut too much off here.

PICT0004-8.jpg

Then on the lower stbd wing I cut along these red lines, again to the instructions, and again i dont think i cut too much off.

PICT0005-4.jpg

Here is the first problem, the outer flaps dont seem to fill the space i just cut out.

PICT00022.jpg

And secondly the two halves of the wing dont seem to match up, so that the gap between the two flaps are different. Do i have to fill and sand a best fit for this area or have i done something wrong?

PICT00032.jpg

I have only cut one lower wing at the moment as i dont want to mess up both. And i have a spare wing if it is knackered, is there a simple solution?

PICT00012.jpg

Just found this picture, why are the flaps not drooped?

0513465.jpg

Just found this picture, why are the flaps not drooped?

0513465.jpg

Not sure wayne but, I remember reading where Spitfire and Hurricane pilots could be fined £5 for leaving their flaps down. The Commanding Officers said it 'spoilt' the look of a line of a line up of fighters.

maybe the same, it would spoil the lines?

Do i have to fill and sand a best fit for this area or have i done something wrong?

Dont worry, you have done nothing wrong. The panel lines etc do not line up on the upper and lower kit wing panel lines. You will have to do a bit of filling/sanding on that bit.

They are all like that, Guv .... :)

B)

Not sure wayne but, I remember reading where Spitfire and Hurricane pilots could be fined £5 for leaving their flaps down. The Commanding Officers said it 'spoilt' the look of a line of a line up of fighters.

maybe the same, it would spoil the lines?

But i could be wrong but i thought that the flaps needed power or they would droop. :shrug:

But i could be wrong but i thought that the flaps needed power or they would droop. :shrug:

I think the Jag's flaps are screw-jack operated rather than hydraulic. So there would be no bleed off of hydraulic pressure to allow them to droop. They would be up or down and stay that way.

as im under a bit of time pressure, i wish i had known that before i cut the flaps :doh:

But it will still look a bit more interesting now i guess.

as im under a bit of time pressure, i wish i had known that before i cut the flaps :doh:

But it will still look a bit more interesting now i guess.

Hey don't worry Wayne - were in this togther. I cut mine exactly as you which is correct, and will be working on my wings by the weekend if not before. Hang in there!

Hey don't worry Wayne - were in this togther. I cut mine exactly as you which is correct, and will be working on my wings by the weekend if not before. Hang in there!

Thanks Gary.

I think I have come up with a way forward now, whether it is correct is another thing.

I have used some plastic card to make one triangular shaped panel between the flaps

PICT0001-12.jpg

And some on the underside, both need trimming and filling etc but i hope this works.

PICT0003-9.jpg

Edited by palacefan

Nice save there Wayne. Think you've managed to pull that one out of the bag :goodjob: Glad I read your post mate......... I was about to leap in and do exactly the same as you. Well that's Lesson no.1 about the Airfix Jag learned........... don't assume any of the panel lines actually do line up. I'm sure we're about to discover plenty more in the next few months :wall:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought i would do a bit more as i was bumped onto page two.

With alot of sanding i have got the wings where i want them, just some rescribing to do.

PICT0002-14.jpg

PICT0003-10.jpg

After a bit of advise from other threads, i cut the bottom of the intake ready for a platic card base.

PICT0004-9.jpg

Some tabs where added to the flat base of the fusalage for ease of alignment.

PICT0005-5.jpg

The side doors were carved out a little and plastic card doors added.

PICT0001-14.jpg

Its all a bit rough around the edges at the moment but i am confident that it should all work quite well when painted.