• M4rk: Mosquito NF Mk.XVII

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Here's my humble offering done!

R7881 Typhoon Nightfighter

Typhoon8.jpg

Cockpit area

Typhoon6.jpg

Underside, in my handy dandy foam transporter!

Typhoon9.jpg

Scratch built wing tanks, A.I. radar aerials from Revell 1/32 Beaufighter, Decals from Techmod, radar set in cockpit, dials recessed. IFF wire aerials and boarding stirrup added.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Tony Whittingham

Great looking models in here for sure!

Here is my Finemolds D4YS-2 "Judy" in 1/48. Paints were WEM, weathering with Tamiya acrylics and Mig Wash decals sucked!

I would like to say a big thanks to Andy (Smuts) for help and advice on the decals.

DSC02577.jpg

DSC02574.jpg

DSC02582.jpg

DSC02588.jpg

Howard

Bristol Beaufighter Mk VI

'Nightfighter'

V8324 29 Squadron

November 1940

In the late 1930's the RAF faced with a shortage of fighter planes, used the fuselage of the Beaufort Bomber to start short term construction of the twin engined Bristol Beaufighter. After it's maiden flight the Beaufighter was used in various roles including interception, bombing and anti-ship warfare. However, the first operation Beaufighters, equipped with Airborne Interception (AI) Radar, proved their true worth as night fighters.

During the Battle of Britain, the Luftwaffe switched it's focus from day bombing to night bombing. In response to that threat the RAF deployed Blenheims but these proved ineffective in the role. It was the Beaufighter that stepped into the role and served until replaced later in the war by Mosquito nightfighters.

* Kit manufacture: Tamiya

* Scale: 1/48

* Type: Beaufighter Mk VI Nightfighter

* Extras used: ICM Russian Ground crew & Scratchbuilt base

* Paints and colours used: Tamiya Acrylics, Citadel Metalics.

* Other info: Full build is here

A great kit which I really enjoyed building. I would like to thank Peter Marshall for the idea of using prop-blurs, and for advice in weathering her.

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf110G-4 flown by Leutnant Werner Barthel of 6./NJG1 flying from Wehl airfield in late 1944. Barthel claimed 4 night time victories but was himself shot down on 26 March 1945 doing ground attack operations in defence of the Rhine and became a POW.

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

No8.jpg

No6.jpg

No5.jpg

sideviewairfield.jpg

Bfbeingserviced.jpg

Edited by galgos

Here we go, bit of a rush towards the end. Classic Airframes Meteror NF11/13 kit but with the Alley Cat NF12 coversion & decals to represent the CO's aircraft of 153 squadron RAF Wildenrath 1957. The CA kit is well documented as a bit of a nightmare but take your time, especially with the intakes & it's perfectly buildable. The conversion is very simple - just a new one piece resin nose to replace the kit parts & tail that just requires the kit tail to be removed. Apart from that OOB but I replaced the cannon barrels with brass tube & the pitot tube with brass tube & sleeved rod. I also removed the leading edge landing lights & wingtip navigation lamps that are molded solid & replaced them with pieces of clear plastic from an old toothbrush handle - probably the most time consuming part of the whole build!

Also sneaking into the pics is an NF11 that I built a couple of years back (& which frankly I made a better job of). CO's machine of 68 squadron. Just for comparison of the medium length (NF11) & long (NF12) noses really, plis of course the different schemes.

_8080898.jpg

_8080897.jpg

_8080895.jpg

_8080892.jpg

_8080889.jpg

_8080899.jpg

Well that's it. The Night Fighter Group Build has come to an end.

I've added a poll to the start of the thread which I'll leave open for a week.

Thanks to everyone who joined in.

I'd like to share a quote from a book I'm reading at the moment. I thought it was quite apt and it made me smile.

"Only birds and fools fly by day and only owls and bloody fools fly by night!" - Geoffrey Wellum, First light

On with the vote :)

We have a winner!

Congratulations to galgos and his lovely Messerschmitt Bf110G-4.

In joint second place we have Mish with her Beaufighter and dambuster with his Ar234B-2/N.

Well done everyone. :goodjob:

5.jpg

Thanks very much....I'm on holiday in Ireland for a few days so only just been able to log on.

It's been a fascinating first GB for me, so interesting to see what others are building to a theme, the different approaches and techniques applied etc.. If you're able to get hold of one, I can thoroughly recommend the Revell/|Monogram kit, old as it is - in my opinion it stands a favourable comparison to the Eduard kit. I have been especially impressed by the Beaufighters and the Mossie in this GB - as adversaries of the Bf110G-4 they will certainly form part of my collection.

Regards

Max