*1/72nd P-51D Mustang

Smiffy

P-51D Mustang

1-1.jpg

We can't have a Matchbox groupbuild without having a Dooleybird, can we?. :)

One of my favourites, this one. I think it must be the box art. B)

I'm gonna knock this together, alongside my Fortress.

I'm thinking I should get this one done, but I'm starting to have doubts about having the Fort finished by the deadline (she's fighting me :fight: ).

I sprayed the interior green while I had it loaded up in the airbrush for the B-17.

I've got the fuselage together this morning and just knocked the wings together. Then I've stuck some filler on the fuse seams.

Should be a nice quick build.

Edited by Deon

Got her all together now.

Just got some promodellers thin sanding sticks in the post and they were very handy, getting in to all the hard to reach bits.

As she's a NMF, I've spent some time getting the joins all nice and smooth, using a polishing stick.

I've thinned down the U/C doors, as they're a bit thick.

The canopy was bugging me. The framing on the lower edge was very thick/wide and it just made it look wrong, so I took a coarse sanding stick to it and removed it.

I then smoothed it out with progressively finer grades and then a Mastercasters miracle polisher.

Finally polished up using Finishers compounds and some Treatment wax.

Not perfect, but it'll do.

Just about ready for paint now :) (will have to wait though, as I'm going to Biggin tomorrow).

2.jpg

I'm cutting it a bit fine with this one, but I'm still hopeful of getting it completed in time. :hobbyhorse:

First coating of silver had to be rubbed back because of dust issues.

Second try has come out...okay. It'll have to do though ( I just wanna get something finished for once :rolleyes: ).

The wing L/E yellow bands were sprayed last night.

This morning I painted up the U/C legs and gave the spinner a coat of white.

Next, I've gotta mask up and spray the upper nose and spinner bands blue and paint the prop and the wheels.

Once the blue's dried, then mask and paint the black anti glare panel.

Ohh and the inner gear doors and wells have gotta be sprayed int green.

Then Clear, decals, another coat of Clear (if time allows) and then final assembly.

Like I said, cutting it close. :pray:

I'll try and get some progress pics up later (while different bits are drying). ;)

Quick update while I'm having me dinner. :eat:

Inner U/c dors and gear bay painted with Aeromaster int green.

Nose and spinner sprayed with Valejo Dk Prussian blue followed by an overspray of thinned intense blue.

4.jpg

Before you go any further ,ditch the blue anti-glare panel, should be Olive Drad with yellow trim, see previous discussion on Britmodeller. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28590

Edited by Andrew Jones

Okay, I give in. I can't get her done in time. :fraidnot:

I'll finish her properly over the next day or two (rather than rushing and ruining).

Despite the problems with the paint, I've enjoyed this one. I've been at the bench pretty much all weekend (without distraction) for the first time in a long old while. :)