*Brewster Buffalo : FINISHED

fraxinus

Many Matchbox kits in the stash...but drawn to the Brewster Buffalo found while trying to find my Dragon Black Widow kit so can copy interior for my FROG Nightfighter GB (thats whats delaying me!) so I thought join in the Matchbox GB! What colourful plastic! Red & Creme or a bit like what railway enthusiasts call blood & custard I spose!

buffalosmallkit.jpg

buffaloredplastic.jpg

Decided to go Dutch! the decals look slightly better on a suspect decal sheet

smallbuffaloart.jpg

Edited by Deon

progress this evening....much to the disapointment of the pilot figure who though his red overals meant it would be a hawk & joining the 'Dead Sparrows' he has been installed in the fusalge of a Buffalo!

buffaloprogress1.jpg

When Matchbox kits first arrived, we were told that the two (or three) colour plastic would mean that there was no need to paint the model. So who at Matchbox thought that red and pale grey would be a good choice for this kit?!?!?!?!? :analintruder:

And the Brunswick Green for one of the sprues in the Corsair II!

Took several coats of paint to cover...

Christian the Married

When Matchbox kits first arrived, we were told that the two (or three) colour plastic would mean that there was no need to paint the model. So who at Matchbox thought that red and pale grey would be a good choice for this kit?!?!?!?!? :analintruder:

The blast from the past continues with main airframe completed last night....& wonders of wonders I have found the Matchbox Buffalo I built back in the late 70's!! Camo rather good but missing 2 wheels ....488 Sqd RNZAF it's prop survived the childish wargames of the period....will post a picture of my ...er... 'early period' (not hugely different from my 'later period!') next time

smallbuffalohalfbuilt.jpg

buffalohalfbtops.jpg

buffalohalfwayinverted.jpg

can't think why I didn't come up with that!!! what were they thinking? most kits you can sort of see why they chose certain colours .....but nope this escapes me!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so finished this tonight done and dusted pretty much by 23.45pm! ...24.00 hrs deadline.......then of course PC kept crashing, Britmodeller then hated my password & timed out after 3 & photobucket downloading....welll we wont go there....suffice to say its amazing this piece of PC junk hasn't joined the hedgehog on the front lawn...via open study window!!!

So yes its late & I missed the deadline but hopefully will be excused ....the red plastic is no more, this was built straight from the box no filler apart from tippex along top cowling (big gap where wing joined fusalage) but I havn't had much time to model recently so its a quick and dirty rendition....but o my god the decals...aaagh

pics of the damage:

smallbuffalos.jpg

buffalovsmall.jpg

The decals were actually unusable the covering tissue Had welded to the sheet & they were in fact a primitive form of cardboard & very thick 2 decal softening solutions tried....and then the triangles went kind of hairy!! so had to paint over the black...don't look closely ...

buffaloweeny.jpg

buffalovsmall2.jpg

I have never built an aircraft in Dutch markings before so no spares I could use, I stuck it onto the diplay stand as of old, & placed on top of the display cabinet in the far corner of the room, looks alright at that distance!!!!

Anyway hope the GB moderator wont be too harsh on posting late....damn pc's!!

damn forgot to varnish it !!! the brown xtracolour brushed on nicely after a couple of coats but the revell acrylic green was very grainy no matter how many stirrings!

Very nice result.

As you had PC problems to add the pictures into the gallery,I'm adding this as "finished" in the gallery.

Please place some pictures once things are sorted.

Lovely job - always thought that the Buffalo was a "cute" warplane (if such a thing exists... visions of enemy pilots going "Awwwwww...." as they plummet towards the ground in flames....) - which you've captured well, despite some challenges ;)

Great looking Buffalo...!!

Cheers,

ggc

Nice work Fraxinus, I hope my own build of that kit looks as good when it gets done (next matchbox GB maybe). It might have been a bit hopeless, but it isn't without its charms either.

Lovely job - always thought that the Buffalo was a "cute" warplane (if such a thing exists... visions of enemy pilots going "Awwwwww...." as they plummet towards the ground in flames....) - which you've captured well, despite some challenges ;)

I once knew someone who mentioned to me that their grandfather had flown Buffaloes in Singapore with the RNZAF, to which my first thought was "and he survived?". Also reminds me of a commando comic I once had where a squadron traded in their Mk VIII Spitifires for Buffaloes without a word of misgiving. I might have only been 8 but I suddenly realised that comics might not be the last word in accuracy... That issue was beautifully drawn though it must be said.