* Me410A-2/U4

Fifer54

Here's my build for this GB. I'll start with the usual "mugshots",

Nite2001.jpg

Nite2002.jpg

Nite2003.jpg

Progress reports will follow, when there's progress to report!

Edited by MadNurseGaz

It's a fairly nice kit, as Matchbox go. Just don't choose the 70/71 colour scheme, for it is (let's be polite) unconfirmed. Matchbox took it out of the old Profile on the type, and it keeps getting repeated......

Oooops!

That was the one I intended doing, as I have no confidence in my ability to achieve an

effective mottle for the other scheme!

Ah well, back to the drawing board...........

1. Trim down hairy stick

2. Practise!!

<dab dab dab>

:coat:

Haven't seen one of these before.... popcorn time :)

:popcorn:

Yes, I've never built a Me410 before. I bought one once, a FROG one, but didn't build it

'cos when I got home and opened the box, the plastic inside wasn't a Me410, but a Vultee

Vengeance! I would've taken it back, but we lived in Brora in the Highlands of Scotland

75 miles north of Inverness and it was a 2 & 1/2 hour trip back to the LMS! So I built

the Vengeance.

Anyhow, I'd forgotten how easily and quickly these old Matchbox kits go together! One

evening's work has taken me to a a built-up structure that needs painting and details adding

(from where I was at the last report)

Since it came with a stand, I decided to build the Me "in-flight" which meant putting staff in

the office, so here they are, painted according to Matchbox's mini-paint plan:

Nite2005.jpg

Then I got as far as this:

Nite2006.jpg

So then I decided "Go for it" and got this:

Nite2007.jpg

Nite2008.jpg

So that's where i've got to with this. I'll start painting the airframe today, hopefully

but I'm losing the use of SWMBO's camera. Daughter-in-law has broken hers, and is off

to Egypt for a holiday next week, so she's borrowing it from today! The good news is

that SWMBO is treating me to a little 5MP Praktica camera, I'll have my own !

nice choice of Matchbox kit my dads rendition of it has survived 25-30 years & still in my model display cabinet so its 'bombproof' once built....his mottling pattern is of his own design!!

Progressing at high speed, Gaz - looking good.

Mottle, mottle, mottle ;)

Yes, these Matchbox kits go together very well.

I have made some more progress, but the new digital camera (whcih arrived today)

hasn't got a "macro" setting so I'm quite disappointed with the pictures of the model.

They're a lot like my early model pix from before I found macro mode on the regular

camera, so, backed away till it's in focus, digital zoomed in again and then cropped and

scaled so the model isn't a dot in the middle of the picture, here it is.

The main "splinter" camo done and awaiting mottle on fuselage sides and vertical tail.

Nite2.jpg

Before actually posting this, after seeing the preview, I'm horrified at that picture.

Sorry, all, It's the best i can do for the moment, methinks a clandestine visit to

Jessops is called for!

more soon!

Sorry, all, It's the best i can do for the moment, methinks a clandestine visit to

Jessops is called for!

I'm very glad you explained that... I was also just about to leave for ther shops, but for SpecSavers rather than Jessops :coolio:

OK, a replacement for the camera has been acquired and without trying to learn its settings, I've

got this:

Nite2017.jpg

which is a bit of an improvement!

And now that I've showed that to you all, I can carry on with the

mottling. I think a very light mottle of Schwarzgruen and Dunkelgruen on the tail, nacelles and fuselage

sides, then a heavier dabbing of RLM Grau 02 on the same areas, and after that spirals on the spinners

just to test the steadiness of my hands!

I recommend single malt Scotch.

That's a general comment, and probably nothing to do with helping to keep the hands steady :)

Funnily enough, Milo, a nice single malt is what I usually recommend. Nothing to do with modelling

at all, I just enjoy a wee dram! Clynelish is my dram of choice, served on the rocks with a splash of

sparkling water.

Slainte Mhath! :cheers:

:coat:

Cheers, Milo! Did enjoy that dram!

Anyway, first stage of mottling completed!

Nite2019.jpg

Nite2018.jpg

One more colour to apply, and the mottle will be sufficient!

Looks like it's going well. Did you do that with a cut-down brush?

Yes, Milo. The oldest brush I own, size 0 with the bristles cut down to 4mm.

Then just used a dry-brush "dabbing" technique until I was happy with the mottle.

nice mottling. I love that you have it on the stand already

Thank you for that kind comment. I put it on the stand as soon as the fuselage and wings

were assembled. It was simply because there was a stand with the kit that I decided to build

it gear-up, so it was convenient to use the stand to store the model while paint dried, etc.

It's not permanently attached (yet!)

Nearly done now!