Help modelling 1/72 Blackburn Shark II

Killingholme

Hi all,

I am building some old kits found in the attic as a return to modelling aircraft since abandoning it during childhood. Can I ask you chaps;

1) does anyone make a replacement 1/72 scale Armstrong-Siddeley Tiger engine suitable (enough) for the Shark? I cannot find a UK supplier, but would consider overseas.

2) I suppose no one makes an etched detail set for such an elderly kit, but would anyone care to suggest a good set I could perhaps take some parts from to dress the Shark's empty cockpit with? I'm thinking a swordfish set or something similar?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully recd. Forgive the daft questions- I am very new to modelling aircraft. This is only my second model after a frog Westland PV.3. 'Wallace'.

cheers

Will

Hi all,

I am building some old kits found in the attic as a return to modelling aircraft since abandoning it during childhood. Can I ask you chaps;

1) does anyone make a replacement 1/72 scale Armstrong-Siddeley Tiger engine suitable (enough) for the Shark? I cannot find a UK supplier, but would consider overseas.

2) I suppose no one makes an etched detail set for such an elderly kit, but would anyone care to suggest a good set I could perhaps take some parts from to dress the Shark's empty cockpit with? I'm thinking a swordfish set or something similar?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully recd. Forgive the daft questions- I am very new to modelling aircraft. This is only my second model after a frog Westland PV.3. 'Wallace'.

cheers

Will

On 1: no. However Aeroclub make (made?) an AS Panther engine (E008), which I felt came acceptably close: both are by AS and have 14 cylinders. It's certainly an improvement on what the kit offers. Aeroclub are not trading at the mo and Hannants seem to be sold out. It's still listed at The Aviation Hobby Shop (link below) but that's maybe not a guarantee it's actually in stock.

http://www.tahs.com/ (look under "kit catalogue" and then "conversions")

On 2: no. If you find something - or any decent reference material on what Shark cockpit interiors look like -, please tell us on this forum!

HTH

Nick

Nick,

Thanks! I apologise for asking daft questions, but when you have limited familiarity with what's available, it's good to hear from someone who has experience, even if the answer is NO!

re: cockpit views, the nearest I got was the 1934 Flight article on the aircraft; http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...ml?search=shark

thanks once again,

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Nick,

Thanks! I apologise for asking daft questions, but when you have limited familiarity with what's available, it's good to hear from someone who has experience, even if the answer is NO!

many thanks,

Will

Nothing at all daft about your question, especially because the Shark is a relatively obscure subject. Glad to be of assistance, albeit limited. It's what this forum is for.

Nick

On 1: no. However Aeroclub make (made?) an AS Panther engine (E008), which I felt came acceptably close: both are by AS and have 14 cylinders. It's certainly an improvement on what the kit offers. Aeroclub are not trading at the mo and Hannants seem to be sold out. It's still listed at The Aviation Hobby Shop (link below) but that's maybe not a guarantee it's actually in stock.

http://www.tahs.com/ (look under "kit catalogue" and then "conversions")

On 2: no. If you find something - or any decent reference material on what Shark cockpit interiors look like -, please tell us on this forum!

HTH

Nick

I do not wish to highjack the thread but was interested in the remarks about Aeroclub , so they are no longer trading , is that correct ? I ask because I had an order in with them , which they confirmed and then nothing and no response to emails either , so that might explain it ?

I do not wish to highjack the thread but was interested in the remarks about Aeroclub , so they are no longer trading , is that correct ? I ask because I had an order in with them , which they confirmed and then nothing and no response to emails either , so that might explain it ?

The following links should help explain the situation:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45464

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48988

Cheers,

Bill.

Thank you for that , I have never looked at that part of this site . I did not wish to intrude as I was aware there had been a loss , hopefully I will hear from them again as I do want what I had ordered , as do friends I ordered on behalf of .

• 1 month later...

To bring this back to the top, I have just picked up an Eastern Express Model of this. Not a skerrit of any paint schemes in it even though the decals seem to include markings for a wartime one. Are these markings the same as for the Frog or Novo versions & does anyone have any paint scheme details they could scan & post/email?

Thanks,

Steve.

Back to the original question , there was a resin outfit called Engines and Things if my memory is correct , they did a Tiger I think . Another souce might be Flightpath , if you emailed David and asked nicely the Tigers from his Mk11 Whitley conversion might be suitable and he might sell them individualy.

To bring this back to the top, I have just picked up an Eastern Express Model of this. Not a skerrit of any paint schemes in it even though the decals seem to include markings for a wartime one. Are these markings the same as for the Frog or Novo versions & does anyone have any paint scheme details they could scan & post/email?

Thanks,

Steve.

The markings on the Frog sheet are for Portuguese 74 "2", FAA floatplane K4295, FAA torpedo bomber K8471 "652" of HMS Courageous and wartime trainer (dark earth/dark green/yellow) K8453. Drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a scan of the painting details on the box bottom.

BTW I haven't been able to find a pic of K8453 in that scheme and Ray Sturtivant's "FAA Aircraft 1939-1945" has no record of it in service during the war.

Nick

Probably a good idea of Grahams, Amazon retailers have a couple for sale at a reasonable price, its been on my todo list for a bit. The Engines & Things engine from Rollmodels is a Tiger & as such exactly right for the Shark, keep in mind that Shark IIIs & I think some later Shark IIs had Pegasus engines. Damn, too many options, decisions, decisions. :o

Thanks Nick, thats a great help. Don't hold your breath for a final result, I tend to be a long term builder & the idea of a resin engine is taking hold. :(

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Probably a good idea of Grahams, Amazon retailers have a couple for sale at a reasonable price, its been on my todo list for a bit. The Engines & Things engine from Rollmodels is a Tiger & as such exactly right for the Shark, keep in mind that Shark IIIs & I think some later Shark IIs had Pegasus engines. Damn, too many options, decisions, decisions. :o

Thanks Nick, thats a great help. Don't hold your breath for a final result, I tend to be a long term builder & the idea of a resin engine is taking hold. :(

Steve.

Glad to be of assistance.

Pictures of Shark IIs (as opposed to Shark IIIs with the canopy) during WW2 are not exactly thick on the ground. However page 17 of Gordon Swanborough's "British Aircraft at War 1939-1945" (HPC Publishing, 1997) has a pic of K8485 while serving at the A&AEE in Nov 41. It's in almost exactly the trainer scheme depicted on the Frog box. No arrestor hook, no sign of rear gun. However under the 4" "ROYAL NAVY" title the serial is in even smaller (3"?) serifed style. There is definitely yellow under the nose and cowling but the rear fuselage colour demarcation is so low I'm tempted to suggest it wraps right round.

Swanborough doesn't mention Sharks with Pegasus though I notice Sturtivant does say Shark IIIs had them.

Isn't it about time MPM/Special Hobby brought out a state-of-the-art Shark III? Would you care to join my petition?

Nick

I don't have the book but I wonder if it is this pic you refer to?

blackburn_20b6_20shark_519.jpg

from THIS website.

This pattern is identical to the box scheme you sent me, but as you say the serial is a bit small. It'll do me for a scheme, that is if I can't manage to confuse myself with the Loyd book & some other contradictory info off the net. :(

Steve.

I don't have the book but I wonder if it is this pic you refer to?

blackburn_20b6_20shark_519.jpg

from THIS website.

This pattern is identical to the box scheme you sent me, but as you say the serial is a bit small. It'll do me for a scheme, that is if I can't manage to confuse myself with the Loyd book & some other contradictory info off the net. :(

Steve.

The very same: congratulations on saving yourself £14.95. Serial is just about readable in the book's reproduction.

Nick

Steve.

And then of course there were the North American manufactured machines !