1/48 Classic Airframes Meteor NF.13

OzH

A bit late, but here's my entry

Classic Airframes Meteor NF 11/13 as a 13

NightFighterGB001.jpg

Hope to finish it in 39 Sqn markings during the Suez crisis, 1956:

NightFighterGB002.jpg

I have the cockpit ready to paint, nice and simple - Black!

I'm away with work next week, this will be my evenings entertainment!

Should be nice and simple - said that before and regretted it!

Edited by OzH
  • Like 1

Nice one, I have been tempted to buy one of these before so will be interested to see how it goes together :thumbsup2:

A bit late, but here's my entry

Classic Airframes Meteor NF 11/13 as a 13

NightFighterGB001.jpg

Hope to finish it in 39 Sqn markings during the Suez crisis, 1956:

NightFighterGB002.jpg

I have the cockpit ready to paint, nice and simple - Black!

I'm away with work next week, this will be my evenings entertainment!

Should be nice and simple - said that before and regretted it!

Nice and simple OzH? Have you build a CA kit before?

Jesting aside the end result is well worth it....I have managed to beat a few of these kits into submission over the last few years!!

You'll be fine!!! Just a few pointers to look out for - the resin cockpit.....a dodgy fit - at best. Trial fit a few times! The resin block is difficult to remove - take care not to saw through the floor!!!

Intakes - they have both standard width and wide -breathers - take care when building these up, and aligning them to the nacelles. The spars are particular difficult to fit.

Outer wing panels - sections of sprue may be helpful to help fit these.

The plastic used - matt or shiny - CA seem to use two distinct types - both are reluctant to take some cement's!

Undercarriage - main gear leg's have no natural locating point. Chop the top mm or two off - drill a hole add a section of sprue, drill locating hole into wheel well.

Wheel wells - need a lot of plastic to be removed from the top to allow upper wing to fit - Dremel will be your friend here!

Nose gear - the retracting/operating mechanism is resin and very delicate. Take greatcare when adding the plastic nose leg.

Hope this lot helps ...

Looking forward to your build OzH!

• 2 weeks later...

A week away with work, no kids, no Mrs OzH, nothing to do in the evenings, bliss!

I painted the cockpit and engine faces last weekend, but was in to much of a hurry when I left on Sunday night to take any photo’s, needles to say, they were fantastic!!

So sat in a hotel with nothing much on the box, I managed to get a load done. I took Bills advice, loads of test fitting of the cockpit and its in just about right. I strengthened the nose wheel assembly with a piece of sprue going from the attachment point to the inside top on the nose, seems to have done the trick and is not visible. Other than that, loads of dry fitting, the only real problem area was the engine nacelles, the inside do not match up, so some additional filler was used here.

The rest was ok, a few bits of filler here and there, I’ve done worse…

NightFighterGB003.jpg

NightFighterGB006.jpg

NightFighterGB008.jpg

NightFighterGB005.jpg

NightFighterGB004.jpg

NightFighterGB002a.jpg

NightFighterGB001a.jpg

NightFighterGB007.jpg

Painting is in progress...

Undercoat

NightFighterGB014.jpg

NightFighterGB015.jpg

Pre-shadeing and the Black of the Suez stripes

NightFighterGB016.jpg

NightFighterGB017.jpg

Yellow stripes

NightFighterGB018.jpg

NightFighterGB020.jpg

and then the Medium Sea Grey with RAF Green over the top..

NightFighterGB022.jpg

NightFighterGB023.jpg

Next, onto decals...

Looking very tasty Oz. From what I recall of the NF13 I built, the outer wings were a sod to fit - but you seem to have overcome that problem with ease and style!

Sand - Test fit - adjust - sand - test fit - adjust.......

Have fun masking the canopy! :evil_laugh:

Jonners

Yeah, thanks! I tried using masking fluid - not to successful, stripped it off and as cutting masks would have taken an age, I hand painted - what do you think? not to bad....

NightFighterGB074.jpg

Sand - Test fit - adjust - sand - test fit - adjust.......

Yeah, thanks! I tried using masking fluid - not to successful, stripped it off and as cutting masks would have taken an age, I hand painted - what do you think? not to bad....

NightFighterGB074.jpg

Sorry if its a bit late but another way of doing the canopy is to do all the horizontal framing first, then mask off and do all the vertical bits. Much easier than trying to mask all the individual panels. The triangular bits at the intersections can then be done by hand or just ignored.

Meteor112.jpg

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

great build & fantastic finish agree on yout technique on painting the cockpit framing too ....horizontal & vertical seperately....I truly hate masking !!