RAF Coningsby the Typhoon land

Homebee

RAF Coningsby is definitely a spotter paradise... as soon as you have the appropriate ladder G_04BI~1.GIF

frank1coningsby20100527.jpg

That said I spend some time along the Coningsby fences on May 26th & 27th.

11sqntoconingsby2010052.jpg

dmzj823dlconingsby20100.jpg

dhzj949coningsby2010052.jpg

flightline29sqn12010052.jpg

acconingsby20100526.jpg

qowconingsby20100526.jpg

ebrconingsby20100527.jpg

bjconingsby20100526.jpg

bjconingsby20100526.jpg

abzj912coningsby2010052.jpg

ebjzd437coningsby201005.jpg

The 2nd (ZK304/EB) Typhoon FGR.4 from 6 Sqn still without the appropriate markings.

ebzk304coningsby2010052.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Lovely photos, thanks for posting, but did you do a risk assessment before placing the ladder ,and shouldn't you be using scaffolding anyway to work at that height ?

Absolutely fantastic pics but dont you get in trouble for scaling their fences, i cant imagine security being too pleased with you, but glad you did love the lanc pic that really is great

Russ

RAF Coningsby is definitely a spotter paradise

V.P.

VP,

Connigsby is more Spotter friendly than Gatwick :yikes: Big Bird & I wandered down to the crash gate near 11 Sqn HQ to snap photos of their Lightning through the gate, and as we were snapping away, 2 friendly WO's wandered past us, waved and smiled........ Now bear(sp?) in mind Ive driven around Gatwick and Ive seen spotters being sprung for ID by the Rozzers :mental:

Finally, thanks for sharing some truly cracking photos :worthy:

Bexy

Is it just me - but the more Tiffie pix I see - the more beautiful I think the aeroplane looks!

Iain

Im having those same naughty thoughts Iain :doh:

Excellent pics! I am envious of how you folks in the UK are allowed to not only photograph aircraft from the perimeter fence of your bases but are allowed to use ladders against the fences??!!! Out here in the States when you approach the fences at most of our air bases you will soon find security police running you off.

Excellent pics! I am envious of how you folks in the UK are allowed to not only photograph aircraft from the perimeter fence of your bases but are allowed to use ladders against the fences??!!! Out here in the States when you approach the fences at most of our air bases you will soon find security police running you off.

Hey Mike...... try this at a Commercial Airfield and you will be in the same boat......... Conningsby has signs on the fence telling spotters to park safely and take their litter(garbage) home with them :shrug:

Wierd how an active military airfield can be so forgiving, yet a civvy airfield you run the risk of being arrested :doh:

Bexy

yer but bexy that because they want you to pay to go in the bbfm!!, which i may do latter this week!!, im off and have time to get there!!!!!!!!!!!!

and to be fair its free security because we would phone the guard room if somone was being weird i know i did at waddo a few months ago

Edited by markmarples

Hey Mike...... try this at a Commercial Airfield and you will be in the same boat......... Conningsby has signs on the fence telling spotters to park safely and take their litter(garbage) home with them :shrug:

Wierd how an active military airfield can be so forgiving, yet a civvy airfield you run the risk of being arrested :doh:

Bexy

Bex

There is a very good reason for that at civilian airports. Sadly, many bad guys track tails and times of airplanes coming and going.

Is that a post 9/11 development? I have happy memories of being in AZ outside the fence at Luke AFB snapping away with no problems. I have also done the same, without hassle, at Miramar; Oceana; Nellis; Seymour Johnson; and Ellesworth - where the ready alert B1s were maybe 300 metres away with the armed guards clearly able to see us. In fact at Ellsworth, if my memory is correct, there is a McDonalds located outside the fence but under the approach to the northerly runway so you can eat lunch and not lose the chance to snap the incoming aircraft.

I've had similar experiences in Europe - Wittmund is a cracking place to be photographing the last F4Fs; Spangdahlem is ok but needs a bit of walking. However, for pure open access, no fences and a friendly attitude to "spotters" you cannot beat Switzerland where the opublic can even use the on-base cafeterias at Payerne and Meiringen. And then there is Axalp...............

All that said, Coningsby is pretty good.

Edited by SPerx

Is that a post 9/11 development? I have happy memories of being in AZ outside the fence at Luke AFB snapping away with no problems. I have also done the same, without hassle, at Miramar; Oceana; Nellis; Seymour Johnson; and Ellesworth - where the ready alert B1s were maybe 300 metres away with the armed guards clearly able to see us. In fact at Ellsworth, if my memory is correct, there is a McDonalds located outside the fence but under the approach to the northerly runway so you can eat lunch and not lose the chance to snap the incoming aircraft.

I've had similar experiences in Europe - Wittmund is a cracking place to be photographing the last F4Fs; Spangdahlem is ok but needs a bit of walking. However, for pure open access, no fences and a friendly attitude to "spotters" you cannot beat Switzerland where the opublic can even use the on-base cafeterias at Payerne and Meiringen. And then there is Axalp...............

cranwell has no fences and you can sit in a layby and watch the lot,

waddington has a really good viewing area, carpark watch the planes and see xv607 at the same time

scampton has a veiwing area under the approach so the reds land over your head!! and you get a full view of the paractice displays (i can also do that while washing up!!!!)

Bex

There is a very good reason for that at civilian airports. Sadly, many bad guys track tails and times of airplanes coming and going.

Mike,

I can see that, but I feel sorry for the legimate spotters, I myself am a Trainspotter, and I know a few people who have had hassle off the Police for being terrorist suspects...... at the end of the day its bloody stupid, but having witnessed the IRA blowing up trains (I worked on the railways(railroads) then) I agree its better to be safe than sorry, but then, where do we draw the line? I can stand next to a military airfield and do what I want 200 miles away from my home, but I cant stand at the end of the runway of a civvy airfield 6 miles away because of a few physco muppets...... ah bleedin stooooopid LoL

Bexy

EDIT: Oi Marples...... thats XM607 :bleh::tease:

Edited by bexwh773

Very much post 9/11. Out here at Luke you can sit at the end of the runway and snap away as long as you keep your distance (whatever they deem that is) from the fence. On the south end they have dug a deep trench for irrigation to prevent you getting too close.

Mike,

I can see that, but I feel sorry for the legimate spotters, I myself am a Trainspotter, and I know a few people who have had hassle off the Police for being terrorist suspects...... at the end of the day its bloody stupid, but having witnessed the IRA blowing up trains (I worked on the railways(railroads) then) I agree its better to be safe than sorry, but then, where do we draw the line? I can stand next to a military airfield and do what I want 200 miles away from my home, but I cant stand at the end of the runway of a civvy airfield 6 miles away because of a few physco muppets...... ah bleedin stooooopid LoL

Bexy

EDIT: Oi Marples...... thats XM607 :bleh::tease:

i was testing you bexy!! god i see that on a weekly basis!! how did i mess that up

i was testing you bexy!! god i see that on a weekly basis!! how did i mess that up

Old age Mark, thats what it is so i'll let you orf :rofl:

Bexy

well according to your age your older than me! :whistle:

Bugger :doh:

I come out with a :smartass: remark without checking ages :doh::banghead:

Bexy