Airfix Nimrod

regulus

I was thinking a Coastal Command camo whif, complete with D-Day stripes. Perhaps some 60lb rockets under the wings.

If we are whifing, how about one in a South African Air Force scheme rather like their Shackletons? The SAAF tried to buy Nimrods in the late 60s/early 70s but were refused permission due to the arms embargo....

• Like 1

Hurrah!!

Mine will be an MR2 With Hemp, LAG, no Loral pods and dark markings - probably XZ284 of my first "solo". One will be an MR2P with white numbers and lettering, pale national markings and possibly XV228 which was the last Nimrod I flew. Finally possibly one in the new camouflage grey scheme with all the new lumps, bumps and gadgets. Not quite sure where I will display the trio though!!

Now if only Airfix would do a 1/72 VC10K............ :pray:

If we are whifing, how about one in a South African Air Force scheme rather like their Shackletons? The SAAF tried to buy Nimrods in the late 60s/early 70s but were refused permission due to the arms embargo....

I don't normally whif ( <_< ), but that's a great idea.

Just don't build modern British, (Being a feelthy fascist beast who leans toward mottled birds with the crooked cross on the fin).

However, living on the coast, have seen these hemp coloured beasties heading out to sea, very impressive, moving a few Bf109s "Down the Line".

Great news, at least we now know it's on it's way. :speak_cool:

Any hint on how detailed does the bomb bay look?

It quite common to see parked aircraft with the doors open, thats how I want to build mine.

Shaun.

The bomb bays on the Nirod are only fully open for loading. of stores & normally theu are open 1/2 way to relieve Hydralic preasure.

The bomb bays on the Nirod are only fully open for loading. of stores & normally theu are open 1/2 way to relieve Hydralic preasure.

Thanks for the heads up.

I remember climbing under the static example at the Yeovilton air show a few years ago, but did not notise how far the doors had been spread.

Has anyone got a good photo of the inside of the bay?

Edited by Shaun

The bomb bays on the Nimrod are only fully open for loading. of stores & normally theu are open 1/2 way to relieve Hydralic preasure.

I think there is potential for a little confusion here:

The Nimrod bomb bay doors essentially have three positions

- Closed (obviously).

- Open - where the doors are roughly perpendicular to the ground and have the characteristic tiny ground clearance.

- Stores loading - where the doors fold back under the wing root to be (roughly) parallel to the ground

The only other position is when in the closed position and the hydraulic pressure bleeds away and they "droop" slightly.

Hope that helps.

Incidentally, anyone know if there is a good 1/72nd B-57 out there? (The weapon not the aircraft).

Edited by Roland Pulfrew
  • Thanks 1

I think there is potential for a little confusion here:

The Nimrod bomb bay doors essentially have three positions

- Closed (obviously).

- Open - where the doors are roughly perpendicular to the ground and have the characteristic tiny ground clearance.

- Stores loading - where the doors fold back under the wing root to be (roughly) parallel to the ground

The only other position is when in the closed position and the hydraulic pressure bleeds away and they "droop" slightly.

Hope that helps.

Incidentally, anyone know if there is a good 1/72nd B-57 out there? (The weapon not the aircraft).

Thanks for the extra info :thumbsup2:

I was planning the build mine in the "open" position, like the one I saw at Yeovilton.

Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...

this has already been done for the SAAF SIG stand. iirc it was martin higgs of the what-if SIG who made the model.

trevor

If you've signed up for the Airfix Club newsletter, you should have one today which says the Nimrod is expected early next year, but there will be a preview in the first Club magazine, due in November.

After all this time I can wait a bit longer!

John

If you've signed up for the Airfix Club newsletter, you should have one today which says the Nimrod is expected early next year, but there will be a preview in the first Club magazine, due in November.

After all this time I can wait a bit longer!

John

For some reason, I got 3 newsletters a couple of minutes apart. What's all that about then? :hmmm: