Bruntingthorpe

Gents,

I think my reply was miss understood, my interest in all things aviation took a sabbatical during the nineties so my knowledge of these matters are mostly based on what I am told by other people, in this instance I was chatting to the people responsible for her re-spray and the reasons why that colour was chosen, they have also publicly stated on a.n. other forum their reasons for the colour.

As has been clearly clarified by DamienB, a misunderstanding has happened and something is not quite right, so in this instance I am not in a position to try and justify what has been done (as I am nothing to do with the Victor or her re-paint directly), and it is prudent to leave it to those in the know first hand so to say.

So in summary, I was not trying to enforce my limited knowledge on the subject, just repeating what was told to me and has been published elsewhere.

Sorry for the confusion :blush:

JB.

It is amazing that in the face of overwhelming photographic evidence and the testimony of those who were there, that whoever "restored" the Victor decided that the paint they found whilst sanding off the hemp was desert pink and that that therefore was the colour it must have served in and that every other source of information was wrong. Mind boggling that they had the confidence (or arrogance) to do this.

It is good that it has been repaired and repainted. What a shame that in the process they have made such a significant airframe look like a joke, though.

Van

Edited by Van

I guess things could be sorted if by lucky chance there is a photograph of the aircraft rubbed down showing the underlying paint and the new paint close to. I've got one of those...

Peter it doesn't matter what photos you have. Whatever you have has been misinterpreted. It is a simple fact that the RAF Victor fleet was NEVER painted in desert pink. There are stacks of photographs available from the days immediately pre Gulf War, during the Gulf War and immediately post Gulf War all over the internet. None of them show a desert pink Victor - that's because they wore a hemp and lt acft grey colour scheme - the same as the Nimrod MR2s and VC10Ks. The RAF does not and did not have the time or capability to paint and repaint aircraft of that size that quickly. Hemp and grey actually works quite well in a desert operation so there was actually no need to repaint those aircraft any other colour (annoyingly for us modellers the all over grey now used on so many types is even better, particularly at medium and high altitude).

I am not knocking the efforts of those at Brunty who have done a brilliant job of preserving so many different types :clap2: , but on this one (the colour) they have simply got it wrong.

first off I'm not getting myself embroiled in the forum discussion, the point I made is that the pictures that I have taken are of the nose section of the aircraft showing the new paint, original green primer and the original previous colour all together in a single shot. I was offering to post them and you can then make up your own minds as to what it shows and compare the new and old colours side by side.. The images were taken in the hangar part way through the respray. I'm not an 'expert' when it comes to what had what and when, the images do show the new and old colours very clearly.

If you want to see them, just say so.

Those are great pictures!

As for the Victor and it's paint; all I'll say is why on earth didn't they paint it the older Grey/green camo of the 70s and early 80s? That's how Victors looked best IMO.