Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Is there a way to find out which aircraft are with which squadron, would like to model an up to datebook QRA airframe?

Not really, because the aircraft move between squadrons on a fairly regular basis. Most don’t even have squadron markings anymore. Even when they do that’s no guarantee that the markings match the squadron actually standing QRA or operating the jet. Best bet is to look for photos of a QRA and go with that. 

Only thing to note is that if you want to load Meteor you’ll need to model a Tranche 2 or Tranche 3 jet. Most (but not all) of the ZJ9XX aircraft are Tranche 1 but the ZK3XX jets are Tranche 2 and 3.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Since I'm about to restart modelling after a few decades of non-activity I've bought a few cheap models to experiment with the 'new' way of glueing, painting etc. For this reason I've bought e.g. the Revell 1/72 Typhoon.

Of course it needs to be the Austrian version and since I found out that nowadays modellers even complain about the shape of maintenance openings, I was surprised that it's next to impossible to find accurate info about the various colors used for the Typhoon.

Another problem is the lack of color accuracy. To find out which companies colors I'm going to use, I've bought FS36375 from AK (Real Color), Hataka and MRP. 

Rather surprsingly only MRP matches my FS 595a color chip. Hataka is darker and AK 'Real Color' is even darker than the Hataka version and very close to the noticable darker FS36320.

Some companies incorrectly claim that barley grey is BS 629 instead of 626 and that FS36314 matches BS 626 which isn't the case either and the Hasegawa and Italeri colors are wrong as well in many cases.

Many complaints concerning Typhoon colors seem to focus to the 'fact' that the 'correct' colors are too dark on the models, especially in 1/72 scale and this sparks theories that Austrian (and Italian) Typhoons are painted in FS36492.

If scale factor isn't applied and the 'theoretically' correct color is too dark, it's no surprise that the model Typhoon doesn't even look remotely realistic.

Since the radome on all Typhoons is BS 626 it's a good starting point to compare the fuselage colors with this color. Although the radome darkens, it's easy to notice that the combination of FS36492 and BS 626 can't exist since the radome color is usually noticeable brighter than the fuselage, not vice versa. 

For my own troubleshooting and out of curiosity I've made a color sheet and I thought that it might be useful in this thread since it might be of interest to others as well.   

The colors are matching the sRGB numbers and the approximate 1/72 scale colors have been achieved by adding 20% white to the original colors.

https://pasteboard.co/Ig9j0Mh.jpg 

pasteboard images apparently can't be inserted in this forum. 

Edited by PZL104
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

(even if it is conflicting) 

I assume that the conflicting info comes from editing/updating because the text says e.g.

Spanish Air Force - FS36231 

and  below 

Austrian Air Force - FS36492 (the same as the Spanish Air Force)

and

Italian Air Force - FS36280 (Approximately - has also been quoted as FS36492)

44 minutes ago, Bobski said:

To clarify the colour question, Spain, Austria and Oman are all FS36231. Italy is FS36280.

I’ll correct the error in the original post.

Thank you very much :)  Your posts are basically the only reliable source I've found after more than week of searching the net.

Highly appreciated :) :)  

Edited by PZL104
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

When I referred to 'conflicting' information, I meant absolutely no offence to either @PZL104 or @Bobski - I really appreciate the effort that you have both put into to clarifying the details of Typhoon colours!

I definitely didn't feel offended :) I just wanted to point out where or what are the mentioned issues. And thank you for you kind words, although what I posted isn't even a tiny fraction of the info Bobski posted!!!

• 3 months later...

Hello to all.
My name is Dmitry. I am a modeller from Ukraine. Sorry for my english. A have not enought practice.

At the moment I am doing a model of the Eurofighter Typhoon UK Royal Air Force. Scale 1/72 Hasegawa kit. I have a very serious approach to the modeling process. Here are some photos of my work in progress:

02.jpg 07.jpg 03.jpg 05.jpg 01.jpg

02.jpg 05.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 11.jpg

I have a question. As you know, the color standart of Eurofighters of Great Britain is BS 381c-626. In my practice I use GSI Mr.Hobby paints. These paints are of excellent quality, but their palette does not have the right color standard. Does anyone have a ready-made recipe on how to get the right color using GSI Mr.Hobby paints?

I had a lot of talk about this with other modelers in my country, but we still did not come to a common opinion. That is why I decided to register on this forum and ask my question. I hope for an answer.

Edited by dimaADA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dimaADA said:

I have a question. As you know, the color standart of Eurofighters of Great Britain is BS 381c-626. In my practice I use GSI Mr.Hobby paints. These paints are of excellent quality, but their palette does not have the right color standard. Does anyone have a ready-made recipe on how to get the right color using GSI Mr.Hobby paints?

BS 381c-626 is RAF Camouflage Grey. Mr Hobby do RAF Camouflage Grey as a standard colour within their range that is very good and I have used it on several models to date. They refer to it as Barley Grey, which is an unofficial name for RAF Camouflage Grey. It is H334.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobski said:

BS 381c-626 is RAF Camouflage Grey. Mr Hobby do RAF Camouflage Grey as a standard colour within their range that is very good and I have used it on several models to date. They refer to it as Barley Grey, which is an unofficial name for RAF Camouflage Grey. It is H334.

Thank you very much! We discussed this color, but we had doubts about it.

• 4 months later...

Hi all

I've been reading through all the pages in this excellent post.

I'm currently doing the Italeri 1/72 kit of the DA-6 prototype. 

Does anyone could point out which is the color (FS) for this prototype? I'm doing it Spanish so should I use FS36231/B626?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

10 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Hi all

I've been reading through all the pages in this excellent post.

I'm currently doing the Italeri 1/72 kit of the DA-6 prototype. 

Does anyone could point out which is the color (FS) for this prototype? I'm doing it Spanish so should I use FS36231/B626?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

I'm not sure to be honest. You could go with the Spanish grey, but photos of it appear lighter (almost RAF camouflage grey). Unfortunately there's no way to check the aircraft and determine what is correct because it crashed...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

After cracking the canopy on my 1/48 Revell Typhoon I luckily received a replacement from RoG when they reissued the kit in the Tiger Meet scheme.  That was over a year ago.  It sat in the box since then, but I'm finally getting back to it.  I came back to this SIG to refresh my memory on what I was doing and discover that most of the pictures in the thread are no longer available.  The links to Airliners.net still work, but most photos embedded in the threads are gone.  Luckily, a few years ago, I saved a bunch of them to my desktop modeling folder but if anyone tries to see them now they're out of luck.  Any way to get the photos back?  I realize the photobucket debacle a couple of years ago really messed things up on several forums.  

My kit is the 1/48th Revell Eurofighter Typhoon (Kit #04568) single seat version.  I plan on building it as a Luftwaffe version. Is there a diagram or photos showing the locations of all of the lighter gray areas: leading edges of the canards, wings, and vertical tail; engine "fingers" ahead of the nozzles; ends of the wingtip pods; etc?  There were photos of unpainted examples where these areas are painted, which made them easy to ID.  I think there were also photos of a model of an unpainted (orange/brown primer) that showed these light gray areas. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello fellows!

I have one question about Luftwaffe Typhoons... Are they using the PIRATE? Most kits and pictures shows Luftwaffe planes without this sistem... But I've found some picture of them using it.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Mibach said:

Hello fellows!

I have one question about Luftwaffe Typhoons... Are they using the PIRATE? Most kits and pictures shows Luftwaffe planes without this sistem... But I've found some picture of them using it.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

I think it depends on the standard of the aircraft. Your best bet is to look online for references of the aircraft you are looking to build and see.

20 hours ago, Bobski said:

I think it depends on the standard of the aircraft. Your best bet is to look online for references of the aircraft you are looking to build and see.

Thanks for your answer Bobski!!! 

Best wishes from Brazil!

German Air Force / Luftwaffe did not order PIRATE, therefore they are not installed in regular jets.

Only once a PIRATE was installed in a regular twin-seater (30+42  GT015) to support the campaign in Switzerland.

The exception from this are the German test aircraft 98+03, 98+07 and 98+08 (IPA3, 7 & 8).

Hi, does anyone have a good links to some reference pics of the rear section of the cockpit (single seater) just behind the seat? It’s the bit I like to call the parcel shelf (sorry, have no idea what it’s really called!) Most of the pic links on this post seem to be dead for me. Thanks!

Evening all,

Great thread for all things Typhoon.

My question is mainly for @Bobski. I see from a lot of your posts that you work at Warton (I live down the road in Leyland).

I currently have a 1/32 single seater Typhoon in the stash and I'm looking to add to my previous 1/32 replica of AX by having her join up with IPA6.

Bit of a wild question here but would you happen to know the sizes for the tail markings on IPA6 (flash and Royal Lancashire Air Force badge)? I'm really struggling to find decals for this jet or DA4.

Many thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, LewisS said:

Bit of a wild question here but would you happen to know the sizes for the tail markings on IPA6 (flash and Royal Lancashire Air Force badge)? I'm really struggling to find decals for this jet or DA4.

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry, no I don’t.