Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

18 hours ago, Roy LeMont said:

I'm confused, not an unusual situation, but according to this article  LINK  it sounds as if German Eurofighters do not currently have an air to ground capability.  Is that true?

Cheers,

Roy

I can't comment on press speculation or on the operational capability of an operator. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any sort of reference page or website that would list all 1/48 accessories for the Revell Kit as well as any build articles? EDIT: Scalemates has what I need.

Edited by Blue_Centurion
Found
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi folks.

I am building ZH590 and it is currently displayed at Duxford so I am using these pics found on the web as my main reference point, however I am unsure of one thing and that is this; as ZH590 is currently displayed it has all 4 wing pylons attached to each wing but I can find no pics of this plane ever flying with all four attached  did it ever have all 4 attached or is this just for display purposes? 2  often seem the norm.

Great thread by the way and thanks for some of the snippets of info that have been very useful.

Thanks

Gary.

Edited by Head in the clouds.

19 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Hi folks.

I am building ZH590 and it is currently displayed at Duxford so I am using these pics found on the web as my main reference point, however I am unsure of one thing and that is this; as ZH590 is currently displayed it has all 4 wing pylons attached to each wing but I can find no pics of this plane ever flying with all four attached  did it ever have all 4 attached or is this just for display purposes? 2  often seem the norm.

Great thread by the way and thanks for some of the snippets of info that have been very useful.

Thanks

Gary.

It would have always had the two wingtip launchers as they are a permanent fit. Other pylons would have been as required. Not sure how often they were required though.

• Like 1

Bobski, if I may ask another question which is connected to my reply above, I am going to model my kit on the photo of DA4 refuelling from a VC10, which I believe happened sometime around 2001/2002, did it have those almost chrome like panels on the fusalage at this time and if so did these ever change?

Cheers

Gary

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Bobski, if I may ask another question which is connected to my reply above, I am going to model my kit on the photo of DA4 refuelling from a VC10, which I believe happened sometime around 2001/2002, did it have those almost chrome like panels on the fusalage at this time and if so did these ever change?

Cheers

Gary

They should be the same colour as the airframe. The only photos I’ve seen showing a metal finish on those panels are of the aircraft on display at Duxford.

• Julien unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Cheers guys.

First of all, a very big thank you for this extremely useful thread.

I am warming up to building ZJ927 from 3 Sqn during Operation Ellamy, and I have some questions regarding the 56 LGB marks.

Were they applied after the end of the conflict, or were they applied successively during the conflict?

I want to do the model with a full load of PWII's, AMRAAM and ASRAAM, and if the LGB marks were applied after the end of the conflict, this loadout  combined with the LGB marks would not be very likely.

If the marks were applied successively I suppose I could choose any number less than 56 and be home safe.

Your input and suggestions are as always welcome.

Cheers

Christian

4 minutes ago, Gambrinus said:

Cheers guys.

First of all, a very big thank you for this extremely useful thread.

I am warming up to building ZJ927 from 3 Sqn during Operation Ellamy, and I have some questions regarding the 56 LGB marks.

Were they applied after the end of the conflict, or were they applied successively during the conflict?

I want to do the model with a full load of PWII's, AMRAAM and ASRAAM, and if the LGB marks were applied after the end of the conflict, this loadout  combined with the LGB marks would not be very likely.

If the marks were applied successively I suppose I could choose any number less than 56 and be home safe.

Your input and suggestions are as always welcome.

Cheers

Christian

I believe that the markings were applied progressively through the campaign. 

Typical load with EPW2s would be one or two ASRAAMs and probably two AMRAAMs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers guys.

I have another question regarding my British Typhoon build..

On the front of the rudder, where it is closest to the fin (I hope I'm using the right terms) there is a stripe of differently coloured material. Wear resistant, I suspect. In some pictures it appears metallic, in others lightly coloured and yet others rather dark.

I am building ZJ927, and I have a picture where the stripe is rather dark.

What is the right colour? If, indeed, there, is a "right" colour.

Best regards

Christian

Edited by Gambrinus

6 hours ago, Gambrinus said:

Cheers guys.

I have another question regarding my British Typhoon build..

On the front of the rudder, where it is closest to the fin (I hope I'm using the right terms) there is a stripe of differently coloured material. Wear resistant, I suspect. In some pictures it appears metallic, in others lightly coloured and yet others rather dark.

I am building ZJ927, and I have a picture where the stripe is rather dark.

What is the right colour? If, indeed, there, is a "right" colour.

Best regards

Christian

It’s metal. I usually mask this area and spray it Alclad Aluminium, then tone it down with a light misting of Alclad Steel.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, it's me again.

I am looking for a picture showing the two flare dispensers loaded with live flares. As I assume they were during the conflict in Libya in 2011.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Christian

On 8/27/2018 at 11:45 AM, Gambrinus said:

Hi folks, it's me again.

I am looking for a picture showing the two flare dispensers loaded with live flares. As I assume they were during the conflict in Libya in 2011.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Christian

If you go to the Eurofighter homepage (www.eurofighter.com) and search for QRA photos you should find some.

On 2/24/2018 at 1:59 PM, Head in the clouds. said:

Hi folks.

Thanks

Gary.

A bit late on this but  the aircraft has  SIX wing pylons. Each wing has three removable pylon stations  and one permanent missile launcher.  Please note that the development  aircraft  had inner wing pylons that  are different design to the  in service  versions.

Selwyn

Pylons

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello! 

I looking any news about decals of RAF Typhoon Display Team 2018 in 1/48 or 1/144? 

Searching also for Typhoon's decals from Flight 1435 in 1/48. I know about some old painting but prefer more contemporary outfit - for example like this:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8157374

Very interesting is view of full loaded Eurofighters from Akrotiri - if you can recommend any set of decals (1/48) for any aircraft from this place I will be very happy.

And the last question (at the moment). What do you think about resin set of exhaust from Olimp? Is it worth buying? Maybe anybody has better pictures of this set?

13 minutes ago, Woit said:

Hello! 

I looking any news about decals of RAF Typhoon Display Team 2018 in 1/48 or 1/144? 

Searching also for Typhoon's decals from Flight 1435 in 1/48. I know about some old painting but prefer more contemporary outfit - for example like this:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8157374

Very interesting is view of full loaded Eurofighters from Akrotiri - if you can recommend any set of decals (1/48) for any aircraft from this place I will be very happy.

And the last question (at the moment). What do you think about resin set of exhaust from Olimp? Is it worth buying? Maybe anybody has better pictures of this set?

I've seen nothing about any decals for the RAF Typhoon display in 2018. The only 1435 flight decals I'm aware of were done by Model Alliance several years ago and are long out of print. I don't believe any have been done recently.

Typhoons on ops from Akrotiri don't have any squadron markings, so you just need the national roundels, aircraft tail numbers and white fin codes (the codes have recently changed and are now the last three digits of the aircraft tail number). These should be able to be made up from standard lettering/numbers. 

The resin exhausts from Olimp are garbage. The look very nice, but I tried two sets and both were massively (and irreperably) oversized. I would avoid them. Their weapons set is OK if a little basic. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...