Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

What a great thread. I am just starting a Revell 1/48th kit that will be an RAF aircraft so all very useful.

For a popular type there is a surprising dearth of aftermarket. I have the Eduard cockpit set and plan on getting the Reskit wheels and exhausts as well as the A2Zee clear parts. It looks like I am going to have to detail the seat as I cannot find an aftermarket replacement. Anything else I should consider?

Will

Hello Will,

some panel lines have to be scribed onto the front fuselage sides. The equipment bay hatches just behind the cockpit are missing and those panel lines under the nose aren't very accurate either (I'm comparing my kit with ZJ914). Then there are details like the AC unit outlet that requires attention. Typhoon's landing gear bays are very busy affairs with hoses and pipes. Even some stencil decals are needed.

My kit suffers from poor part fit especially around the fuselage spine.

Cheers,

Antti

• 7 months later...

I have a question, done plenty of eurofighters both RAF and luftweaffe to date and the instructions never specified painting the leading edges a different colour save on the camouflaged RAF special, however Italeri have you paint them the same darker grey (which I've also forgotten as its been a while since my last one) as the canard edges and tail? This correct ? 

19 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I have a question, done plenty of eurofighters both RAF and luftweaffe to date and the instructions never specified painting the leading edges a different colour save on the camouflaged RAF special, however Italeri have you paint them the same darker grey (which I've also forgotten as its been a while since my last one) as the canard edges and tail? This correct ? 

Yes, the main wings leading edges are of the same color as the tail's and the canard's ones, however, not the entire slat!!! - just the very thin area of the leading edge!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a good photo of the APU exhaust? I bought the Phase Hangar resin one and think actually just using a flattened piece of pipe would look better.

I have looked at all my references and none have a really good shot of the area.

Thank you

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Me again, italeri include a spare pair of small pylons as spare, are they real or something italeri made up? 

edit: answered my own question, can't see them in any photos of the dvelopment aircraft and found all the pylons in my spares so obviously italeri made them up 

831-B064-E-6065-4-DDC-9-D2-E-ABFE5-EFF13

Edited by PhantomBigStu

19 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Me again, italeri include a spare pair of small pylons as spare, are they real or something italeri made up? 

edit: answered my own question, can't see them in any photos of the dvelopment aircraft and found all the pylons in my spares so obviously italeri made them up 

831-B064-E-6065-4-DDC-9-D2-E-ABFE5-EFF13

Not familiar with this kit but just had a look on scalemates at the instructions. On the real aircraft the underwing fuel tanks have an integral pylon so you would take off the normal stores pylon to fit tanks. The two centre wing pylons are just that what you use without the tank fitted.  The kit tanks have seperate pylons which is wrong.

The top and bottom pylons are Integrated Tip Stub pylons (ITSPL), missile rails which are permanently fitted to the outer wing stations.  The marked as unused on the instructions outer pylons are the outer wing pylons that would be fitted between the ITSPL and tank. Most kits do not supply the inner wing pylons, fitted between the tank and the fuselage so they would need to be sourced aftermarket.

be aware that the inner wing pylons on the prototype Eurofighters were very different to the ones used operationally.

The kit does not have a centre fuselage pylon.

by the way from day one RAF Typhoon  never used sidewinders  only ASRAAM.

Selwyn

8 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

@Selwyn had another look, my understanding of the correct pylon sequence is as per the left, it’s clear now the italeri spares are the front half of the optional outer pylon which is good as I’ve only one pair of the bomb ones and one scratched pair of missle ones 9821-A4-C5-A497-4-D15-AA85-5-DEAC91358-F

Bit confused on this.

Part 49 in the kit are the ITSPL and are good to go.

The pylons used on the tanks pt 46a can be used as the bomb pylon if you remove the locating tab for the tank.

the two "unused" pylons are the outer wing pylons not the front half, they are short pylons. they in real life can be ftted with a missile rail to carry two more AAM.

What underwing configuration are you trying to acheive?

Selwyn

I'm not after a specific config as I'm going with the standard fixed outers and tanks on the main for my current build, just trying to get what I have itendified for future builds. This is my current understanding of it, I’m now confused as I’ve never seen a short pylon only the full length second one. Apologies I suck at communicating at the best of times @Selwyn

eyro.png

Edited by PhantomBigStu

5 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I'm not after a specific config as I'm going with the standard fixed outers and tanks on the main for my current build, just trying to get what I have itendified for future builds. This is my current understanding of it, I’m now confused as I’ve never seen a short pylon only the full length second one. Apologies I suck at communicating at the best of times @Selwyn

eyro.png

Quick note, the centre fuselage pylon is only fitted if there us a recce/laser pod loaded. No pod no pylon. Otherwise a drop tank which has its integral pylon. the tanks are the same ones as fitted to the wing, they are universal fit on typhoon.

Selwyn