Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

So,

Any of you up for sharing some of your photos for dressing up our instructions and adding a photo album on the Two Mikes website? Some great shots here!

Also, Dare I ask if anyone has a good shot of a fully equipmented pilot so I can show one in our instructions for our upcoming seated pilot mastered by our own Skii?

PM me f interested in helping out.

Cheers everyone!!

Mike

So,

Any of you up for sharing some of your photos for dressing up our instructions and adding a photo album on the Two Mikes website? Some great shots here!

Also, Dare I ask if anyone has a good shot of a fully equipmented pilot so I can show one in our instructions for our upcoming seated pilot mastered by our own Skii?

Cheers everyone!!

Mike

Hi Mike

I can't help with photos of kitted up aircrew, however I'll have a dig through my various photos and see what I can find for you. I'll drop you an email in a few days, as I'm visiting family at the moment and don't have access to my own computer.

So,

Cheers everyone!!

Mike

Mike,

I've sent you a couple of PM's in the last week or so offering anything that you want, from here, my own site or flickr account. I haven't heard anything so I'm guessing there's message problem somewhere. Let me know if and what you want and I'll send it along.

Gary

I've just discovered (from Marcel on ARC) that Aires have done a set of resin nozzles for the Revell kit. Like the Trumpeter nozzles, they have done an "early" and a "late" set, but as far as I'm aware there is no difference. I did a bit of work with the guys at Rolls-Royce on engine support, so I might drop them a note when I'm back at work to find out the truth!

I've just discovered (from Marcel on ARC) that Aires have done a set of resin nozzles for the Revell kit.

There are listed on the Website as the next releases, I'll be getting a set of these.

Any news on the Two mikes resin fin Exhust update for the Revel kit?

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

There are listed on the Website as the next releases, I'll be getting a set of these.

Any news on the Two mikes resin fin Exhust update for the Revel kit?

Shaun.

I'm sure Mike will post an update on the fin, but as soon as it's ready I will be getting one for my next build (I've got a cunning plan to deal with the lack of detail on the kit fin in my current build).

• 4 weeks later...

A quick bit of extra info that I've just uncovered - cockpit colours!

A lot of people (myself included) have quoted "Dark Admiralty Grey", based on the fact that this is used in most other RAF jets, however I've been able to check and this isn't actually correct.

The correct grey for the cockpit tub is FS 36231, with the controls picked out in FS 36081. Reference to photos will help pick out the other colours, and all black areas are matt black.

Hope that's useful to people!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What stencilling is used on the Saudi Typhoons? Anyone know.

The stencilling is as per the RAF aircraft, with the exception that on Saudi aircraft there is an Arabic seat triangle in addition to the English one, and there is also a new dual-language stencil for the "Danger Air Intake" either side of the intake. The rest of the stencils are unchanged, however the grey in the lettering has been changed to make it easier to read on the new two-tone camo scheme. On RAF aircraft, the grey stencils are Dark Camo grey, but on Saudi aircraft the grey stencils are FS 36152, which is slightly darker.

Thats a bit of a blow. I was hoping to use the Revell stencilling.

You can use the Revell stencils for most of them, but they wouldn't be 100% accurate. Then again, there aren't any correct stencils available so until someone releases some those are probably the best you can do without using the stencils from TwoBobs' RAF Typhoon sheet.

Can anyone advise, which is the most accurate of the three 1/32 scale versions available, and also is there any seated RAF pilots available ?.

Best Regards. Chris.

The new Revell kit wins hands down. The old Revell kit isn't even worth bothering about (it was made before even the prototypes had been built) and the Trumpeter kit is a very expensive joke, copied largely from the Italeri 1/48th scale kit. Off the top of my head, I can recall the following issues:

The rear fuselage is completely misshapen. Trumpeter have given it an almost square cross-section when it should be more round. This is an error found on the Italeri 1/48th scale kit.

The 'petals' around the rear fuselage behind the nozzles are oversized and inaccurate. This is an error found on the Italeri kit.

The nozzles are undersized, leading to an unrealistic slope between the rear fuselage and the nozzles.

The wingtip DASS pods have windows in them. This is only applicable for a few of the pre-production Development Aircraft and is completely inaccurate for a production aircraft. It is an error found on the Italeri kit.

The cooling air intake on the bottom of the DASS pods is ludicrously oversized. This is an error found on the Italeri kit.

The flare dispensers are too narrow and the tubes are too small. They should also be angled rearwards rather than straight down.

The PIRATE sensor on the nose is completely incorrect and very similar to the one found in the Italeri kit.

The grille above the intake on either side of the fuselage is incorrect for a production machine (it's closer to the prototypes). This is also in the Italeri kit.

The canopy framework is oversized. This is an error found in the Italeri kit.

The join between the radome and the fuselage is too close to the canopy. There should be a fairing between the two of them.

The cockpit is incorrect.

The seat is appalling.

The AMRAAM recesses have no detail for the launchers (admittedly Revell's detail is pretty poor as well, but at least they made the effort).

The APU exhaust is undersized.

The crew access ladder is in the wrong place, but it is also the wrong shape and deploys incorrectly

All of the stores pylons are incorrect in size and shape (the inboard pylons would be undersized on a 1/48th scale kit, let alone a 1/32nd scale kit)

Trumpeter have modelled the supersonic 1,000 litre external tanks, but they have made them to be fitted to the centre-wing stores pylon (as in the Italeri kit). This is incorrect, as the 1,000 litre tanks have an integral pylon that is very different from the centre-wing stores pylon.

In short, if you're looking for accuracy then buy the Revell kit for half the price of the Trumpeter kit, and use the difference to buy some decent Aftermarket for it.

As for seated RAF pilots, as far as I know there aren't any. I know TwoMikes have just done one in 1/48th, but whether it will be scaled up is a question you'll have to ask Mike.

Edited by Bobski

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got myself sorted now. Not a good time to be using a unfamiliar laptop for photo editing. These were taken yesterday (9th September) when there were five marked aircraft for 6 Sqn on the Coningsby ASP. From looking at other shots and various logs from the week it looks like at least seven jets were marked last weekend. Locals at Coningsby yesterday believed that they will still be in residence until the end of the month, when they will transfer in groups upto Leuchars. All jets besides one are in the ZK3** series, without PIRATE, the exception being ZJ946/EH, which is a transfer from 17 Sqn.

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

Few others;

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Hang on guys and I'll put them on here. I couldn't remember my password as my main computer is up the blink, give me a few minutes.

Edit; here you go.

Gary

Gary - I forgot you were on here too - if I'd remembered I would have PM'd you and asked if I could post them (D'oh!) Thanks for adding the pics!

Glad to be of help gents. I gather that four jets have gone upto Leuchars today for the show, but are still expected to return to Coningsby afterwards. I'll have another opportunity in a couple of weeks to get upto Coningsby to hopefully get some more decent pics if they're still about by then. Just a word of caution about that Air Data book on the Typhoon; it's packed full of decent reference pics but be very wary of the labelling of both the profiles and photo's, as there's quite a few errors there.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Glad to be of help gents. I gather that four jets have gone upto Leuchars today for the show, but are still expected to return to Coningsby afterwards. I'll have another opportunity in a couple of weeks to get upto Coningsby to hopefully get some more decent pics if they're still about by then. Just a word of caution about that Air Data book on the Typhoon; it's packed full of decent reference pics but be very wary of the labelling of both the profiles and photo's, as there's quite a few errors there.

Gary

Indeed, the less said about some of the colour callouts the better!

I gather that four jets have gone upto Leuchars today for the show, but are still expected to return to Coningsby afterwards.

Pretty emotional day what with the BoB anniversary, the Vulcan, the Red Arrows, and a nice touch at the end leading up to the sunset ceremony; `The Past`- a Spitfire and Hurricane fly-by, `The Present`- a fly-by by four Treble one Tornadoes, and `The Future`- when 6Sqn Typhoon `EH` powered down the flightline.

There was a tangible feelgood mood and appreciation at Leuchars today, perfect backdrop to welcome the Tiffie.

Thanks to all concerned and here`s to `The Future`. :goodjob:

2-7.jpg

3-4.jpg

4-5.jpg

5-4.jpg

Cheers, Ian :cheers: