Italeri Chinook HC1 1:48 - is out at last

Gary West

a few appearing on Ebay.....

Got mine already, bought on ebay, then picked up from Plastic Pastimes in Poole.

Don't know much about the Chinook, but the kit looks good, waiting now for Eduard to catch up....

Got mine already, bought on ebay, then picked up from Plastic Pastimes in Poole.

Don't know much about the Chinook, but the kit looks good, waiting now for Eduard to catch up....

I bought mine today from Salisbury Model Centre - like you I will wait for Eduard to catch up. Panel lines and some detail a bit clunky, bit not too bad a starting point - will be a first for me - a hecilopter.

What're the changes between the HC1 and 2 Gary??

Just how big will this be when finished?

Modelling a Chinook appeals but I have a feeling finding space for it to go aftewards will be bloody difficult :(

Fuselage length is about 300mm but its the rotor diameter which will be the space absorber - at 381mm (60ft) they give a maximum length of 627mm (98'9") - so overall shelf space of 627x381mm!

Externally, most obvious things like antennae, and aerials, and things like chaff dispensers. The early Chinooks were quite sleek but now a days they have more lumps than the Elephant man

Ta, Gary. Any publications/articles/websites which show the differences? I like lumps, me :bouncy: yum, yum...

Modelling a Chinook appeals but I have a feeling finding space for it to go aftewards will be bloody difficult :(

Solution time Will - I built the 1:72 Italeri HC1 and after I assembled the 2 rotor's I never secured them with any glue - they fit nicely without any. I assume this will be the same, so go on, build your Chinook but don't secure the rotor assemblies and you can remove for better storage.

We have a couple of Chinook engineers in the club at Farnboriugh, most comments above are valid, but the biggest problem is the blades, they aren't RAF type blades. Italeri did this with the 1/72 kit and our Chairman 'Otto' , through Dick Ward of modeldecal fame, managed to get Revell to convince Italeri to do the right blades for their issue. Seems like learning never took place...... I have photos of the correct blades which I took at Odiham in the blade bay, will dig out and post when I get time. I know Dick Ward has asked Otto to write a full brief on the kit, this will also go on the IPMS Farnborough web site when done. Oh how good this kit could have been.

Chris

I have a few Wocka photos from airshows etc. I saw this kit recently in the shop and I'm tempted to get it and have a go at scratching the extra parts to make it into the HC.2. It shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish with a bit of wire and some plastic rod/sheet.

That's some useful info there Chris. I've just (as in within the last 30 minutes) picked up the kit from my LHS. I'm going to spend some time studying some photos of the HC.2 before I try to update the kit. Most of the lumps and bumps I'm planning to make out of styrene, I'm not sure about the internal bits (I'm not sure what comes in the kit as I'm at work and haven't had a chance to look through the kit yet.)

I've had a poke through the kit and it all looks good. The seating inside is all included (thankfully as I was dreading scratchbuilding all of those seats!) although it is in the open rather than folded position. Mine also came with a print of the box art, which is kinda cool, and a small booklet detailing the history of the Chinook, showing the various colour-schemes in the kit and also with a very handy walkaround on an Italian CH-47C. This will be useful for adding smaller detailing parts.

I do have a question about the rotors though. The kit, I believe, comes with the non-RAF style blades and I'd like to know what significant differences there are between the kit blades and the RAF blades. I'd like them to be as accurate as possible, but if the differences are only slight then I can live with the kit blades (they look OK to me, but then I'm not expert).

I do have a question about the rotors though. The kit, I believe, comes with the non-RAF style blades and I'd like to know what significant differences there are between the kit blades and the RAF blades. I'd like them to be as accurate as possible, but if the differences are only slight then I can live with the kit blades (they look OK to me, but then I'm not expert).

I started a thread over on Helicopter News (HKN) about the blades, I'm sure I've seen some after market replacements/updates but can't find the link!

Info on HKN should be of some use though

I started a thread over on Helicopter News (HKN) about the blades, I'm sure I've seen some after market replacements/updates but can't find the link!

Info on HKN should be of some use though

Thanks. It looks like the blades are the right width, I just have to tweat the angle at the rotor head end a little (if I read the info correctly)

Hi there,

New user, but hoping that I can get an answer from the knowledge base here, to a long standing question. I have wanted to model this for long time, and depict the aircraft that I had the good fortune to fly on in Philadelphia, pre-delivery to the RAF in the early 1980s. I have several photos of the trip, but cannot recall the serial number. She was the penultimate Chinook delivered from the attrition batch after Operation Corporate.

Does anyone know the serial?

I have all the other markings, just need this.

Thanks

Graham Holmes